4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clear Corners, Rewired sidemarkers and rewired Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 11:06 AM

Just thought I post a thankyou on the forum for all the great info. I won a bid on Ebay for "diamond cut" clear corners about a week ago. Got a pretty good deal too. They were auctioned by PROCARPARTS. PROCARPARTS sells the things for $79 plus shipping on their site but also auctions them. I got them for a total of $51 Anyway, they arrived yesterday. I've been waiting for them to arrive so I could rewire the fogs and also the sidemarker/blinkers at the same time. I used the instructions from the following sites:
http://www.geocities.com/amixam69/nissan/markerblink
and
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...r_corners.html

Great instructions! I'm just a DYI guy, nothing big and no particular experience with electrics etc. The instructions made it easy. Used wire taps for the first time....a breeze!!! The only problem I ran into was during the fog light rewire. I had spliced the new power line from the fuse box and wanted to check it out BEFORE I put the fuse box back together. I turned on the parking lights and touched the line to the battery and nothing Went over the instructions again and checked everything and tried again. NOTHING. I was getting worried. My wife always worries when I try to "fix" things. Man, I was hoping that she wasn't right. Thought about things for a minute or too and then realized that maybe I ought to put the fuses back in the fuse box and put the fuse box back together again. DUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH. Did that and everything worked.
I'm a VERRY HAPPY CAMPER! I can now run my fogs with parking lights only and on high beams too. (Yes, Daniel B., I know that if I'm running the highs I probably should run the fogs). My corners are clear and especially "diamond cut". Haven't seen the regular clears but these "diamonds" are REALLY clear and I got them for the price of the regulars. They look great! The rewired blinkers are a nice touch. When done: "alternating blinking with the lights are on....... markers blinking in synch when lights are off, and normal marker operation when not blinking".

My wife doesn't really understand why I think this is so coooool but at least she smiled and said "how nice". I know that you guys understand.

Ok, done with the easy stuff. Now have to turn my attention to clearing out my tails. BrianV here I come! Then there's a Weapon R to save for, new tires (Kumho 712s?), rims, H&Rs, Tokicos too.

NOTE: new additions to signature
Old 04-04-2001, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by zagato27
Just thought I post a thankyou on the forum for all the great info. I won a bid on Ebay for "diamond cut" clear corners about a week ago. Got a pretty good deal too.
Way to go! I have all these mods too (I will when the UPS guy can get my clears here)

I have one more that I think really is needed for the max:

http://csc.smsu.edu/~jack/max/blinkermod.html

Without it your front turn signals are dark with lights on. Seems dumb that they did that like that. What do ya think?

Jack
Old 04-04-2001, 11:25 AM

I want to make my tail lights red and clear too, but I'm afraid to damage anything. I just picked up the car last week too.
Old 04-04-2001, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My wife doesn't really understand why I think this is so coooool but at least she smiled and said "how nice". I know that you guys understand.
LOL! I showed my girlfriend my alternating blinkers and she asked me why I did it. I said, "Well, it looks cool." And she just shook her head and walked away.

Old 04-04-2001, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by JiggsHall
I want to make my tail lights red and clear too, but I'm afraid to damage anything. I just picked up the car last week too.
ditto. i don't have another car to drive to the dealership in case i screw up the lights enough that they can't be used, so i'm hesitant to try it...
Old 04-04-2001, 11:57 AM

I really wish there was a manufacturer for these. There's a guy on Cheston's www.maximadriver.com who fabricates these, but they're so popular with other vehicles I wonder why some of the larger manufacturers haven't started making them or Altezza style lights for Maximas.
Old 04-04-2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by JacksMax

Way to go! I have all these mods too (I will when the UPS guy can get my clears here)

I have one more that I think really is needed for the max:

http://csc.smsu.edu/~jack/max/blinkermod.html

Without it your front turn signals are dark with lights on. Seems dumb that they did that like that. What do ya think?

Jack
Jack,
Thanks. To all those wondering if they can/should do it....welll GO DO IT!!! It's easy with instructions like these.
As to the mod you linked to. Interesting. Wish I had known about it before I took all my stuff apart and then wired it and put it back together. Looks good. Don't know if the alternating blinking with the marker and the blinker would work. I'll have to think about this one. That and I'm resting. Thanks for the link. Lots of good "how to's". Tail lights may be next
Old 04-04-2001, 12:48 PM

<snip>
As to the mod you linked to. Interesting. Wish I had known about it before I took all my stuff apart and then wired it and put it back together. Looks good. Don't know if the alternating blinking with the marker and the blinker would work.
<snip>
Yup! got that mod too, and they work well together. All the sidemarker blink mod is swapping your ground on the side with the hot in front, thus making an 'intermittant ground' for it. (thus the blinking)

LMK if you need any help doing this.

Jack
Old 04-04-2001, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by clee130

LOL! I showed my girlfriend my alternating blinkers and she asked me why I did it. I said, "Well, it looks cool." And she just shook her head and walked away.

I got a question for ya, with the clear turn signals which do you think looks better the original bulb or an amber bulb? I need input
Old 04-04-2001, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well... it looks a little better with the original bulbs, but it's illegal... but I have them up there anyways... I just hope that the cops don't pull me over.

Originally posted by bdogg88
I got a question for ya, with the clear turn signals which do you think looks better the original bulb or an amber bulb? I need input
Old 04-04-2001, 01:04 PM

Well... it looks a little better with the original bulbs, but it's illegal... but I have them up there anyways... I just hope that the cops don't pull me over.

have you done that thing posted earlier in the forum about making the lights brighter.. or is the brightness fine as is?
I have the Xenon hyperwhite bulbs and clearance lights, and want it to look top of the line... what do you think does it look good still?
Old 04-04-2001, 01:18 PM

Fully 100% legal to run white in front here in MO:

http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes...99/3070095.htm

"Headlamps, when lighted, shall exhibit lights substantially white in color; auxiliary lamps, cowllamps and spotlamps, when lighted, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color."

As for "do I like it better white/yellow?" stand by, my clears should be here Fri.

Jack
Old 04-04-2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by JacksMax

Fully 100% legal to run white in front here in MO:

http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes...99/3070095.htm

"Headlamps, when lighted, shall exhibit lights substantially white in color; auxiliary lamps, cowllamps and spotlamps, when lighted, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color."

As for "do I like it better white/yellow?" stand by, my clears should be here Fri.

Jack
it's illegal in jersey!
Old 04-04-2001, 01:30 PM
tiedyemaxima

I had the clear bulbs in mine wheni got my clear corners put in. Then i hit a dog and broke my clear corners and busted the bulb and i still had the amber ones so i stuck themin... with a white car, like mine, i think the clear bulb looks better in the clear corners.

Old 04-04-2001, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by tiedyemaxima
I had the clear bulbs in mine wheni got my clear corners put in. Then i hit a dog and broke my clear corners and busted the bulb and i still had the amber ones so i stuck themin... with a white car, like mine, i think the clear bulb looks better in the clear corners.
I have the dark green color.. think clear bulb's will look best?