4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima experts needed..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Maxima experts needed..........

Hey all,

I just got home from the store. I notice as I was backing out of the parking space that my brights indicator was on. So I thought maybe I accedentally put the brights on getting in the car. Well I went to click them off & the brights were not actually on, it was just the blue indicator. Turns out in the five minutes I was in the store my driver side headlight stopped working. I now that it was working fine when I got to the store because I could see both lights working in the reflection of the glass.

So here is my question. I'm just wondering if the blue indicator being on is a signal that a head light is out or something? I've had headlights go out on me before in the max but I've never seen the blue "brights" indicator come on before when a bulb takes a ****.

The ironic thing is I went to the store to get some replacement bulbs for my rear tail lights. they were not bad or anything but the amber color was kind of faded so I thought it was time for some new ones. I guess my baby didn't want me messing with it so she let me know by taking out one of her headlights.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Custom User Title...

check the bulbs, the lowbeams probably blew out. if not, maybe your wiring harnesses melted if you're using high watt bulbs...most likely the bulb is gone though.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Ya, my driver side low beam is out as I stated in my previous post. the wiring harness is not melted. My question is why did the High beam indicator come on inside the car? I just wondering if this is a built in feature to let the driver know a headlight needs to be replaced. I've never seen this indicator come on before when I have blown out other headlight bulbs.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:44 PM

wow.. our cars are smart!
Old 09-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ive never heared that before... doesnt really make any sence but try putting a new bulb in there and see what happens
Old 09-08-2004, 12:03 AM

Well I finally dug out my collection of bulbs & tossed a new pair in there. Finding a matching set was a task all it's own. I must have 60 different kinds of 9004 bulbs in my box. Anyway after replacing the bulbs the high beam indicator went off. So I guess our cars do have some kind of safety feature to let the driver know a bulb is out.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah if the bright light comes on then a headlight went out
Old 09-08-2004, 01:03 AM

Yeah...Be careful with these new bulbs these days. The cool blue, hyper blue, halogen knock off, ect.......... These will f**k up your electrical sytem bad. They pull so much and the electrical system gets off whack. I had a pair of these and they made weird **** start happening...like the radio would get static if i ran the rear window defroster and there was something else..As soon as I replaced the OEM bulb, it fixed
Old 09-08-2004, 01:51 AM

i've had headlights go out before but i dont recall the high-beam indicator lamp ever going off when that happened

thats frikin great that your headlight went out while you were getting new bulbs. i was at pep-boys getting my driving ligths, get back to the car, turn it on, and one of the headlights burns out
Old 09-08-2004, 01:57 AM

96pearlmax,

Yeah those sh!tty bulbs sure do cause alot of problems sometimes. I've never noticed any electrical issues besides the cheap bulbs not lasting to long. I'm not to big on the OEM bulbs not for the color they produce, but because the difference in light output seems to be really noticable. I actually tested this once & had a stock bulb in the passenger side & a super white in the driverside. The difference in vision is night & day. The super white shows alot more detail compared to the OEM bulb. Maybe I'll go back to the OEM bulbs for a while & see if I like them. A friend of mine owns a speed shop out here & he just gives me different bulbs to try out. So I never have to worry about purchasing them. Headlight bulbs that is. I don't be fooling with those colored interior lights or anything like that. I have to say probably one of the best bulbs I ever used wasn't a hyper blue or anything of that nature it was a set of bulbs I bought at carquest. I can't remember the brand put it started with an (E). I wanna say something like Epron or something similar. Anyways Tom, "he's the owner of the local carquest" had these bulbs on the shelf. I was there buying some other parts & asked him if he carried any bulbs. he gave me these bulbs & was all here try these out. Anyways they were for offroad use only & I think the package said 9004 110w on them. Well these bulbs were bright as hell, I mean the low beams were like twice as bright as my old Super whites with the brights on. Those bulbs lasted a long time. Infact they never did burned out, what happened was I took one out to show my friend what they looked like so he could buy some & he dropped the damn thing. So I had to swap them out. I never went back & bought another set but maybe tomorrow I'll go do that. Then I can post the name brand on here for ya.