4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Insurance

Hi, I am a young budding (18 y/o) Maxima enthusiast in Brooklyn, NY who just got his license in April. I have a sort of peculiar request from someone who is or was in my situation recently. I'd like to get a rough quote as to how much insurance will be because I have not the slightest clue about auto insurance. I think that I'd be put under my dads policy. He's been driving 20+ years with no accidents. I guess I'd like a policy where I'd be covered if an accident is my fault as well as if its the other drivers fault. Insurance against theft really isn't necessary> what is this insurance plan or package called? Oh yeah, I plan to get a conservative color 4th gen Max (black, white, silver) and the faster I found out how much insurance would be, the faster I can get me a Max!! Oh and I called alot of those companies already liek Geico asking for a quote but I suspect they were really off and some even refused to give me a quote under my dad's policy. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Insurance questions

Definitely get it under your dad's policy. It will be a lot more inexpensive than if you went out and got it on your own, which most companies might not do for, unless you have good established credit/employment.

Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx, are all high cost coverage areas, especially for the Maxima. Figure around $3600+ a year for a comprehensive policy. I've been quoted between $2700 - $5,000 a year in Queens. Depends on your drive record, if you've had insurance before, etc.

Comprehensive covers anything that could happen to the car, theft, vandalism, fire. Liability is just coverage for injury to other people.

I suggest you read this:

http://www.autoinsuranceindepth.com/...ance.html#faq1

It would answer almost all of your questions.

Originally Posted by datrutan
Hi, I am a young budding (18 y/o) Maxima enthusiast in Brooklyn, NY who just got his license in April. I have a sort of peculiar request from someone who is or was in my situation recently. I'd like to get a rough quote as to how much insurance will be because I have not the slightest clue about auto insurance. I think that I'd be put under my dads policy. He's been driving 20+ years with no accidents. I guess I'd like a policy where I'd be covered if an accident is my fault as well as if its the other drivers fault. Insurance against theft really isn't necessary> what is this insurance plan or package called? Oh yeah, I plan to get a conservative color 4th gen Max (black, white, silver) and the faster I found out how much insurance would be, the faster I can get me a Max!! Oh and I called alot of those companies already liek Geico asking for a quote but I suspect they were really off and some even refused to give me a quote under my dad's policy. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Before I read the link, and while i still have you on the line: Does Comprehensive and/ or liability include payment for car damage.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:22 PM

comprehensive pays if someone steals your car, vandalizes it, if a tree falls on it etc..

liability pays for the other persons car if you hit them and if they have damage or medical needs.

collision pays for damage to your car when you are at fault form hitting someone..

you have to get liaibilty in NY, but you can choose if you want comprehsive or collision..

Regardless because you are a brand new driver you are going to have high preimiums. being under your father would help a lot.

hope this helps
Old 08-22-2004, 04:25 PM

You need to call around.. With your age and driving experience it will be hard to get a policy by your self without being under NY assigned risk which has high preimuims.. If you have any other questions ask..

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea it does suck to be a teenager, when can I actually expect decent drops on my rates? 25? I'm planning to have a maxima by may 2005, when im 19
Old 08-22-2004, 04:40 PM

All I know is that NY has very high premiums...my brother in-law lives in NYC and has to pay $4K/year to insure his Jeep! I'm 18 and here in Taxachussetts (MA haha) we have some of the highest car insurance rates in the country- I'm a step 14 driver (no accidents/tickets first year) and I pay $2250/year.

I don't know if being under your dad's policy will help much at all unless you're sharing a car with him. Just to let let you know, you're gonna be very ****ed pretty soon when you start paying your insurance lol.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:42 PM

I was 17 when i got my first car and I grew up in manhattan.. My first car was a 1990 toyota camry, and i had my own policy and payed over 2,800 for just liaibility. The problem is you are young and a risk so it is gonna be a lot of money regardless.. Wen you have three years of insurence, turn 21, or three years on your license you should start looking around and finding better rates.. I am turning 21 now and have found great rates.. Make sure you keep a CLEAN license, no tickets..
Old 08-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I pay 800/yr for full coverage.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:44 PM

man thats outradgious !!! im 19 and I pay $1600 a year for everything you can get from the insurance company.. Definetly shop around, try to find a cheaper price ..
Old 08-22-2004, 04:49 PM

thats great man.. i wish it was like that in this state at ur age.. trust me you cant get a preimuim that low.. ;(
Old 08-22-2004, 04:51 PM

its probably due to the high crime rates.. best of luck
Old 08-22-2004, 04:51 PM

However you look at it in NY insurence is gonna take a hole out of your pocket when you are young.. Your best bet even tohugh I love the maxima is to get a older car for a few years that you dont care much about.. This would allow you to get the lowest insurence allowed by the state and save whatever money you can.. You can get the maxima later, hurts to hear it i no.. ;(
Old 08-23-2004, 11:17 AM

I live in NYC (Manhattan). If you are located in Brooklyn, than your insurance is not going to be cheap. Get yourself under your dad's policy. Take defensive driving course. I'm 26 and i'm paying $1400 liability from Country Wide Insurance. Being 18 years old with a car is not cheap in nyc. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2004, 11:56 AM

Hey, I live in Brooklyn, I think its the most expensive part of NYC for insurance. when I first asked for a quote, costed like over 8K just for minimum liability , that included being licensed under 3 years and I was only 19. Right now im like paying about 4k for liability under my own name, can't wait to turn 21 soon. Best bet is to get it under your dad's name. Just drive safely and carefully, and don't get into an accident where you are at fault. don't do anything stupid and you should be fine.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:06 PM

i pay about 600 a year for just liability