4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just #@!#?!@#!@ cracked up my Max!!! AHHH - Need advice....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 03:05 PM

Boston traffic. This afternoon. The ****head in front of me who stopped short. Long story short, I have about $3 to $5 g's of damage to the front end of my 97 SE.

From what I can see, it's the hood, right 1/4 panel, whole front bumper, grille, and headlights. However, when I lift the hood, the radiator is slanted back and the "big black bar" going across the front of the car is bent on the right side. My question to everyone is:

What other components are under the front of the car, particularly the right side? Do I need to worry about the air conditioner, etc.. ?

I just want to make sure the adjuster gets EVERYTHING covered. I don't want any suprises when my car starts to drive all messed up, the AC doesn't work, the suspension is messed, etc...

It's my first accident and they're not looking at the car until the end of the week. Any help or advice anyone can offer is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

PS. I posted in the general and 4th gen forum to see what people have to say. I know it may be bad etiquette but I'm still so upset...
Old 04-09-2001, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by abermike
Boston traffic. This afternoon. The ****head in front of me who stopped short. Long story short, I have about $3 to $5 g's of damage to the front end of my 97 SE.

From what I can see, it's the hood, right 1/4 panel, whole front bumper, grille, and headlights. However, when I lift the hood, the radiator is slanted back and the "big black bar" going across the front of the car is bent on the right side. My question to everyone is:

What other components are under the front of the car, particularly the right side? Do I need to worry about the air conditioner, etc.. ?

I just want to make sure the adjuster gets EVERYTHING covered. I don't want any suprises when my car starts to drive all messed up, the AC doesn't work, the suspension is messed, etc...

It's my first accident and they're not looking at the car until the end of the week. Any help or advice anyone can offer is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

PS. I posted in the general and 4th gen forum to see what people have to say. I know it may be bad etiquette but I'm still so upset...
Dude, that is going to be a hard one to beat because you hit the car from behind. They are going to say you were following to closely. I got into an accident on Commercial St 2 weeks after I bought my Max. I was pissed. I was in the right lane and this guy decides he want to pull into a parking lot from the left lane. He tried to lie to my insurance company and said it was a one lane road and I was trying to pass him on the right. Do what I did, even if you were in the wrong, take a whole buch of pictures to prove your case.
I don't know what town you live in but I took my car to Cambridge Nissan they did a great job on my ride If you decide to go with them talk to Bob or Sal. Two good guys.

http://www.cambridgecars.com/
Old 04-10-2001, 06:17 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Allston auto works does good work too, but be prepared to be without your car for a while, they are extremely busy.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

abermike

Sorry to hear about the accident...
Where exactly in Boston did that happen?
Old 04-10-2001, 07:26 AM
The missing moderator

looks like your frame might be bent...
check the suspension parts, making sure nothing is bent.
AC, I think the condensor is up front, but probably ond river side, maybe not... so not sure about that.

Find a good frame shop.. have them check it out.

-Shing
Old 04-10-2001, 09:06 AM

Be a man

Boston traffic. This afternoon. The ****head in front of me who stopped short. ...
Be a man. Take responsibility for your own actions. If you run into the back of another vehicle you are the ****head, not him.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:10 AM

Re: Be a man

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Be a man. Take responsibility for your own actions. If you run into the back of another vehicle you are the ****head, not him.
He does have to deal with his own issues on this but if you ever drove here in Boston you would understand what he is talking about and why he is upset. The driving here sucks badly, worse than anywhere I have ever driven.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:19 AM
SMX

Re: Be a man

Come On was that necessary!!
Old 04-10-2001, 09:23 AM

People don't stop short, you followed too closely. Nobody stops short so he can get rammed in the back! I agree with Dan, take responsiblity for your actions and learn from your mistakes.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:29 AM

All you guys, don't dog on the dude because he had an accident. He is asking advise on what to be aware of before his car gets fixed. If people in the forum has never driven in Boston, then you don't know. People stop where they are not supposed to. There is no form to driving in this town they call a city. If you all were in this accident, you would want the other person to be in the wrong too. All he has to do is prove his case.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by deezo
All you guys, don't dog on the dude because he had an accident. ...
I'm not down on him because he had an accident. I did criticize him for casting blame on someone else. We see this sort of thing all the time, and it is wrong. Everybody who suffers some kind of injury (to person or property) want to blame somebody else. Then the lawyers get into the act and sue, sue, sue.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:43 AM

I had the misfortune of driving in Boston for 2 weeks last holiday season --

I can attest that people slow way down on the highways for no apparent reason -- going even well below the posted speed limits --

Still, if you know that is how people drive -- then follow accordingly -- keep enough distance --
Old 04-10-2001, 10:56 AM

We're all adults here, and we all know that if you rear-end someone, you are to blame. The only exception is when the front car driver maliciously slams his brakes and purposefully forces an accident.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well doesn't that mean you should leave more room for the car in front?

I don't think that the fact that you live in Boston changes who is at fault.

Seems like you can either drive more defensively or complain more when you rearend someone.

Originally posted by AndyXXL

If you think so then obviously u dunno what Boston driving is all about. I drive in Boston every day, spend over 3 hours in traffic daily. I think real bostonians know that driving here is like being in hell.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:08 AM

hm...weird, my 1st post just disappeared
Old 04-10-2001, 11:12 AM

Jeff, I'm not saying that Boston traffic is the only reason why it happened. Of course, it all depends on a driver too. It just happens that Boston has the worst drivers than anywhere else
I try to keep the distance all the time, although I drive agressively.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:53 AM

I'm not down on him because he had an accident. I did criticize him for casting blame on someone else. We see this sort of thing all the time, and it is wrong. Everybody who suffers some kind of injury (to person or property) want to blame somebody else. Then the lawyers get into the act and sue, sue, sue.
I just want you all to know that everything all comments here are understood. There are many sides to this story and I guess what I am getting at is that this guys has a lot of stress in dealing with what happened. I think we as fellow drivers, yes, tell him he's wrong when he's wrong but I think we could also leave that to his wife. I do live in Boston and drove buses and limos for a company named Boston Coach for 4 1/2 years. I went through a training course called the Smith System. Some may think driving the Smith System is gay, but everyone should take a look at it. The theme of this training is to "leave yourself an out". I am a much better driver now than I thought I was.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:21 PM

Hey.....I admit i'm at fault

Woah! I totally admit I was at fault. You're right, I hit the other guy in the back. But it came to the point when I looked at the front of my car and almost had tears in my eyes; I've only had the car for three months... My post was ~45 min's after it happened.

I was man enough about it. I got out of the car, apologized, and admitted up front to the other guy I was at fault. I gave him my policy number, ins co's phone number, and even the name of the girl there who I always talk to!

FYI - It happened on the expressway southbound in front of the South Bay Center (exit 15) going south out of the city during 5:00 PM rush hour.

Thanks for the comment about Cambridge Nissan. I talked with Bob and he was totally awesome. He wants my car tomorrow and said to tell the ins company to come look at it at the Nissan dealer. I work downtown in the financial district so that dealer is cool being next to the T.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:02 PM

Re: Hey.....I admit i'm at fault

Woah! I totally admit I was at fault. You're right, I hit the other guy in the back. But it came to the point when I looked at the front of my car and almost had tears in my eyes; I've only had the car for three months... My post was ~45 min's after it happened.

I was man enough about it. I got out of the car, apologized, and admitted up front to the other guy I was at fault. I gave him my policy number, ins co's phone number, and even the name of the girl there who I always talk to!

FYI - It happened on the expressway southbound in front of the South Bay Center (exit 15) going south out of the city during 5:00 PM rush hour.

Thanks for the comment about Cambridge Nissan. I talked with Bob and he was totally awesome. He wants my car tomorrow and said to tell the ins company to come look at it at the Nissan dealer. I work downtown in the financial district so that dealer is cool being next to the T.
Hey, they will treat you good. Bob and Sal are good people.