4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Going to do springs/struts/shocks - what else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 03:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Going to do springs/struts/shocks - what else?

I just about have the wife convinced to let me put shocks/struts/springs on my '95 SE, and I would like your informed opinions on what else I should do at that time. The car has 122k on it.

For example, the bushings are probably in need. Which ones should I go for?
Strut boots?
What else should I be looking for on this car?

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:03 AM
THT
Throbbing member

New strut boots, definitely. My car's only got 69K on it and the rears were shredded. If you drop 2" or more, be sure to get a camber kit.

~THT
Old 07-25-2004, 08:43 AM

http://www.kcmaximas.org/tech/suspension/index.html

theres a list of almost all suspension components
Old 07-25-2004, 09:01 AM

the link above me has EVERYTHING listed as far as suspension parts...

but i HIGHLY reccomend the following:

1) new dust boots (kyb- have shorter bump stops than OEM for better suspension travel)

2) new strut bearings-Nissan (x2)

3) new strut mounts in front-Nissan (x2)
i just replaced mine with 130k on them and they were totally worn down to the metal causing nasty creeking and clunking sounds over bumps.

4) Spring isolators(front and rear)-Nissan or you can wrap them yourself, but i would just get Nissans for the best fit. There are 2 per spring, one on the upper coil and one on the lower coils of all four springs.

5) Brake Hose clips (x2) usually these are rusted to all hell. These are very inexpensive and i think are worth replacing while your in there.

6) Upper Spring seat-Nissan
this supports the load of the spring and pretty much the car over bumps and what not. I did mine even though the rubber looked ok. But when i pressed on mine and the new ones the old ones were way softer, where as the new ones were very firm.

7) Spacers -Nissan
these eliminate metal to metal contact between the mounts and the body of the car. Definitly get all four of these.

Ant