4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is the Transmission cooler really nessesary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 11:55 AM

I talked to a few guys from transmission shops today and they all think im crazy for wanting to put a transmission cooler on my Maxima. They said there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to do this. Why are they saying this? I know the coolers are really meant for vehicles that are doing heavy towing and stuff like that but why do they think its so crazy to do this? Thanks
Old 04-10-2001, 12:18 PM

If you don't plan on keeping your car past 100k miles, and drive easy then you don't need a cooler. If you ever do anything that would cause the fluid temp to go above 270 degrees (you would need a fluid temp gauge to know this) you need a cooler. If everyone put a cooler on, used synthetic ATF and changed it every 30k miles, transmission shops would lose 90% of their business.
Now, you tell me why the don't recommend it.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:34 PM

Good Point

Thats a good point, they dont want to lose money. The coolers do really help though dont they? I have 86K miles on my car and plan on keeping it a long time so I figured I had better get one. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-10-2001, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by brubenstein
If you don't plan on keeping your car past 100k miles, and drive easy then you don't need a cooler. If you ever do anything that would cause the fluid temp to go above 270 degrees (you would need a fluid temp gauge to know this) you need a cooler. If everyone put a cooler on, used synthetic ATF and changed it every 30k miles, transmission shops would lose 90% of their business.
Now, you tell me why the don't recommend it.
a.) are coolers just for automatics?

b.) how much do they cost?

c.) can a novice-moderate diy'er install one? (alone?)
Old 04-10-2001, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Maxwell

a.) are coolers just for automatics?

b.) how much do they cost?

c.) can a novice-moderate diy'er install one? (alone?)
I have 96K miles on my max and after I put the cooler on it it felt like the transmission only had 20K miles. I would recommned it to anyone with an automatic. It helps a lot especially if you do a lot of spirited driving. The cooler I bought was from Pep boys(403) and it was $39.99. I'm not sure if they are just for automatics?? I consider myself moderate when working on cars but I am pretty sure any one can install the cooler. Try to get some help if you can when attaching the cooler.
De Max
Old 04-10-2001, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Maxwell
are coolers just for automatics?
Yes.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:11 PM
MAXDriver

The average "Joe" does not need tranny cooler for his MAXIMA. Average "Joe" will visit tranmission shop when something is wrong with his tranmission. Install a tranny cooler will delay this "visit" as long as possible.

The cooler provides extra protection for your tranmission by allowing it to run cooler even if you're not towing anything. To me, having this mod is cheap insurance against expensive repairs later on.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by SB97MAX
I talked to a few guys from transmission shops today and they all think im crazy for wanting to put a transmission cooler on my Maxima. They said there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to do this. Why are they saying this? I know the coolers are really meant for vehicles that are doing heavy towing and stuff like that but why do they think its so crazy to do this? Thanks

Old 04-10-2001, 04:48 PM

For only $40 and less than an hours work, I can't see any reason not to get one. I got it because I tow from time to time and I drive hard. I just wish I would have done it sooner.