4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Brake Groan - Only in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear Brake Groan - Only in Reverse

Here's a tough problem I'm trying to correct. When backing up in the 99 Maxima with the brake pedal depressed, a very loud groan comes from the right rear brake. Going forward there is no noise.

Here's what I've done to date.

New brake pads, adhesive backed shims, moly grease sliding points, silicone grease caliper pins. NOISE LOUD

New brake pads, old shims, moly grease, silicone grease pins. NOISE LOUD

New brake pads, adhesive backed shims, applied break squeal to back of shims, silicon grease caliper pins. NOISE LOUD

New brake pads, old shims, break squeal to back of shims, silicon grease pins. NOISE LOUD

I've even done all four of the above combinations with both the old rotor and a new Brembo rotor. NOISE LOUD

I've even tried add some moly to the back of the rim where it contacts the hub to see if the noise could be caused by this metal to metal contact. DID NOT HELP

I've currently gone back to the original used NISSAN pads, original rotor, original shims. NOISE STILL LOUD.

As you can see, I've tried just about every combination of new and old parts along with the various types of anti-squeak and brake lubes. NOTHING WORKED

The only part I've haven't changed has been the brake hardware. Its still in excellent shape, been well cleaned and fits snug.

My noise is VERY LOUD and only occurs when going in reverse. I know there's been a TSB on the rear brake groan but this seems to apply to going forward after you take your foot off the brake, whereby the parking brake doesn't fully release.

My noise occurs going in reverse with brakes applied.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I need help on this one!

Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 07:33 PM

i have the same bull **** with my brakes only its random and different noises.

i have done everything you have too little effect.

we both need to look long and hard at our calipers. from what i have heard you can get some brand ones from autozone for around 40 each with a core(your old calipers).

good luck
Old 09-19-2004, 05:36 AM

Just had an idea, today I'm going to disconnect the parking brake cable and see if this or its retaining spring is the cause of the groan. I'll report back later today.

Any other suggestions?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:28 AM

Seems like you tried it all! That sucks man.

Bump
Old 09-19-2004, 08:36 AM

When that happens to me I take off my tire and bounce it on the driveway....I always get rocks up in there and the same sounds screams for me....So my point is you might only have a rock int he wheels or brake somewhere.....hopefully this offers a little insight
Old 09-19-2004, 10:42 AM

FINALLY discovered the cause! It's the parking brake cable. I've disconnected the cable and the noise went away. Reconnect cable noise is back.

It seems when the cable is attached, the tension causes the caliper to shift ever so slightly, thus causing the groan when backing up. I've adjusted the parking brake lever to give as much cable movement possible. Noise is still there but not as loud now. Looks like I'll be getting those parts suggested in the TSB. Hope that solves it for good. I've spent way too many hours working on this.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:59 AM

so, my rock idea isn't the case...that explains why I still have the noise....so the fix or the cause of this god-aweful noise is the parking brake cable....is there a way eliminate the noise but still have a functioning e-brake?!
Old 09-19-2004, 03:02 PM

UPDATE:

Well I just finished up re-installing the new pads and rotor. Used moly grease on all sliding/contact points. Also used the new adhesive back shims. Re-adjusted the parking brake cable lever to give that right rear as much slack as possible. Noise is just about gone, very slight when going in reverse. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks for the new pads/rotor to bed in before purchasing any new parts stated in the TSB.

Yes, the parking brake is still working fine after adjusting.