4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Those with Summit Racing RPM switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Those with Summit Racing RPM switch

I just bought this switch, I decided to switch out my harlan switch for my MEVI. I tried hooking it up today and somehow the wiring is incorrect. What I would like to know is what wires you used for each connection.
I followed the instructions on wiring.
red wire = power
black wire = ground
white wire = tachometer/rpm level
yellow wire = vacuum solenoid
grey wire = nothing

When I connect the yellow wire to the solenoid the switch won't open.
If I connect the grey wire to it, it won't close. Am I doing something wrong?
I have the RPM level set at 3200 on the switch. I believe that is what the summit switch is supposed to be set at to activate at 5200 for the maxima. If I'm incorrect please let me know. Any help in this aspect would be great.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:44 PM

i'm having the same problem...I'd be very interested on what is going on
Old 07-24-2004, 08:19 PM

anyone else?
Old 07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
SLOW

The way you describe the wiring of the rpm switch is correct. I suspect you are not hooked to the correct wire for the RPM signal, or that your solenoid wiring is messed up.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:47 PM
SLOW

Have you tested other RPM settings for the RPM switch? Try setting the RPM switch to its lowest setting and rev thru the RPM range, and then set it to its highest possible setting and rev thru the RPM range, and a few other settings in between and rev. Report those findings.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:57 PM

just curious what solenoid you are using. i have no problems with mine.i have the ac delco solenoid

Originally Posted by hacim105
I just bought this switch, I decided to switch out my harlan switch for my MEVI. I tried hooking it up today and somehow the wiring is incorrect. What I would like to know is what wires you used for each connection.
I followed the instructions on wiring.
red wire = power
black wire = ground
white wire = tachometer/rpm level
yellow wire = vacuum solenoid
grey wire = nothing

When I connect the yellow wire to the solenoid the switch won't open.
If I connect the grey wire to it, it won't close. Am I doing something wrong?
I have the RPM level set at 3200 on the switch. I believe that is what the summit switch is supposed to be set at to activate at 5200 for the maxima. If I'm incorrect please let me know. Any help in this aspect would be great.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:43 PM

I'm having the same problem and the problem seems to be that when the yellow wire(summit) touches the wire from the solenoid, the green led stays on (whether i'm reving or just at idle). When i disconnect the wires, it goes off.

By the way, this is the kind of solenoid i have:

Terry excuse me for using your pic.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:01 PM

i would try and replacing the solenoid you have and go with the ac delco one. it worked the very first time i hooked it up

QUOTE=takentomax]I'm having the same problem and the problem seems to be that when the yellow wire(summit) touches the wire from the solenoid, the green led stays on (whether i'm reving or just at idle). When i disconnect the wires, it goes off.

By the way, this is the kind of solenoid i have:

Terry excuse me for using your pic.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by chuckie311
just curious what solenoid you are using. i have no problems with mine.i have the ac delco solenoid
I have the solenoid from a nissan pulsar. I'll try what Nealoc did and set the RPM's to different settings. I believe for the RPM's I am wired in to coil pack 5 or the harness that connects to spark plug 5 (or whatever it's called).
I believe my solenoid is ok, It worked for my harlan switch. I just wasn't sure if my harlan switch was always working. And I know that others had said that their harlan wasn't working most of the time so I figured I'd switch to the summit since it works more often. So I'll see what I find. Thanks for your help. Maybe I might end up getting an AC delco solenoid. Where did you buy yours from?
Old 07-25-2004, 04:59 PM

i dont think the summit works off the coil pack. i took my dash apart and connect it the white wire with green strip for the rpm signal.. i wouldnt tap in to the ecu to much trouble i think.only takes 2 mins to gt the dash apart.try that and see it it works better for you

I have the solenoid from a nissan pulsar. I'll try what Nealoc did and set the RPM's to different settings. I believe for the RPM's I am wired in to coil pack 5 or the harness that connects to spark plug 5 (or whatever it's called).
I believe my solenoid is ok, It worked for my harlan switch. I just wasn't sure if my harlan switch was always working. And I know that others had said that their harlan wasn't working most of the time so I figured I'd switch to the summit since it works more often. So I'll see what I find. Thanks for your help. Maybe I might end up getting an AC delco solenoid. Where did you buy yours from?
Old 07-26-2004, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by chuckie311
i dont think the summit works off the coil pack. i took my dash apart and connect it the white wire with green strip for the rpm signal.. i wouldnt tap in to the ecu to much trouble i think.only takes 2 mins to gt the dash apart.try that and see it it works better for you

I will try this then. I tried Nealoc's idea of revving at different rpm settings but still got nothing. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help. One more thing, is the white wire with a green stripe really easy to find?
Old 07-26-2004, 06:13 PM

fromt he dash yes very easy. i went to the ecu first and it wa a pain in the ***. pulled the dash apart and found it with no problem

I will try this then. I tried Nealoc's idea of revving at different rpm settings but still got nothing. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help. One more thing, is the white wire with a green stripe really easy to find?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

the summit switch will not work off of the coil. It has to be a tach signal from the ECU