4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tach not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tach not working

My tach stopped working a few days ago. Every now and again it will work. Any ideas on what happened would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2004, 06:35 PM

hey,
i've been trying to figure out what's wrong with my tach for a while now too. it shows about 600RPMs all the time and doesn't go any higher than 1000 when i step on the gas. it used to occasionally work properly but now it stopped. is this what happens with yours too? i don't know what it could be and i've asked around for the past few days and so far i haven't gotten a reply. if you find something useful or figure out what's wrong with yours, can you let me know as well?
thanks a lot, i'll let you know if i find something out too
Old 08-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My tach will go up if I am running the car long. I've had it up to 7000 rpms. But As soon as I turn off the car it goes back to zero. I can't believe we are the only ones with this problem. My car is a 95 how about yours?
Old 08-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same deal here...i am looking into an aux tach mounted offset on the steering wheel sorta in front of the original tach...This is a common problem with the Maxima gauges...some people lose their speedo and others' the tach.....just gotta deal with it by getting a factory new one and risking the chance of it happening again or go the aux gauge route....either way kinda' sucks!
Old 08-30-2004, 05:34 PM

yeah, mine used to work before when the car remained running for a while. but from a cold start it never worked. now it doesn't even work when the car's been running. so in a little while this might happen to you as well. the only explanation i can come up with for this is that some connection in the circuit wears down until it is completely broken. that would make sense because then once the car gets warm enough the wires may expand a little and produce a better connection until (in my case) even that connection wears down. i'm thinking of tracing the wires to whereever it is that they lead and testing the circuit. does this make sense? just from your opinion.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 95' Max has been having the same problem for a couple of months now. Has any one change the throttle postion sensor? Mine revs up to about 3 then looks like it gets stuck. Once the car is warmed up it will go through the rpms sometimes. Glad i have an automatic.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:22 PM

well.. my 95' GLE max had that exact problem; only it was coupled with all of the other gauges except for the engine temp. After I installed indiglo gauges I realized I had accidently sliced through some of the traces on the back of the gauge cluster. Your best bet is to drop the steerin wheel column and yank the cluster out. inspect the back for deterioration, if i remember right the traces are somewhat labeled. Lil' soldering if that does appear the case. Other than that, i havent heard of an issue like urs
Old 09-04-2004, 08:53 PM

mine has been broken for a while too.....and the ONLY time it works is when its raining!!! as soon as it stops raining, it stops working again!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 AM

Tach issue

Have you made any changes? added new gauges?, fuses?, xboxes?/PS2? added anything new to the car at all whatsoever?.. it has to be something new causing it. otherwise ur lookin at either a new tach.. or the backing to the gauge cluster.. (both very simple to replace for moderate tech/mech. person) however I am not sure of OEM pricing.. probably gonna git ripped up ur bum hole

to the homie that says it only works/doesnt' work when it rains.. I would be significant money its the contacts on the back of the gauge cluster getting moisture. do an inspection..

hope this helps

Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 AM

Mine does the same thing... it has been working more and more recently but when it was cold it wouldn't work very often. Sometimes it will shoot up to about 4,000 rpms and then drop back to where the engine really is or all the way to 0. It doesn't bother me too much but would like to know how to get if fixed!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i had this problem when I bought my 96. so i bought an instrument cluster off ebay and swapped the tach into mine and resold the remaining part of the dash to the bidder I beat in the auction....worked perfect.