4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

timing belt adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004 | 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

timing belt adjustment

This may be an easy one...

My 97 is appraoching 120K. Rumors have it that I ought to have the timing belt adjusted. Is this really the case, or should I wait for something to go wrong? How much does this kind of operation typically cost? I had one informal estimate come in at "a mint."

Also, my clutch is going and I bet I should replace it soon. Should I do both of these things at once? It seems to me that would be good since the whole engine is going to be ripped apart anyway. Is that right or are these two completely different jobs?

Then one more thing: A strange vibration can be heard from inside the car but not on the outside — even with my head under the hood. This is no rythmetic vibration at all, it doesn't change with an RPM increase, the only way I can get rid of it is, when idleing, I tap on the gas quick and lightly, but it will come back if anything else is done with the engine. It started out small when I bought the car a couple of years ago and has been increasing ever since, although I didn't hear it much at all last winter. The vibration comes sort of in waves and is different every cycle. It can be felt slightly in a number of areas, such as the gas pedal, the steering wheel, and on the outside of the car (but again, not heard). It's not loud enough to be heard when going down the road but can be felt on the gas pedal at any speed or RPM, and it's obvious that the vibration hasn't changed in character. The car's performance isn't effected, but it doesn't make a guy feel real easy. This has been a stumper for everyone who's heard it. Any ideas?

Thanks much.

JS
Old 07-21-2004 | 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We don't have a timing belt...it's a chain. It should never need to be replaced and would only need adjustment if it's rattling.
Old 07-21-2004 | 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no timing belt on the car, just a chain, and its good fo rthe life of the car, dont need adjustment
Old 07-21-2004 | 09:34 PM
Who

Does the vibration only happen when idling? If it does then maybe your rpms are dropping to low and you may need to clean the throttle body. Did you change your plugs at the recently...if not, you could be experiencing random miss fires cause you're due for a plug change at 120K miles. Condsidering you said it comes in waves, it could also just be that your AC compressor is turning on and off. If your belt tensioning pulley bearing is bad, this would amplify the vibration when the compressor comes on. You probably didn't feel it in the winter cause then you're not using the AC then. Just a bunch of guesses but it should help eliminate probable causes.