4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Are you interested in an Intake Manifold?
Yes, count me in!
88.14%
No
11.86%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

VQ30DE Intake Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by zack342
maybe we should call them. i am anxious to hear what the plan is. ssr manifold and unichip here i come. why is it suddely so good to be a 99 max lol

Dont hold your breath...

-eric
Old 08-04-2004, 02:57 AM

<crosses fingures> i'm out of breath
Old 08-04-2004, 06:14 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Take the bulb out or put a switch on the CEL wire from the ECU so you can turn it off.
LOL. The point isn't the light being on all the time...obviously I could fix that, the point is having a CEL that actually tells me when something is wrong. Idiot light or not, I want to keep it operational.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

endus what is the deal with the unichip? is this an option for me as a 99
Old 08-04-2004, 10:26 AM

I just called SSR and spoke with someone. they said they will be doing a 4th gen maxima intake manifold in about a month but right now they are going to be doing 5th and 6th gen first. they also need someone who is willing to let them use their car for fabrication and development. is there anyone in southern california who would be willing to help the cause?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by endus
The bottom line is that if they built a variable length manifold that required the raised rev limiter, they are competing with two other options. If they created a manifold that did not reqire a raised rev limiter, they have no competition at all and are opening up an avenue for performance to a whole group of people who ahve had no option at all up until this point. They would also be providing an option to those who don't want to do the MEVI for other reasons. Look at it this way: the 2k+ and MEVI intakes provide somewhat similar gains...2k will probably give a little bit more once Krismax get's his car completely tuned, but how much more are you going to gain from redesigning the variable length manifold? Why reinvent the wheel when there is a whole other segment of the market that has nothing?
I see what you are saying now. I really would'nt consider them reinventing the wheel but packaging it. The MEVI is unattractive to me because you have to piece the install kit together (I'm lazy). The DE-K manifold is unattractive because it's for someone with time, a garage, and some mechanical savy, not to mention a place to get the spare parts. So I think if they did a variable intake package and make it nice and neat it'll sell like hotcakes at the right price. The ability to continue to make power to red line every shift would still be a plus for those without a rev limiter. What is a 2K1 Max's redline? I don't think it's 7200. The MEVI makes it almost necessary to raise the revs by robbing low end performance.

Now for a discussion on physics. How is a non-variable intake going to make $400-$500 worth of gains? Is honing an alternative to a variable intake? Will it show any respectable gains for the trouble? I thought this was reserved for the FI market that wanted to get the last little bit of HP out their cars. From what I've read on here about the USIM it's not too shabby. It just runs out of breath. Are there any other engines with the same issue? What did they do? I'm not asking these question knowing the answers I actually want to know.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:12 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

endus what is the deal with the unichip? is this an option for me as a 99
As far as I know, yes.
So as not to ***** up this thread, see this...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&page=1&pp=30

and this

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....21#post3124821
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM

I just called SSR and spoke with someone. they said they will be doing a 4th gen maxima intake manifold in about a month but right now they are going to be doing 5th and 6th gen first. they also need someone who is willing to let them use their car for fabrication and development. is there anyone in southern california who would be willing to help the cause?
I have a spare upper and lower intake manifold, I don't know if that will work or not but if it does I would be willing to lend it to them.

-Chris
Old 08-04-2004, 11:27 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
I see what you are saying now. I really would'nt consider them reinventing the wheel but packaging it. The MEVI is unattractive to me because you have to piece the install kit together (I'm lazy). The DE-K manifold is unattractive because it's for someone with time, a garage, and some mechanical savy, not to mention a place to get the spare parts. So I think if they did a variable intake package and make it nice and neat it'll sell like hotcakes at the right price. The ability to continue to make power to red line every shift would still be a plus for those without a rev limiter. What is a 2K1 Max's redline? I don't think it's 7200. The MEVI makes it almost necessary to raise the revs by robbing low end performance.
Ahh, I understand what YOU were saying now...communication!

I never really thought of the piecing together of the MEVI as an obstacle (not THAT much else to order) but I can see how some people would want an all inclusive package. The idea of not having to assemble the butterflys yourself seems attractive though...I know I'm wimpy and it's really not that hard....but the idea of either accidentally dropping a screw or having one work loose...it sounds like something that would happen to me.

As far as the honing, everything I know has been posted or linked to in this thread by the magnanimous Dave B, so look back a page or two and you'll find it. It sounds like it makes relatively modest gains for the cost. Might not be worth it for some people, but it sounds more suited to my situation than the MEVI. I'm not trying to eek out every tenth on the strip, just trying to add some power for the sake of a project and for the sake of my own driving enjoyment. I also don't want to lose low end in order to gain up high. I'm looking for more power on two lanes...speed on the highway just gets me more tickets and I have yet to make it to the strip.

The other thing is that who knows whether SSR will be able to improve on the stock manifold after honing. Maybe there is more power to be made there without the variable length...? I guess we won't know until it comes out.

All I know is this: if they make a non variable maifold that equals or surpasses the hones intake numbers, I am definitely in for the manifold and a UNICHIP. If they make a variable manifold, I might be in depending on what the kit is like. It would be nice to save the cost of having to ahve UNICHIP do the rev limiter on my car as well.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:33 AM

Why would need or want the Unchip with a non-variable intake. Would'nt GReddy e-manage or an S-AFC suffice.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:19 PM

count me in
Old 08-04-2004, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by SupermaxGxe
I have a spare upper and lower intake manifold, I don't know if that will work or not but if it does I would be willing to lend it to them.

-Chris

i am guessing they would need a car because they would need to check for fitment against the hood and maybe dynoing for results and what not. if anyone is interested, they should give them a call
Old 08-05-2004, 07:20 AM

They've been asking for a donor car for the turbo kit they've been proposing for months now. Apparently it's too costly for them to spend $4-5k on a 4th gen to use for their turbo and manifold projects, which I find hard to believe. It's not like the car they bought will have no resale value.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by bruteMax
They've been asking for a donor car for the turbo kit they've been proposing for months now. Apparently it's too costly for them to spend $4-5k on a 4th gen to use for their turbo and manifold projects, which I find hard to believe. It's not like the car they bought will have no resale value.
Someone told me they want to charge like 4000-5000 for the person who is donating the car. So it is pretty much like a one off kit price. They should surely get a better discount than that.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 AM

what I don't get is that SSR says their kit will be top-quality in comparison to existing kits, but I don't see how much better than the PFI kit a turbo setup can be. But yeah they want a car to work on for up to 8 weeks, and then the donor gets to buy the kit at a "discount". sheeesh, what's this fantasy kit going to cost, $10k?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 AM
I am Roid Rage

Please leave all the turbo kit crap out of this thread. That issue has been beat to death.

I'd like SSR to build me an intake manifold.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i would like them to build me one too !
Old 08-05-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
i would like them to build me one too !
i called then and i would let them use my car for development of the inatek manifold but.... i live in Massachusetts. why don't one of the southern cali guys give them a call and see what they say. we can talk about this for weeks but nothing is going to happen unless they have a car to work on
Old 08-05-2004, 11:42 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by chuckie311
to bad you arent in southern calif i will donate my maxima for the project if you were.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
Well whaddya know, we are in southern california

Mmmm...Was this all talk?
Old 08-05-2004, 11:59 AM

well i left ssr a message to use my old intake manifolf since i install the mevi and havent heard back from them. also told them i would come up on the weekends also is need be but no answer yet on that either
Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 PM

well if they are in southern calif i would take my car to them and let they do what they need to get this project going then.. SSR just let me know where you are at in Southern Calif and ill stop by
Old 08-05-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by chuckie311
well if they are in southern calif i would take my car to them and let they do what they need to get this project going then.. SSR just let me know where you are at in Southern Calif and ill stop by
Let me be the first to thank you for your efforts. It might be wishful thinking to hope that this will open some magical flood gate of after market support if this is successful, but I'm hoping anyway.

Oh yeah, thanks.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:11 PM

anytime the is something new and i can help otut for the cars im right there. i hope SSR and get me the address so i can get over there and get going i would love to see if its ayn better than the mevi i have on for the low and mid range power. so as soon as things get started ill post a reply and keep everyone up to date..: if someone has there number post it on here and i will call them..
would be ideal for them to work with me since i had both the us and mevi manifold they can work off of..

Let me be the first to thank you for your efforts. It might be wishful thinking to hope that this will open some magical flood gate of after market support if this is successful, but I'm hoping anyway.

Oh yeah, thanks.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:23 PM

This is from their web site http://www.ssr-engineering.com/ :
E-Mail us directly:
Sales@SSR-Engineering.com

Or contact us by phone:
(505)250-7615
Old 08-05-2004, 02:25 PM

This is from their web site http://www.ssr-engineering.com/ :
E-Mail us directly:
Sales@SSR-Engineering.com

Or contact us by phone:
(505)250-7615
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. We are not looking for car right now, and the intake manifolds will be priced a bit differently, we will be interested in development in around or less then a month, so we can get some of these other projects out of the shop. Custom sheet metal/ Aluminum intake manifolds will cost around $1000, however later on down the road, if we see gains and interest from the first one we will mass produce it, lowering the cost substantially.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. We are not looking for car right now, and the intake manifolds will be priced a bit differently, we will be interested in development in around or less then a month, so we can get some of these other projects out of the shop. Custom sheet metal/ Aluminum intake manifolds will cost around $1000, however later on down the road, if we see gains and interest from the first one we will mass produce it, lowering the cost substantially.
wow $1000? If we see gains? Not to be an a$$ but asking someone to pay a grand just to see if it would shown any significant gains is kinda asking a lot. Plus what if it does shown gains, would the donor car get a partial refund? I mean, the donor car isn't gonna get any profit from your mass production if this works out, thats a big risk for someone to take.

Sounds to me, SSR isnt even sure if their own design is gonna give better gains than other manifolds and also not wanting to fork out the money for the prototype, why should us consumers have to (personally I dont have that much cofidence in them if they make it sound like eveythings up in the air). That price is almost double of what my MEVI costed! I just don't see how a college student or younger guys like myself can afford a grand on a prototype that may or maynot work, but if you're rich and have money to throw around then be my guest.

Just my .02 cent
Old 08-05-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
wow $1000? If we see gains? Not to be an a$$ but asking someone to pay a grand just to see if it would shown any significant gains is kinda asking a lot. Plus what if it does shown gains, would the donor car get a partial refund? I mean, the donor car isn't gonna get any profit from your mass production if this works out, thats a big risk for someone to take.

Sounds to me, SSR isnt even sure if their own design is gonna give better gains than other manifolds and also not wanting to fork out the money for the prototype, why should us consumers have to(personally I dont have that much cofidence in them if they make it sound like eveythings up in the air). That price is almost double of what my MEVI costed! I just don't see how acollege student or younger guys like myself can afford a grand on a prototype that may or maynot work, but if you're rich and have money to throw around then be my guest.

Just my .02 cent
Yes, I'm glad you ask that, we actually do give a manufacturer rebate, it will cost them in the end less then what someone would pay if we actually mass produce it. Improving on a factory intake manifold is pretty easy, there are several different approaches you can take to increase power and performance from an intake manifold. First off you start with testing, and flow benching, dynoing etc. When you flow bench it will show you the distribution to each cylinder and if the air flow is adaquate between cylinders. Like in the new 350z its easy to find that the front 2 cylinders aren't getting as much air as the rear 4. Basically what I'm saying, is that it's pretty easy to see gains from an intake manifold, and it's a rare upgrade since it is so expensive. Most shops would charge anywhere from $1-$2,000 because of the extensive labor, and testing that is involved.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:01 PM

Thats bs sorry to say it. You came out and said $600 dollars for the 350z when you made the prototype. That is because they have so much compatition for intake manifolds.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Thats bs sorry to say it. You came out and said $600 dollars for the 350z when you made the prototype. That is because they have so much compatition for intake manifolds.
No actually our 350z intake manifold is 1100 retail. We have plans of later on down the road making it casted, or mass produced, which will lower the costs substantially, the $600 is an estimate.

Also, we are too my knowledge the only ones to make an actual intake manifold for the 350z, the "competition" provides a cheap substitute or modified plenum, which has no comparison to the level of work that goes into our piece.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Instead of casting a whole new manifold. How about buying one of the MEVIs and use that as a mold? No donor car needed as we know it fits. No extra engineering needed unless you want to.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Instead of casting a whole new manifold. How about buying one of the MEVIs and use that as a mold? No donor car needed as we know it fits. No extra engineering needed unless you want to.
Well because it is not our design, the MEVI has been proven to make top end gains, and won't work on 99s. We would rather make our own design to fit our desires, and increasing performance for both n/a and f/i vehicles throughout and entire RPM range, sacrificing as little as possible.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 PM

I'd be really surprised if they could hit the $600 price point. For $600 all I see is that ugly modified stock plenum where they weld on the larger chamber for the front bank.

Even Hondas used to have to pay near $1K for custom sheet metal manifolds. I've seen my friend make sheet metal manifolds for Supras, it's a lot of work. He charges $1500 or so... A cast manifold for $5-600 is reasonable. Not for a sheetmetal one.

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Old 08-05-2004, 03:45 PM

this is not ture the mevi works on 99 and jim wolf claims the a 96 ecu will work for the 99s for the upgrade for it

Well because it is not our design, the MEVI has been proven to make top end gains, and won't work on 99s. We would rather make our own design to fit our desires, and increasing performance for both n/a and f/i vehicles throughout and entire RPM range, sacrificing as little as possible.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:25 PM

well you gotta pay to play... guys are willing to spend close to $750 for headers that give a little more power to the power band but aren't willing to spend the money on a qaulity piece that should give substantial gains where it is needed the most? inorder to get the gains SSR is talking about which is power everywhere in the RPM band , which is unlike the MEVI which takes away some of the low end torque. the reason people get the ECU in the first place is to raise the rev limit and restore some of the low end torque.

MEVI about $600 with all needed parts
JWT ECU $595 + a month without your car
not to mention headaches of making mevi work i.e rpm switch and wiring or worrying about a screw getting ingested by your engine.

if for a $1000 SSR can do a manifold that gives more power everywhere what is the need for the JWT ECU NISSAN installs a REV LIMIT for a REASON. sure the engine can take it but why do something that is not recommended if you don't have to?.
Personally if SSR builds a manifold i will buy one, and if i lived in california i would let them use my car but that's just me and i don't live in CA so i can't do it. Just my 2cents so only reply to this thread if your interested, if you wanna get MEVI get MEVI but i like to have options and being as i OWN a 99 this is my only option so please give them a break so they can give this a shot because i am sure i am not the only one who is willing to pay
Old 08-05-2004, 09:07 PM

i am not the only one who is willing to pay
No your not, if they make it I will buy! I have been waiting for somehting like this to come up, I have been holding back on the MEVI because there are too many mixed responses and just too much work(finding install parts/ecu). I cant wait for this to happen and am willing to drive over there and let them test it on my car, since I am in San Diego myself .

-Chris
Old 08-05-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SupermaxGxe
No your not, if they make it I will buy! I have been waiting for somehting like this to come up, I have been holding back on the MEVI because there are too many mixed responses and just too much work(finding install parts/ecu). I cant wait for this to happen and am willing to drive over there and let them test it on my car, since I am in San Diego myself .

-Chris

Good to see that there is someone else in here who isn't "cheap" . mean for the most part parts for our cars are realitively cheap. if you want something and you think its worth it you will pay for it. and since this manifold is supposed to retain low end which i have come to love and give some more top end. i see no problem in spending a $1000.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:54 PM

That's fine.. but the donor car should get his **** put on atleast dicounted or free. That's bull****, if you guys are all up and arms about making it why dont u fork out and buy a "test car maxima" instead of making someone waste there gas and money. BS. Sorry but that is just the way i feel. I'll be more than happy to pay for a reasonably priced intake manifold, with good gains.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by image
That's fine.. but the donor car should get his **** put on atleast dicounted or free. That's bull****, if you guys are all up and arms about making it why dont u fork out and buy a "test car maxima" instead of making someone waste there gas and money. BS. Sorry but that is just the way i feel. I'll be more than happy to pay for a reasonably priced intake manifold, with good gains.
Needless to say, WE DON'T DRIVE CIVICS. This is not an often modified car, sure there are lots of us here on the org but we don't compare to even 1/5 of the hondas driving around. So because of this it makes it a little more risky to make such an expensive part for a car that is looked at as a grocery getter. You have to understand where they are coming from and I thank them for even attempting this for our cars. There are too many companies out there flaking on Maximas in terms of aftermarket ex. Projectors, Cams, Headers, ect... Sure there are companies that make these things for our cars but think about it, How many places make cams, 2, how many companies make projectors, 1, and headers, 1(only Cattman for 4th gen). So when there is a company willing to make something for this car that has such a small aftermarket why are you *****ing about them, let them make it and thank them, if this part is not for you THEN DON'T BUY IT simple as that.

-Chris
Old 08-06-2004, 01:13 AM

actually OBX makes headers fro 4th gens (even though they're POS and its completely irrelevant to this thread)

it would be interesting what kinds of gains SSR could pull from making a non-VI manifold for us 4th gens. i was just looking at mine last week while it was off the car and thinking about how restrictive the runners were

i was also interested about the possibility of running a MEVI through the extrude honing process. it has been mentioned that this would be possible but how would you avoid dammage to all the moving components (or more specifically the brackets and stuff that the butterfly valves connect to). has anyone extrode-honed a VI simmilar to the MEVI before to show that its possible?

lots of good info in this thread people lets keep it going
Old 08-06-2004, 06:18 AM

Read again

"Yes, I'm glad you ask that, we actually do give a manufacturer rebate, it will cost them in the end less then what someone would pay if we actually mass produce it. "

Originally Posted by image

Quick Reply: VQ30DE Intake Manifold?