4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Code 0446 Evap Solenoid Problem....help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 02:36 PM

Code 0446 Evap Solenoid Problem....help...

I had a cel so I hooked it up to the computer and got that code for evap solenoid. I have a few questions:

1- Can this be the cause of me getting horrible gas mileage?(under 300/tank)

2- Does the evap solenoid have any relation with the rear o2 sensor on the cat?(reason I ask is because the cel came on 20miles after installing the new rear o2 sensor)

3- Does changing the evap solenoid improve acceleration or power?

Only knowledgable answers please cause I am really frustrated with this whole check engine light. I know there are a few guys how know their stuff. People who have helped me a great deal in the past: nealoc, i30tmike.......lots more.
-Paul
Old 09-01-2004, 03:20 PM

bump bump bump

anyone?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 AM

bump bump bump
Old 09-02-2004, 09:31 AM

It does not have anything to do with power, acceleration or o2 sensor. The Evaporated Emissions system is designed to prevent the vehicle fuel system from emitting unburned hydrocarbons to atmosphere. It does this by the simple expedient of subjecting the petrol tank to vacuum through a carbon vapour store, which collects the evaporated fuel and stores it. At suitable moments the PCM opens the EVAP store to the inlet manifold which draws the fuel into the engine and uses it in combustion. The owner confirms that the EVAP is working every time he drives to a service station and opens the fuel cap to fill up. The hiss of released vacuum is caused by the EVAP.

EVAP canister is located on the rear left of your car. Right next to the rear driver side tire well.

I have replaced the solonoid valve and its pretty easy. It is located on the back of the EVAP Canister facing towards the front of the car. Just 2 bolts and very easy to access lying down on your back under the back of the rear left wheel well.
Its connected with a electrical plug, just unplug, remove the 2 bolts and replace with new one.

I think i bought the soloniod for 20 or 30 bucks from Nissan.

GLuck!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by kenju4u
It does not have anything to do with power, acceleration or o2 sensor. The Evaporated Emissions system is designed to prevent the vehicle fuel system from emitting unburned hydrocarbons to atmosphere. It does this by the simple expedient of subjecting the petrol tank to vacuum through a carbon vapour store, which collects the evaporated fuel and stores it. At suitable moments the PCM opens the EVAP store to the inlet manifold which draws the fuel into the engine and uses it in combustion. The owner confirms that the EVAP is working every time he drives to a service station and opens the fuel cap to fill up. The hiss of released vacuum is caused by the EVAP.

EVAP canister is located on the rear left of your car. Right next to the rear driver side tire well.

I have replaced the solonoid valve and its pretty easy. It is located on the back of the EVAP Canister facing towards the front of the car. Just 2 bolts and very easy to access lying down on your back under the back of the rear left wheel well.
Its connected with a electrical plug, just unplug, remove the 2 bolts and replace with new one.

I think i bought the soloniod for 20 or 30 bucks from Nissan.

GLuck!
New list of people who have helped me in the past: Nealoc, i30tMike, Kenju4u

Thanks a lot bro I really appreciate it! Very helpfull post!!

Do you know if the evap solenoid can affect gas mileage? I am getting very poor gas mileage(much worse than when I first bought the car) and I hope changing this thing does the trick.

Thanks again for your help.
-Paul
Old 09-02-2004, 01:07 PM

Well i think it might effect your gas mileage cause the ECU might not be optimizing its fuel air mixture cause its not getting correct info from the EVAP, Also EVAP is not returing the unburnt fuel back to the intake to be reburned.

I would change the solonoid and reset the ECU and also check to see if your knock sensor is working correctly. If its not that will give u pretty bad gas mileage too...
Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM

this was all very helpful to me as well, thank you.