4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange noise in my 5 sp

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 09:15 PM

Hi guys

I have a 96 5 speed GXE with no mods (well, only a FSTB). I took my car to a body shop to get the front and rear bumpers painted. The weird thing is that when I picked my car up there is this weird noise when I put 1st and drive the car. This noise is like OOOMMMHHHHPPPPP and is VERY loud in the mornings (it feels like the windows are shaking), after driving a while it becomes less loud. I think the noise comes from the rear right of the car, and also in the mornings there is noise when I turn right (not left, but that is just at the very beggining of my driving). Some things that I think are worth noting are:
-when I back up there is absolutely no noise

-It only happens when the car is stalled and I put 1st. There is no noise when I shift to another gear, and there is no noise regardless of the road conditions.

-I don't think there is any problem with the clutch or transmission because there is noise if my car is rolling down in neutral on a hill (downhill.

Does anyone know whats going on?? I am taking my car to a nissan mechanic this weekend, since I took my car to a regular mechanic and he was clueless. The owner of the body shop doesn't know either what happened (bastard).

Thanks a lot
Old 04-03-2001, 09:29 AM

Dragging hand brake

Originally posted by bolido2000
Hi guys

I have a 96 5 speed GXE with no mods (well, only a FSTB). I took my car to a body shop to get the front and rear bumpers painted. The weird thing is that when I picked my car up there is this weird noise when I put 1st and drive the car. This noise is like OOOMMMHHHHPPPPP and is VERY loud in the mornings (it feels like the windows are shaking), after driving a while it becomes less loud. I think the noise comes from the rear right of the car, and also in the mornings there is noise when I turn right (not left, but that is just at the very beggining of my driving). Some things that I think are worth noting are:
-when I back up there is absolutely no noise

-It only happens when the car is stalled and I put 1st. There is no noise when I shift to another gear, and there is no noise regardless of the road conditions.

-I don't think there is any problem with the clutch or transmission because there is noise if my car is rolling down in neutral on a hill (downhill.

Does anyone know whats going on?? I am taking my car to a nissan mechanic this weekend, since I took my car to a regular mechanic and he was clueless. The owner of the body shop doesn't know either what happened (bastard).

Thanks a lot
Your unwanted sound could be caused by a dragging brake. Please have your rear brake calipers checked. In particular, have the hand brake apparatus carefully checked. You fully released the hand brake but the cable or caliper may have released only partially and this could cause the moaning you describe.

I think it is just coincidence that this problem appeared after retrieving the car from the body shop. They didn't cause it.
Old 04-03-2001, 11:36 PM

Re: Dragging hand brake

Thanks for your answer. However, if the problem is a dragging brake wouldn't there be noise when I back up as well?
Also, I think I read somewhere in the forums that if there is a dragging brake the calipers would get hot, but I check today and is not the case. Have you ever come across with something like this before? Thanks again.

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Your unwanted sound could be caused by a dragging brake. Please have your rear brake calipers checked. In particular, have the hand brake apparatus carefully checked. You fully released the hand brake but the cable or caliper may have released only partially and this could cause the moaning you describe.

I think it is just coincidence that this problem appeared after retrieving the car from the body shop. They didn't cause it.