4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cam position sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:45 AM

cam position sensor problem

Here is my problem. My 97 max sporatically doesn't start and just keeps cranking. I have taken it to several mechanics and they have told me to take it to the dealer. I was forced to take it there and they told me that the repair will cost $1000 which includes a cam position sensor a fuel system cleaning and a idle air adjustment. I am most worried about the cam position sensor and have found the part online for $45. I was wondering if anyone has changed this part and If it is a DIY job. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:14 AM

Wow, what a rip off, and those mechanic shops must not be that good if they cant do the work and refer you to a dealer (better they do that, than mess up your car).

$1000 is way over priced ( understatement ) fuel system cleaning can be done at any decent shop for about $60~$80, the idle air adjustment you can do yourself with a wrench, and with cleaning your TB and IAC valve. If you have the Haynes manual I believe they talk on the cam shaft position sensor, where it is and replacement of it, I'm not too sure, but if you have that manual check through it and see, if you dont I'd suggest picking it up anyway because its very helpful if you plan or doing most repairs and maintinance yourself.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered online the Haynes manual. My car is sitting at the dealer now and they are awaiting my reply. Do you have the manual handy? If you do can you look through and see if it is a DIY job? That way I can tell the dealer to shove it and order the parts and do it myself.
The mechanic told me to take it to the dealer as they didn't know what the problem was.

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Wow, what a rip off, and those mechanic shops must not be that good if they cant do the work and refer you to a dealer (better they do that, than mess up your car).

$1000 is way over priced ( understatement ) fuel system cleaning can be done at any decent shop for about $60~$80, the idle air adjustment you can do yourself with a wrench, and with cleaning your TB and IAC valve. If you have the Haynes manual I believe they talk on the cam shaft position sensor, where it is and replacement of it, I'm not too sure, but if you have that manual check through it and see, if you dont I'd suggest picking it up anyway because its very helpful if you plan or doing most repairs and maintinance yourself.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by greekmax
Here is my problem. My 97 max sporatically doesn't start and just keeps cranking. I have taken it to several mechanics and they have told me to take it to the dealer. I was forced to take it there and they told me that the repair will cost $1000 which includes a cam position sensor a fuel system cleaning and a idle air adjustment. I am most worried about the cam position sensor and have found the part online for $45. I was wondering if anyone has changed this part and If it is a DIY job. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The cam position sensor is held by 1 10mm bolt on the passenger side of the motor. You remove the bolt and you simply pull it out. What else besides the work you listed are they going to do for $1,000? Its a hefty sum for what you listed.

Btw I have a working one off my 97 motor for sale. PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eye Dirty
The cam position sensor is held by 1 10mm bolt on the passenger side of the motor. You remove the bolt and you simply pull it out. What else besides the work you listed are they going to do for $1,000? Its a hefty sum for what you listed.

Btw I have a working one off my 97 motor for sale. PM me if you're interested.

That is all the work they will be doing. They did tell me that the sensor replacement will cost about $350. I know the other work does not cost that much and I never like taking my car to the dealer as I know they are theives. I was only going to ask them to do the cam sensor if anything.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:43 AM

That sensor takes about 5 mins to change, if that!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:46 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

It's just left of the end of the braided hose end (blue/red):
Old 08-20-2004, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chunger

THANKS!!! This is a great help. Saved me a few bucks too.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:04 AM

Omg

Originally Posted by Chunger

they were going to charge a $1000 to change that sensor??

That is amazing and goes to show the extent the or a dealership will go to rip us off, I feel highly offended that they were trying to scam that much money off of you. Thats why I love reading post on the org to learn as much as I can to avoid ever having to go to the dealership for work.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
they were going to charge a $1000 to change that sensor??

That is amazing and goes to show the extent the or a dealership will go to rip us off, I feel highly offended that they were trying to scam that much money off of you. Thats why I love reading post on the org to learn as much as I can to avoid ever having to go to the dealership for work.

Well they were going to charge $375 to change that sensor and $260 to do a fuel system cleaning (probably with a typical aerosol can) and ~$300 to adjust the idle control valve. Yes, I know this is a ripoff and have told the dealer not to do any of the work. The only reason I took it to them is because my mechanic could not find the bad sensor. I also of the belif that the dealer does not know what they are talking about and I will be replacing this sensor for nothing.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by greekmax
Well they were going to charge $375 to change that sensor and $260 to do a fuel system cleaning (probably with a typical aerosol can) and ~$300 to adjust the idle control valve. Yes, I know this is a ripoff and have told the dealer not to do any of the work. The only reason I took it to them is because my mechanic could not find the bad sensor. I also of the belif that the dealer does not know what they are talking about and I will be replacing this sensor for nothing.
for cleaning the fuel system try SEAFOAM look for info on the fluid section

also you may want to try BG services heres the link http://www.bgfindashop.com/ a lot of people here claims that it works theres a variety of services fron egr cleaning ,fuel injection , coolant flush check the link

but like i say before you spend $$ give seafoam a try i did and use 1 can monthly but the first time was great even more if you take fuel filter out and see for yourself
Old 08-21-2004, 07:14 PM

I got the same code but dealer traced it to a bad starter not giving the right voltage so the cam sensor may not be the issue.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:19 PM

Dealer

You
Old 08-22-2004, 07:29 AM

paid for the diagonsis but had the starter replaced under warranty where I had it done aftermarket and the car started right up.

Don't worry I wasn't stupid to pay to get it replaced at the dealer.