4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ypipe, Cat, Bpipe Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 05:01 PM

Ypipe, Cat, Bpipe Q's

Hey, I just got a WS Y-pipe a few weeks ago and now that I've gotten under the car I see the cat and B-pipe don't look too great after 6 MA winters. I was wondering what kind of hp gain I will get with WS Ypipe, Bpipe and cat with stock muffler? Also, how will the sound be? I'm not looking to go too loud but I wouldn't mind a little bit louder than stock. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:57 PM

I just put on a WS Y-pipe, B-pipe, and their "quiet" muffler last week. I used my stock cat because its got a 2.5" inlet and outlet(fitting perfect along with my new 2.5" WS setup) and my cat wasn't hard to get off. I also have a Stillen pop charger and the sound was beautiful. Not that much louder than stock but very deep. No raspy revving or anything. I would definately change your stock muffler. It's only got a 2.25" inlet and you'll have fittment problems fitting all the WS pipes into it. Plus a new muffler looks way nicer, usually lighter, and sounds deeper. I love my setup and like you, I didn't want to go too much louder than stock, just deeper. Keep Maximas classy, not ricey ya know? Let me know what you decide or if you have questions on install. One,
Gramdacious
Old 08-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah..I have the mandrel bent aluminized y pipe, carsound cat, and resonated aluminized mandrel bent b pipe...and it sounded like absolute crap with my stock muffler...but every other aftermarket muffler I heard on a maxima sounded like absolute crap!!!! and was way to loud and droned like a ricer...the apexi WS was my only serious consideration (as that one is not that loud and is quiet, but it's expensive!)...until I called Dallas at warpspeed and he let me hear a new prototype custom muffler that they made over the phone....I fell in love with it....he also was nice enough to give me decibel readings in real time over the phone...which was cool....cause I told him my biggest concern was too much sound and the quality of sound....Dallas completely understood and assured me I would be happy...and I also got to pick from six different tips....even better!!! anyway...it was half the price of a apexi ws!!! and sound way better....plus is a straight through design so it flows very well..noticeably quicker revving!!...very quiet with no droning and no raspiness!!! just make sure you get a resonated b pipe or you will have raspiness....dallas told me the goal was to make the muffler the quiestest possible while still flowing extremely well and sounding as close to a Z with aftermarket exhaust as possible...

you know what I said to Dallas about that?

mission accomplished!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 03:13 AM

Hey Gramdacious and michaelnyden, can you guys let us know exactly what mufflers you have?

WS "quiet" muffler - Does that mean the dynomax clone?

prototype custom muffler(straight through)?
Old 08-01-2004, 03:29 AM

it's a muffler that WS made from scratch....out of their research and design....i compared the design to dynomax and all the other mufflers out there and is fer sher no the same....

it was a muffler they just designed as a prototype initially, they just wanted to see if anyone would be interested in such a quiet muffler...now it's something they sell as just their own brand muffler...but you still have to call and ask for it...it's not on their website yet
Old 08-18-2004, 07:56 PM

Hey guys, thanks for responding. Sorry I was slow in my reply, I was away and then with the org down and all...

I'm liking what I hear about this "quiet" muffler. I'm going to call in and check on that. It sounds just like what I am looking for. I was checking their site out and am looking at this setup with my Aluminized steel Y pipe :
- 2-1/2" Bpipe - Aluminized steel (GEN 4 VG) with resonator for $170 ($25 off with Ypipe purchase, hopefully they'll give that to me).
- HI-Flow 2-1/2" CarSound Catalytic Converter for $100 (was $75 in GD, hope to get that too)
-"Quiet Muffler" (What do they call it? Just the new Muffler setup they make?) How much is this running for?

Also, what kind of gains did you guys see with all this?

Thanks for the help/advice.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:12 PM

Anyone have a soundclip of the new WSP muffler? If it sounds remotely close to the 350Z's exhaust note then I will order one. Gonna have to hear it first... it seems everyone claims their car sounds like a Z on this board.

I also have WSP y-pipe, 2K muffler, and am about to have a WSP b-pipe.

*every* video or soundclip I have heard so far of any maxima exhaust sounds like a diesel truck.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:47 PM

when I was ordering my muffler from WS, I called up dallas over the phone and he told me real time decibel's from different locations, while another employee of his revved the car, awesome customer service if you ask me!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 08:41 AM

I'm gonna go with the Apexi WS Catback System and a Cattman Y-pipe. What does everyone think about this setup?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:48 AM
THT
Throbbing member

Sound clips I've heard of that setup are sweet. I wanted the WS but no one had it in stock so I went with the GReddy SP2.

~THT
Old 08-19-2004, 02:07 PM

that setup sounds good!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:36 PM

So whatd you guys see for gains with the WS setups? (Ypipe, bpipe and quiet muffler) What was the cost for the quiet muffler?
Old 08-22-2004, 10:49 PM

well I never dynoed b4 and after so I don't know what the gain is...the quiet muffler was something like 120 or 125 shipped with a choice of six different tips...
Old 08-22-2004, 10:51 PM

i gonna re-dyno soon though...so we'll see what i'm putting down...
Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by R5a7B
So whatd you guys see for gains with the WS setups? (Ypipe, bpipe and quiet muffler) What was the cost for the quiet muffler?
I don't exactly know the nubers on th egains but they are significant. The ypipe is by far the most noticeable. Once you remove the stock hunk of crap you'll see it's 20 pounds lighter and the air flow is much better. The muffler I got is a dynomax with a fat 4inch chrome tip. The dynomax is not a strait thru muffler, but is quieter(less ricey), and doesn't loose any gains of power so it works great for me. I want to be able resell my car if absolutely needed and I want a professional setup. Definatley keep the stock cat on. My whole setup was $410. Well worth it. Now I need drilled rotors and upgraded pads.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:45 AM

this ws "quiet" muffler... could i call and order one today?
Old 08-23-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jdm71488
this ws "quiet" muffler... could i call and order one today?
If you got the dough then I don't see why not. Just go to the Warpspeedperformance.com site and pick which tip you want. Then call Dallas and "negotiate" a price. I love mine. Sounds deep yet mellow.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:08 PM

Hey guys, thanks for responding. Sorry I was slow in my reply, I was away and then with the org down and all...

I'm liking what I hear about this "quiet" muffler. I'm going to call in and check on that. It sounds just like what I am looking for. I was checking their site out and am looking at this setup with my Aluminized steel Y pipe :
- 2-1/2" Bpipe - Aluminized steel (GEN 4 VG) with resonator for $170 ($25 off with Ypipe purchase, hopefully they'll give that to me).
- HI-Flow 2-1/2" CarSound Catalytic Converter for $100 (was $75 in GD, hope to get that too)
-"Quiet Muffler" (What do they call it? Just the new Muffler setup they make?) How much is this running for?

Also, what kind of gains did you guys see with all this?

Thanks for the help/advice.

Rather than paying $170 for a 2.5" b-pipe, why don't you just keep your stock resonator, and go to a local muffler shop and get them to custom bend you some aluminized steel piping @ 2.5" for like $50. That is what I did, along with a 5th gen muffler. Sounds great.

**Unless your cat is really rusted, I would not get a new one. From the sound of it though, it is. $75 in the gd is pretty good.

** You will probably gain like 15hp from the y-pipe, and about 5hp from the 2.5" system. The cat and muffler have very very very little to do with that gain....it is mostly in the b-pipe.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:42 PM

R5a7B--
Haha,I live in MA.And let me tell ya,if youre planning on putting the Y on yourself,be prepared for some serious RUST.It takes awhile to get off.If you don't wanna go with those exhaust ideas,I know a guy in Worcester that I got my exhaust done at that can do you up a 2.5" resonated cat back with any muffler for around $150-$200.I got mine there and it sounds good,but I dont like the Magnaflow muffler I have on it.But yeah,let me know if you wanna do that,or if you need any help installing the Y.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:26 PM

just call up WS and ask for Dallas...
Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 PM

Brudaddy - That's a good idea for the bpipe, could I get it bent with a resonator though? And yea, I think I need to replace the cat. Thanks.

Kta- Thanks for the info on your guy, but I think I could get one bent for me a bit closer. If not, I'll let you know. I'm leaning towards that WS quiet muffler and need to replace my cat too due to rust. By the way, I have already tried installing the Ypipe and ran into that rust problem. I got the bolts replaced on the cat, ypipe and bpipe sides. I plan on getting that in this week if I can, but I'd love some help if I can't do it this week.

Gramdacious - Why do you suggest I keep the stock cat on?

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:07 PM

yeah i can definitly give you a hand...i've done 4 already,so i know what im doin.just let me know.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 PM

Brudaddy - That's a good idea for the bpipe, could I get it bent with a resonator though? And yea, I think I need to replace the cat. Thanks.

Kta- Thanks for the info on your guy, but I think I could get one bent for me a bit closer. If not, I'll let you know. I'm leaning towards that WS quiet muffler and need to replace my cat too due to rust. By the way, I have already tried installing the Ypipe and ran into that rust problem. I got the bolts replaced on the cat, ypipe and bpipe sides. I plan on getting that in this week if I can, but I'd love some help if I can't do it this week.

Gramdacious - Why do you suggest I keep the stock cat on?

Thanks for the info.
Unless you are getting a new "high flow" cat. I tried a staight pipe and it was the worst experiment I've ever done on my car. It sounded like sh*t, smelled like sh*t, and did nothing for power gains. It's terrible for the enviroment, illegal, and besides, your stock cat has a 2.5" inlet and outlet and gets wider thru the body. It's about as "high flowing" as yoiu can get. trust me, you not gonna lose any power by using your stock cat.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Always sunny in philly

i've been interested in this setup, but w/a budget y instead. So if i kept everything stock and swapped it w/a budget y pipe and warpspeed's "quiet" catback, it should sound nice? i shot u a pm gram.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:17 AM

is aluminized steel ok? i want it to last awhile...
Old 08-26-2004, 09:53 AM

Just want to make sure

Ok guys sorry to be so retarted But I want to clarify something. The B-Pipe is directly behind the cat???? How far or what is still considered the B-pipe. So if i buy one what pipping am i getting.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 AM

well even the aluminized steel pipes have warranty's against rust-through....4 years from warpspeed I think
Old 08-26-2004, 10:50 AM

and yes, the b pipe is right behind the cat....it is the pipe that connects the cat to the muffler
Old 08-26-2004, 10:51 AM

just make sure you get a resonated b-pipe with their quiet muffler, as, the resonator will make it sound a little deeper, a lot more refined, and a lot quieter!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 AM

Does we have stock resonator

Someone mentioned a stock resonator, I would go look but my car is at home. So what if we have a custom B pipe made and use stock resonator, then put the WS quiet muffler on.

I have a budget Y pipe right now also.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:08 AM

R5a7B - thanks for posting this thread. After reading the positive responses from Gramdacious & michaelnyden I went ahead and ordered myself the WS cat-back with the Q' muffler. Thanks guys I can't wait to intall it this Saturday.

BTW - WS has updated their website with the new muffler info.

thnx
tony
Old 08-26-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jdm71488
is aluminized steel ok? i want it to last awhile...

This should be fine, esp. in Florida where you are.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by stang233
Someone mentioned a stock resonator, I would go look but my car is at home. So what if we have a custom B pipe made and use stock resonator, then put the WS quiet muffler on.

I have a budget Y pipe right now also.
I don't really know how your muffler sounds, because that has the most to do with that tone...but mine sounds great! It just sounds like stock, but a little louder. You cannot really tell at idle or just cruising, but when you get up to WOT, it growls a lot more.

**NOTE: I have the stock airbox for intake too.**
Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mel6822
R5a7B - thanks for posting this thread. After reading the positive responses from Gramdacious & michaelnyden I went ahead and ordered myself the WS cat-back with the Q' muffler. Thanks guys I can't wait to intall it this Saturday.

BTW - WS has updated their website with the new muffler info.

thnx
tony

Man, you just spend prolly $150+ too much.
The custom setup can be the same, and cost fractions.
Then, you can use your money on something else.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Man, you just spend prolly $150+ too much.
The custom setup can be the same, and cost fractions.
Then, you can use your money on something else.

I appreciate the concern. I paid $275 shipped however I don't think I can get a b-pipe and a good muffler up here in norcal for $125. The cost of labor alone was more than that.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:56 PM

Mel - glad the thread could help you out.

Could I get a resonator built in with the custom bent bpipe or would I have to use the stock one?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:07 PM

Can someone PLEASE post a sound clip, video, picture.... even an MSPaint drawing of the new WS muffler?

I'm waiting to hear it before I buy the cat-back.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:37 PM

mine should be shipped on tuesday! woohoo!!!

i emailed dallas and was told that the muffler will not be sold alone. i had to pay $275 for the catback... which is cool because no custom work will have to be done!
Old 08-26-2004, 04:40 PM

I tried calling Dallas but they are closed.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:00 PM

i will take some pics when i get mine, but that should be in like a week or so... i have yet to see pics other than the tips on their website...