4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need wiring circuit info

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 03:36 PM
lighter

I was attempting to swap the 194 wedge lamps in my door from white to blue when I managed to damage something.

The passenger door courtesy lamp is now dead and I can't figure out what happened. I've been through the fuse block under the steering wheel and in the engine bay and nothing is blown. Every other electrical circuit in the car is working.

What the heck is that courtesy lamp wired off of?

I have a good lamp, the blue and the original white both work in the drivers door. The socket is good, I have continuity through the back of the socket through the lamp and back.

Where does that wire run? How could I have blown this circuit and not affected anything else?

Does anybody out there have a factory schematic that they could consult and let me know where to continue the search at?

Old 04-09-2001, 05:27 PM

You have a 1996. Here's what I would do first. Check your right front door switch - it's located on the car body (not the door), at the bottom of the B-pillar. Make sure you can push it in and once depressed, make sure it comes back out. To verify its operation, the interior dome light, the driver's side step lamp, and the green circle around the key switch on the steering wheel column should all illuminate when the switch is not depressed (normally open).

If the door switch is functional, we have to look elsewhere. Unfortunately, Haynes has no circuit diagram for 4th gen courtesy lights (they have 'em for 3rd gen only). On the 3rd gen, the interior step lamps are connected in parallel to the fuse block and an element called "J/C". I don't know what J/C means, sorry.

My two suggestions:
  • recheck your fuses (in particular, fuse #26 - 7.5 amps)
  • check your right front door switch
I hope I've helped you more than I've confused you.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by lighter
I was attempting to swap the 194 wedge lamps in my door from white to blue when I managed to damage something.

The passenger door courtesy lamp is now dead and I can't figure out what happened. I've been through the fuse block under the steering wheel and in the engine bay and nothing is blown. Every other electrical circuit in the car is working.

What the heck is that courtesy lamp wired off of?

I have a good lamp, the blue and the original white both work in the drivers door. The socket is good, I have continuity through the back of the socket through the lamp and back.

Where does that wire run? How could I have blown this circuit and not affected anything else?

Does anybody out there have a factory schematic that they could consult and let me know where to continue the search at?
According to the '99 Maxima factory service manual the passenger door step light circuit runs through Local Control Unit 02, located inside the front passenger door. LCU02 communicates with the Body Control Module via two multiplexed signal lines, Data Line A-1 and Data Line A-2. The Body Control Module is located in the passenger cabin, under the center console and directly above the Transmission Control Module.

Based on your report of symptoms, you may have "fried" LCU02.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:27 PM
lighter

Thanks

Should I assume LCUO2 is the passenger door switch/electronic assy?

I had them all out when I rewired to blue LED's. another time's not gonna hurt anymore.

Old 04-10-2001, 01:06 PM

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by lighter
Should I assume LCUO2 is the passenger door switch/electronic assy?
Yes.