4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4.5 qts came out of Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

4.5 qts came out of Tranny

Hello everyone, I just changed the ATF fluid on a 95 GXE by opening the 3/4" bolt on the pan, and a whopping 4.5 qts came out!!! I havent changed the ATF since we got the car, so I'm wondering if it was overfilled before. I refilled it with 3.5 qts of Chevron Dexron 3 ATF. (which seems to be ok, on the dipstick....ATF fluid level is so hard to read) The car runs the same before and after. Does anyone know how this happend???
Old 09-24-2004, 07:08 PM

Really, I thought we had 12qts?? LOL

Maybe im confused.. who knows.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:49 PM

You should have way more than come out. I had 8 guarts come out. You would need to drop the pan to and flush the other to get the rest. Chekc it properly make sure you have enough fluid.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:55 PM

Just in the oil pan you'll have 4.5 to 5 or so. The rest is inside the converter and clutches inside the transmission. The only way to get it all out is to do a complete flush.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:37 PM

was your car level? did you jack the front and the back up?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:53 PM

yeah hes suposed to have 4.5 coming out of the pan, you need to flush 2 or 3 times to get 80% flushed out, or pull the drain hose from the radiator and start the car and take out 2 quarts at a time and refill those 2 quarts at the same time
Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
yeah hes suposed to have 4.5 coming out of the pan, you need to flush 2 or 3 times to get 80% flushed out, or pull the drain hose from the radiator and start the car and take out 2 quarts at a time and refill those 2 quarts at the same time
yes the car was on level ground. I did not even raise the car, to change the fluid. I also drove for like 5 miles because they say warm fluid washes out the dirt better.......
whats this thing about disconnecting the radiator hose??? I disconnect the tranny to radiator hose, on the radiator end, and then turn the car on??????? then take out 2 quarts at a time???
Old 09-25-2004, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by aminus21
whats this thing about disconnecting the radiator hose??? I disconnect the tranny to radiator hose, on the radiator end, and then turn the car on??????? then take out 2 quarts at a time???
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&page=3&pp=40

Check here for instructions on 5th Gen but 4th Gen is the same. This is how you flush the entire system and replace with new fluid without contaminating or mixing the old with the new like you just did. This is especially important if the old fluid is black or dirty or if you are replacing with Synthetic.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:19 AM

So what the guy is saying is to diconnect the tranny-to-radiator hose, and turn the car on, and let 2qts come out. Then pour 2qts back in, and turn the car on again, and let 2 more qts shoot out, and then do it again??? Wont that still be contaminating the fluid, because what is shooting out is a mixture of the 2 qts you put in, and the stuff already in there. Or will the new fluid that you put in "PUSH" the old fluid out???
Old 09-25-2004, 10:30 PM

Thats exactly what happens, after you drain and fill the pan. The pump then picks up the new fluid and pushes all the old stuff through the rest of the transmisison and out to the cooler.

I believe the trans hold approx 9 qts so I use at least 10 to ensure that all the old stuff is gone. One transmisison I did the fluid was quite dirty and you could literally see the dirty fluid change to clean if you watched it being pumped into a clear container.

Also the pump probably takes about 20-30 seconds to pump out 2 qts so its not like really fast and a job that you can do by yourself.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:51 AM

Ok how do I know which line is the "feeder" line (the one sending fluid to radiator),
and which line is the return line, which sends fluid back to the tranny, from the radiator?? Also is the "flushing" process done with the tranny in Park???????????
Old 09-26-2004, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by aminus21
Ok how do I know which line is the "feeder" line (the one sending fluid to radiator),
and which line is the return line, which sends fluid back to the tranny, from the radiator?? Also is the "flushing" process done with the tranny in Park???????????
Leave it in Park.
The fluid comes out of the bottom connector on the trans and returns on the upper one.

This is a repost of the url I posted above. Also fyi a lot of the machines at the shops use the trans pump to flush as well, other have their own high pressure pump.

Automatic Transmission Flush

Read this first for info on how to do the flush, install cooler and some pictures. If you are contemplating a trans cooler, now would be a good time to install it. Some recommend dropping the pan, cleaning the strainer and magnets which is a good idea but even the dealer doesn't do this. Its not a job for the average enthusiast.

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_...ler/index.shtml

https://maxima.org/forums/audio-electronics/149056-question-people-have-installed-lcd-bose-hu-locatinon.html

Before you start, go and buy 10 qts of your favorite auto trans fluid. (I recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic)

The whole procedure can be done in 30 mins or less but take your time and do it right.

1. Jack up either the front or drivers side of the car and put in jackstand.

2. Remove the drivers side engine undercover.

3. Remove drain plug from transmission and drain fluid into suitable container, this will be approximately 4 qts. Insert drain plug and pour the same amount of new fluid into the transmission. (Transmission should now be back to stock level)

4. Disconnect the fluid supply line at the bottom of radiator. Its the bottom line connected to the transmission. (Be very careful removing this line, its very easy to break the hose nipple on the radiator) Put the end of the hose into a clean, clear or white plastic 1 gal container.

5. While you are holding the hose get someone to start the car until the transmission pumps out approximately 2 qts (half the container). This should take 15-20 seconds, its not really fast so don't panic, I do it all myself but its easier if you have someone to start and stop the engine for you.

Note: If the trans fluid comes out of the bottom of the radiator vs the hose you are holding you have the wrong line. Put it back on and remove the other one.

6. Pour the same amount of new fluid back into the transmission that you pumped out.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until fluid changes color. Since you already put 4 qts in initially and the trans holds 9 qts we are talking about approx 5 qts. I buy 10 qts and remove that much just to be sure I got it all. (The trans flushing places use much more and synthetic fluid is expensive).

8. If your fluid is in fairly good condition the color change will be very small and may not be noticable so stop at 10 qts.

9. Reinstall hose to radiator, replace engine cover, lower car and recheck trans fluid level to make sure you have the correct level. Maybe even go for a small drive and recheck to make sure, its difficult to read at times.

10. There you have it. What you have basically done is removed all the fluid from the pan and replaced it. The internal pump takes its suction from the pan and pumps to convertor and all internal trans part then to radiator for cooling. So you have completely replaced all fluid internal to the transmission without shocking your transmission into submission like the force flush machines do.

btw When the dealer does a transmission fluid change all they do is drain the pan and refill, which is right from the FSM.

Also some people do a few drain and refills to change their fluid but all you are really doing is mixing 4 qts of new fluid with 5 qts of old fluid and pumping it around, eventually you would get a complete change but I really don't like the idea of mixing old and new, a complete change is very easy and does it all the first time with very little waste.