4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU code help: 0114 - Right bank running rich

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Do I get a tax break?

ECU code help: 0114 - Right bank running rich

All - long post - but I wanted to give you as much info. as possible.

Pulled the code 0114 from a friend's 97 GXE, 95k. No other codes reported.

0114 means the O2 sensor (right bank) detected an overly rich exhaust composition...

I think this could mean one of the following:

1) Bad injector(s) on the right bank (closest to the firewall)
2) Bad O2 sensor, causing ECU to signal injectors to provide more fuel eventually causing the O2 sensor to detect a rich condition
3) Bad MAF? Not providing enough air for complete combustion - thus resulting in a rich exhaust composition?

(1 and 2 are sort of like the chicken and the egg, i.e. is the O2 sensor telling the fuel injector to pump out more fuel and then detecting too much fuel, or is a injector sticking and dumping too much fuel - thus being detected by the O2 sensor).

Here are the symptoms (each happens a handful of times a week):

1) Car will just stall while sitting at a light (i.e. idles ok between 600-700, and then suddenly dies).
2) Car starts and dies immediately - requires several attempts to restart, i.e. cranks but no fire, or starts-dies repeatedly.
3) Hesitation during driving (typically when the foot is OFF the gas, i.e. decelerating/coasting - at speeds < 40mph).

I am inclined to replace the O2 sensors since they are still the originals (as far as I know). I'll probably replace the plugs too since they are most likely carbon-fouled from running rich.

What do you all think? Anyone else have a similar code - if yes, what was the actual problem in your case?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Before you start replacing o2's make sure the car is up to date in maintanence. Do a tune up if necessary, plugs, fuel & air filters, clean the throttle body and run a bottle of Techron throu a tank of gas. Clear the error in the ECU and see if it throws it again.

I don't think the MAF would cause only one bank to run rich.
A bad fuel injector could cause the issue, you might be able to detect which cylinder has the bad injector by looking closely at the spark plugs. One will be covered with black carbon deposits.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Before you start replacing o2's make sure the car is up to date in maintanence. Do a tune up if necessary, plugs, fuel & air filters, clean the throttle body and run a bottle of Techron throu a tank of gas. Clear the error in the ECU and see if it throws it again.

I don't think the MAF would cause only one bank to run rich.
A bad fuel injector could cause the issue, you might be able to detect which cylinder has the bad injector by looking closely at the spark plugs. One will be covered with black carbon deposits.
Excellent info. I should add the following:

The driveability problems have been on/off for the past 6 months, but yesterday was the first time the CEL came on. Before the CEL came on, I have done the following:

1) Replaced air filter
2) Replaced fuel filter
3) Swapped out IACV
4) Cleaned TB
5) Add Techron to the gas

Good point on the MAF - it would not affect only one bank - so I will rule that out for now. My guess is that at least one of the plugs is fouled - if it ends up being a single plug - I think we can isolate the problem to a single injector right? If all three are fouled on the right bank, then it maybe an O2 sensor issue? Does that seem like a reasonable assumption?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by njmodi
I think we can isolate the problem to a single injector right? If all three are fouled on the right bank, then it maybe an O2 sensor issue? Does that seem like a reasonable assumption?

Thanks!
Yes............
Old 09-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Yes............
Well some more info. I had my friend call the dealer he uses, and both his front O2 sensors were replaced at around 65k (2 yrs ago)... so I'm pretty sure that they are probably ok (plus no CEL with O2 sensor codes). I'll check the plugs when I get a chance to see which ones are fouled - unfortunately the right bank is the closest to the firewall - so the injectors require removal of the manifold right? Any one have tips on that or experience with that? I think that might be beyond my "skills" and he might have to take it to a shop.

Thanks.