4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM
ChristheNite

Clutch Replacement

Anyone know how much work it is replacing the clutch in a maxima? I'm thinking about going boosted and know that i need a replacement clutch, so any suggestions or information regarding the replacement are appreciated...

Chris

Old 08-30-2004, 12:19 PM

its a pretty in depth project, check my website for an idea of what you have to do to change the clutch. my best advice to you is to give yourself an entire day, just incase you run into any problems, and have a friend with you. i think it would be A LOT harder to do by yourself. good luck
Old 08-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I guarantee 99% you will need a buddy to help you drop the transmission. Yea, will take about a day, basicly unbolt things and then put it back togather. Make sure you have good set of tools, jackstands etc. Axle nuts can give you a headache to take them off, so take care of it before you jack the car. Haynes covers it good enough, though I founf it not necessary to take out passenger side axle (I had no choise after braking 3 braker bars), it worked out fine. Don't forget about fresh tranny oil or refill with previous one if you recently changed it. If you drain oil by the means of unplugging reverse position sensor, watch out not to flush reverse position switch.

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM
ChristheNite

hmmm

Ahh this is such a toss up, i dont really wanna have to drop the tranny...especially considering i just replaced the clutch 8,000 miles ago...but at the same time I don't want to rip it to shreds with the next SC'er going in...any suggestions?

Old 08-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well theres your problem either put in a new clutch so you can have the freedom to use the supercharger to the max. or just take it easy on the old clutch for awhile. i just replaced my cltuch 10k ago.im going boosted in the next 2 months and im know im putting in a stage 2 clutch to handle the power.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chuckie311
well theres your problem either put in a new clutch so you can have the freedom to use the supercharger to the max. or just take it easy on the old clutch for awhile. i just replaced my cltuch 10k ago.im going boosted in the next 2 months and im know im putting in a stage 2 clutch to handle the power.

stage 2 what clutch?

you get a stage 2 ACT clutch and you will kill your transmission in now time
Old 08-30-2004, 02:18 PM

no cause when i get my clutch done im also getting my tansmission rebuilt to withstand the power of the clutch and boost. im doing my car right the first time i havent decided what brand clutch yet.plus im making my car more for the track than everyday driving.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Administrator

no cause when i get my clutch done im also getting my tansmission rebuilt to withstand the power of the clutch and boost. im doing my car right the first time i havent decided what brand clutch yet.plus im making my car more for the track than everyday driving.
most of the high powered 300+ and 400+ whp maxima's are running ACT Street Clutches.. I don't care what you do to a nissan transmission.. you run a Stage 2 ACT and its going to blow.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:00 PM

oh really people have blown there transmission on stage 2 clutchs. think they would quit making them.. the clutch is not for the horsepower but for the tq..if you were to look it up
Old 08-30-2004, 04:13 PM
ABK

yeah I would say a 4-5 hour job if you know what you doing, less for a mechanic on the lift. Could take you up to two days if it's your first time, got to make sure you do it right.

Replace the rear main seal if messed up, check the input shaft for play, replace pilot bearing, and trow out bearing. Get your flywheel resurfaced (I wouldn't recomend going lightened flywheel route especailly if you are going to be boosted it will suck trying to drive that thing).

For the clutch get ACT HDSS, heavy duty pressure plate with street disk, if you can drive stick fine it shouldn't ruin your tranny (watch that third gear epsecially). Or get something of the same sort from the other company. Anything less I would be afraid just give out under boost, and anything over that would make it hard to drive the car (and more threat to your tranny).
Old 08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Administrator

oh really people have blown there transmission on stage 2 clutchs. think they would quit making them.. the clutch is not for the horsepower but for the tq..if you were to look it up

ok.. well if you do blow you tranny.. please come back and post.. and don't blame the clutch
Old 08-30-2004, 05:47 PM
ABK

Originally Posted by SprintMax
ok.. well if you do blow you tranny.. please come back and post.. and don't blame the clutch
If you want I will blow your tranny with your stock clutch. The problem is the 3rd gear on nissans, with harsh driving it eventually breaks into pieces.
Yes harder grabbing clutch will make it worse, but slipping clutch will kind of defy the point being boosted. Seriously once you start putting out 250+torque you will start burning thru those really quick.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by SprintMax

im sure ill blow the tranny and the engine so what thats the part about boosting that goes with it nothing runs forever.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:44 AM
Administrator

im sure ill blow the tranny and the engine so what thats the part about boosting that goes with it nothing runs forever.
I know of 6 people who blew their trannys on Stage 2 clutches.. i dont' know of anyone blowing their engine with too much power
Old 08-31-2004, 11:17 AM
ChristheNite

Jesus

Chuckie, you're retarded and stop clogging my post with useless dribble...

Sprint - thanks for trying to kill chuckie.

Everyone else, thanks for all the information, I'm still up in the air on what I am going to be doing with this. Hopefully 3rd gear will hold up - i'm pretty gentle on my car and don't really have the dough to do a transmission rebuild, any other precationairy measures i should be taking with this transmission? Yikes...

Old 08-31-2004, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChristheNite
Chuckie, you're retarded and stop clogging my post with useless dribble...

Sprint - thanks for trying to kill chuckie.

Everyone else, thanks for all the information, I'm still up in the air on what I am going to be doing with this. Hopefully 3rd gear will hold up - i'm pretty gentle on my car and don't really have the dough to do a transmission rebuild, any other precationairy measures i should be taking with this transmission? Yikes...
OH excuse me mister for adding a comment to YOUR thread. but if you read the posts ill i added was one comment till everyone started blasting me for using a stage 2 clutch..