4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! ECU spitting out codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:05 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Help! ECU spitting out codes

Hi All,
Hopefully an easily solved problem for someone out there.
It all started with an 0304 code way back when. I didn't know to check for the hidden code, but I noticed the power and mileage dropoff. The dealer didn't find anything (they didn't hook up the scan tool).

Additional information: Since I've gotten the car, I've replaced the entire exhaust system (the original rusted), replaced the transmission (I lost the differential), and put in a WSP Y-pipe.

At some point, related to the transmission failure, I got a different code that caused the CEL to come on, and checking here, I found out how to pull codes and found the KS code.
This code was thought to be caused by transmission fluid sprayed on a sensor (I can't recall which) when I lost the differential, causing the sensor to fail.

The first replacement KS didn't seem to resolve the problem, but another one did (strange). Not long after, I got code 0905/P1336 Crankshaft position sensor. I replaced the sensor and added the Y-pipe, but the code came back within a week, but this time with a rear O2 sensor code. I recalled that others got O2 sensor codes after a y-pipe, so I replaced the rear sensor, but when I was at the shop, the shop manual on hand indicated that code 0905 could be the crankshaft sensor, wiring, or the ECU itself(!). I was reluctant to take it to the dealer or another shop to charge labor to track an electrical problem down, so I drove for a week with the new O2 sensor.
Within another week, I now have a front O2 sensor code (0303), and the 0905 code never went away.

Questions I have:
I've replaced the crankshaft sensor. If the sensor is doing it's job, what physical problems might I have, and what damage might it cause. Would I notice this in driveability? The car seems notably slower when I have the 0905 code.

How can I narrow down the problem to the ECU without tons of labor to analyze it? Is it even likely that the ECU is the culprit?

I'm going to replace both front 02 sensors now and go from there. Should I also try to track down a spare 96SE 5spd ECU and check if that's the problem? Can other years/models be substituted for a short term basis? Anyone have a spare I can borrow?

Any other suggestions?

All help appreciated
Phil
Old 09-09-2004, 01:13 PM
4 Maximas and counting

*bump*
Any help here?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:35 PM

If imnot mistakin the crankshaft position sensor if faled will go to a default setting in the ECU. I belive the haynes manual i have has a check for the crank sensor. I would htink if the ECu is in default mode for the crank sensor it will yield on the side of caution for actual crank position and not let the car run at its full potential.