4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Courtesy Nissan STS Installed - A+

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Courtesy Nissan STS Installed - A+

Well the chariot is back in action and wow the courtesy nissan STS is great. I had gathered mixed reviews on the sts. So I didnt know what to expect. Before the install all i was concerned with was.

1. Will the shifter sit real high hitting the top part of the shifter boot ?
2. Will I have a hard time finding gears ?
3. Will it make it harder to race down a track ?

Well, I took off down the road today and the shifts sure are shorter ! It really gives you a real race feel and with the new clutch it feels great. Im not having any trouble AT ALL finding gears. It feels different from the old row boat oem shifter but its much better IMO.

The shifter sits great in the car. Im going to take some photos tommorrow and post them up. I dont have any problem with it riding high. It is closer up but it looks great to me. Nothing that you would say "Hey that isnt sitting right !"

Courtesy really has a great shifter in this STS. Again I love the feel and im glad things are starting to go my way.

If you are looking for an sts. This one is very cool !

You know it may take a hair more force to shift than a stock shifter but the way it feels is just right. It just feels good and I dont see how I could miss a gear with this one.

Courtesy STS: A+
Old 08-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds great cant wait to see some pics. i was thinking about getting the one from but never hear any reviews on it..
Old 08-19-2004, 11:04 PM

I'm all about my B&M / MOMO combo. I love it

Old 08-19-2004, 11:36 PM
VIP Maxima

nice ceasars (yes i did spell it correctly )

another mod for the charriot

always great mods and reviews by ceasars. time to take it down to track to see if u notice any improvements

Old 08-20-2004, 07:58 AM

What do you mean about it "sitting higher". Excuse my ignorance/lack of tech vocab in reguards to this area, but isn't the STS supposed to be shorter? Thinking about it a little more as I'm writing this, do you mean the "base" of the shifter would be sitting higher, and maybe would be visible. Hopefully with pics this will be easier to understand.
Also, how does this shifter compare (in length, feel, throw, etc.) to other brands of STS's? There's a couple to choose from: B&M, courtesy, custommaxima, etc. Do you mind telling how much it was?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:39 AM
^ Jeff™

I think 'sitting higher' means further forward. Which is true...it moves the top 3 gears (1, 3 & 5) forward toward the ashtray.

IMO, by moving the top 3 gears slightly forward you get better leverage for the 2-3 shift than ever before. 2nd gear sits straight up and down now.

Glad you like it Ceasar! Now get those pics up before you ship out!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
What do you mean about it "sitting higher". Excuse my ignorance/lack of tech vocab in reguards to this area, but isn't the STS supposed to be shorter? Thinking about it a little more as I'm writing this, do you mean the "base" of the shifter would be sitting higher, and maybe would be visible. Hopefully with pics this will be easier to understand.
Also, how does this shifter compare (in length, feel, throw, etc.) to other brands of STS's? There's a couple to choose from: B&M, courtesy, custommaxima, etc. Do you mind telling how much it was?
I use the B&M and I love it. If you cut down your factory shifter it would sit lower in the car but the actual throw distance of the lever doesnt change, even though the distance your hand travels would be shorter. The pivot point on the shift lever is moved in a STS so that the lever has to move less distance to change gears, the B&M is a 40% reduction in throw for example.

My shifter sits slightly farther forward in neutral, 2, 4, R; but it seems to sit in just about the same spot in the forward positioned gears (1, 3, 5). I'm guestimating that it's about 1" shorter in the car too, but if you want a really STS then get an aftermarket STS like the B&M or courtsey and then cut that down to be shorter.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the clarification...that helps a lot. When I do get a STS, I'm not going to need something really short, nor am I looking to get better acceleration (shorter shift times), all I'm going to want is a better feel, which is what ceaser got. Again, thanks for the explaination.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by MrEous
I think 'sitting higher' means further forward. Which is true...it moves the top 3 gears (1, 3 & 5) forward toward the ashtray.

IMO, by moving the top 3 gears slightly forward you get better leverage for the 2-3 shift than ever before. 2nd gear sits straight up and down now.

Glad you like it Ceasar! Now get those pics up before you ship out!!!
yeah, like he said ! today i had a better look at it and it is closer to the ash tray but the feel is great. and im very happy about how easy it is to find each gear, there is nothing to it. If I have noticed anything only coming out of 5th gear you I will give it a tug and feel i need to put more pressure on it. Other than that it takes no thought, its just completely natural. again i was wondering if i would be lost and have trouble finding gears. I test drove a wrx, and rx8 and this shifter is easier to find gear than either of them. With the cars i test drove i would have to learn the feel and how to find the gears but this is cake.

the chariot already looks completely different. the old race setup is gone, i put in the full interior and took out the racing seats. The carbon fiber hood is off, the tint is off and some decals gone.

IMO the car looks a billion times better without my old crummy cf hood. I may get another one, not sure. But I had to do all this to get the car to look close to stock so I can pass inspection entering NZ. Once i get there im going to tint it again and have my seats shipped over for race day !
Old 08-20-2004, 02:26 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Glad to hear the chariot is back up. No problem with the support rod? I am also glad you like the short shifter. Good luck in NZ. I know the slugs will miss you both.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:51 PM

Nice to hear that the chariot is up and working again. Have you had any problems with the STS yet?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:45 PM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the courtesy essentially the same as the B&M?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 AM
^ Jeff™

^^ Yep...almost exact carbon-copy of the B&M. About $10 cheaper than the B&M from what I've found online too.