4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Rotors: Typical life? Minimum thickness prior to replacement? OEM rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 06:59 PM

Brake Rotors: Typical life? Minimum thickness prior to replacement? OEM rotors?

I have a '99 Maxima GXE with 70K or so miles. I will be taking it in to have the rear disc brake pads replaced and I am anticipating that the mechanic will bring up rotor replacement. Just guessing, as it seems to be a common service addition when pads are replaced.

I honestly am not sure whether mechanics bring it up to guard the customer from a rotor failure or as a simple way to get a little extra money from a brake job. I imagine it varies by mechanic.

In any case, can Forum members provide a bit of advice and counsel ...

#1 How often should I typically expect to replace the rotors? My car (I am the 2nd owner) has been on the road since 1998 -- i.e., 6 years. How many miles or years do stock rotors typically last?

#2 What is the minimum thickness for a rear rotor on a '99 Maxima? I used a ruler (not a micrometer) and estimate that my rotors measure approximately 9mm. My manual says the minimum disk thickness is "cast into the disc", but I could not find the number (and do not want to take the wheel off again to try again). Does anyone have the minimum measurement? Is it the same for both the rear and front disc brakes?

#3 Any idea how much it will cost to have the rotors replaced? Does it matter if I use OEM versus aftermarket parts for the rotor?

Thanks, all!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 11:10 PM

first off why are you getting the brakes serviced? if your not having any problems dont fix what isnt broken.

second-you will need your front rotors replaced a long time before you need your back rotors replaced(fronts do most of the stopping due to weight transfer)

third the mechanic is going to rape you, it will be a fair rapping but a rapping non the less, typically all the quotes i got were up in the middle 400 area. much of this comes from the rotors they will use as i was quoted 100 per rotor.

this brings us to the fourth point which i found to be the best: if you have the time and basic tools you can do this yourself. there are a few excellent write ups with pictures.

i dont know what the minimum thickness is for our rotors

good luck