4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best way to 200whp

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 02:51 PM

Best way to 200whp

Guys I want some more power out of my max, so far i've only done external mods, clears , muffler, tints stuff like that. I have a 97 SE 5 speed. I've been thinking about this for awhile, im trying to get 200whp n/a and i need to do it in the cheapest way possible...lol...anyways im thinking, budget y pipe, ebay CAI, U UDP. That'll get me to at least 185 im thinking, but what should i do about the rest, mevi/ecu?
Old 09-25-2004, 03:04 PM
SLOW

ECU, MEVI, headers, pathfinder TB, Bpipe, would probably be needed as well to get to 200whp.

Just a thought though, dyno numbers mean nothing really. You might make 200whp on one machine and only 190whp on another machine. That doesn't mean anything, it just means one machine reads lower than the other. They all read differently. for instance I didn't come anywhere close to the dyno numbers I was "expecting" when I dyno tested all my mods, but that doesn't mean squat in reality, just that I probably had a machine which read low.

I had "only" 185whp and totally anemic torque #s, 175ish tq, and yet I've got trap speeds that indicate I was one of the more powerful NA maximas out there. Moral of the story is don't cry if you don't get to the magical 200whp level it doesn't mean you aren't making good power it just means you have a low reading dyno.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
ECU, MEVI, headers, pathfinder TB, Bpipe, would probably be needed as well to get to 200whp.

Just a thought though, dyno numbers mean nothing really. You might make 200whp on one machine and only 190whp on another machine. That doesn't mean anything, it just means one machine reads lower than the other. They all read differently. for instance I didn't come anywhere close to the dyno numbers I was "expecting" when I dyno tested all my mods, but that doesn't mean squat in reality, just that I probably had a machine which read low.

I had "only" 185whp and totally anemic torque #s, 175ish tq, and yet I've got trap speeds that indicate I was one of the more powerful NA maximas out there. Moral of the story is don't cry if you don't get to the magical 200whp level it doesn't mean you aren't making good power it just means you have a low reading dyno.
Nealoc,

I was just wondering about the Pathfinder TB mod. It's my understanding that this is the way to go if your running FI. I just alittle curious about this mod because I read this thread in the nitrous forum. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=321062
and am alittle skeptical about it actually being beneficial on a naturally asperated engine? I'm not so sure that the smaller stock maxima TB/ intake is so choked up it needs the additional air flow. But then again the MEVI shows gains, but that requires a higher rev-limiter to see the full potential. I understand the concept that engines are basically big air pump's, so more air in more air out. But that really is only true if the engine has the ability to flow the additional air without being forced to do so? I guess what I'm getting at is I feel like theres plenty big enough of a air reserve in the manifold & intake tract to keep up with the engines demands. So what kind of gains can actually be seen with the larger Pathfinder TB on a N/A engine? Also could the addition of the larger TB have been the cause for the anemic torque output? Anymore info you can provide for me on the subject would be appriciated. Thanks alot!!!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:48 PM
SLOW

I never had a Pathfinder TB, nor UDP or headers. As far as the pathfinder TB goes I don't think anyone has done a direct dyno comparison before and after, but I don't think it could hurt in any way, and may be good for a few hp. I'm not really the guy to ask about it though because I never had one and have never even been in a car with one.