4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Where do I put a floor jack to lift the whole front end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 07:47 AM

I know the points behind the front wheels (and in front of the rears), but how do I lift the entire front end to put jack stands underneath (you can't put the jack stands where the jack is!).
Old 04-10-2001, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Maxwell
I know the points behind the front wheels (and in front of the rears), but how do I lift the entire front end to put jack stands underneath (you can't put the jack stands where the jack is!).
The Maxima factory service manual identifies two "garage jack points":

(1) The leading end of the fore-and-aft stamped steel brace which is under the engine/transaxle in the center of the vehicle. Jacking at this point raises the entire front of the vehicle.

(2) The center point of the rear axle. Jacking at this point raises the entire rear of the vehicle.

I replaced the original cup-like steel saddle on my floor jack with a rubber-faced flat plate (Harbor Freight #36004, $10 +s/h, or equivalent.) This is kinder to the car, marks it up less. Another approach would be to fashion a rubber insert for your cup-like saddle. Collect one of those truck tire treads which litter the highway roadside. Look for a thick one. Cut out a piece which will fit inside the saddle. Let it "float" or secure it with a big gob of adhesive, as you wish.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The Maxima factory service manual identifies two "garage jack points":

(1) The leading end of the fore-and-aft stamped steel brace which is under the engine/transaxle in the center of the vehicle. Jacking at this point raises the entire front of the vehicle.

(2) The center point of the rear axle. Jacking at this point raises the entire rear of the vehicle.

I replaced the original cup-like steel saddle on my floor jack with a rubber-faced flat plate (Harbor Freight #36004, $10 +s/h, or equivalent.) This is kinder to the car, marks it up less. Another approach would be to fashion a rubber insert for your cup-like saddle. Collect one of those truck tire treads which litter the highway roadside. Look for a thick one. Cut out a piece which will fit inside the saddle. Let it "float" or secure it with a big gob of adhesive, as you wish.
Thanks, Daniel. Haynes and the car manual were no help.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:25 AM

What about jack stands, Where is the best place to put those?
Old 04-10-2001, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Canuck
What about jack stands, Where is the best place to put those?
Look under either side of the vehicle and you will see a boxed section of the floorpan, running fore-and-aft. This amounts to a "frame" on a unibody vehicle. You may position the saddle of your floor jack under the leading end of this "frame" (behind the front wheel) or under the trailing end (ahead of the rear wheel). These are the spots which are used when a shop technician uses a lift to raise your car. You may use these locations for a floor jack or for jackstands.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:50 AM

How about putting the jack stands where the marks are for placing the sissor type jack that came with the car? Thats where I put the jack stands when working on the car. Is that a good place to put them also? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by danny's_max
How about putting the jack stands where the marks are for placing the sissor type jack that came with the car? Thats where I put the jack stands when working on the car. Is that a good place to put them also? Thanks.
This depends on the type of jackstands you have. If you have the kind which has a vertical slot in the saddle, you may use them. If your jackstands don't have the vertical slot you risk crushing the spot-welded body flange.