4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ground controls with Illuminas or AGX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:06 AM

Ground controls with Illuminas or AGX?

Hey guys, right now I have ground controls with tokico HP shocks.

Needless to say this is a SH$#%$ setup. The car is super stiff and bounces like a POGO when you hit major potholes. To add insult to injury I believe the struts are blown.

My question is to anyone who may have the GC's with Illuminas or AGX. How well does this combination work? Does it still ride like crap or is there a noticable improvement?

I like the car's stiffness around corners but the bouncing is dangerous and braking seems to engage my ABS way too quickly.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Hella internets

Ok... I have GCs and let me tell you... bouncing is always there... even with new struts.. its not THAT bad, but its there always....

Thats the only real drawback to GCs, that and how they bottom out alot... hense the limited suspension travel..

I am riding on AGX with my GCs and i like it.. just turn the stiffness up or down to your liking.. since the GCs are pretty hard on the struts, try staying stiffer that norm...

To be honest, if i had the money i would probably have gotten Koni yellows...but then again if i had the money i would have gotten a full coilover setup like the tein basics hehe
Old 09-08-2004, 07:57 PM

Thank you for responding Xerox. Your post was not very encouraging but honest. I wonder if the Illuminas would perform any better than the AGX. I ask this even more since you seem to think the Koni Yellows would provide a better ride than your AGX struts.

Do you know if and how your AGX struts had to be modified to work with the GCs?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:04 PM
brotherhood of tq

i have the agx's on my car with the gc's. i like they feel and i havent bottomed out at all. maybe mines arent set as low as your xerox. but i think i've blown them cause i've gotten air born ones time and i think my rears arent as good as they used to be. but i say try the lumminas or the blues..which ever one is better.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:17 AM

I already have the blues..... Not a good ride, as you said going over a nice solid steel plate will having my head touching the roof of the car (NOT SAFE!....BOUNCY!). I don't think I bottom out, but my brakes don't feel right when applied heavily and suddenly, and the car bounces too much.

How would I need to modify the Illuminas to work with the GC's?
Old 09-10-2004, 05:15 AM

No one with Illuminas and GCs?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Illumiinas and HPs use the same strut body, I BELIEVE. I know that the AGXs have to have a flange ground off of them to fit the GC sleeves.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the response Phenry. I just called southwestautoworks and they confirmed that it has the same strut body.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Hella internets

Yea, when i installed the ground controls on the AGX they did have to get modified a lil bit.. (grinding off that flange)

Other than that, it was easy, we only needed to mod the front struts tho..

Either way, if you want a good ride with the GCs i would HIGHLY recomend to spend some extra cash and invest in some Koni yellows..

The AGX's werk fine, but they are a lil "under-powered" for the GCs. The Konis's would be a perfect match for the GCs...

just my 2 Euros
Old 09-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i have the agx's on my car with the gc's. i like they feel and i havent bottomed out at all. maybe mines arent set as low as your xerox. but i think i've blown them cause i've gotten air born ones time and i think my rears arent as good as they used to be. but i say try the lumminas or the blues..which ever one is better.
Concidering that the illuminas are more on the comfort end. i would NOT get these for the GCs as the GCs are pretty much the stiffest and most uncomfortable ride you can get on the maxima...

the GCs have something like 400+ pound spring rate in the front (i think, correct me if im wrong) making them THE STIFFEST coils out there...

This is awsome for handling, but not for comfort.

AGX is more of a stiff ride than the illuminas. given that info, i think you would blow the illuminas since they arent as stiff. I would only go AGX or Koni with the GCs.

As for the modification that you have to make, all you need to do is grind a lil flange or ring around the strut assembly. This flange is in the way, and the sleave will not slide over the strut housing. I wouldnt even really call it a modification, just some grinding that you have to do.. it takes like 5-10 minutes if you have a grinder...\

Hope that this helps...