4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best 4th gen clutch for overall drivability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Exedy OEM replacement kit is not the Key Value kit nor is it the OEM clutch either. Daiken is a subsidiary of Exedy but that doesn't mean Exedy rebadges a Daiken kit. The Exedy OEM replacement is actually supposed to have slightly more clamping force than the Nissan OEM clutch. It definitely has a beefier pressure plate, albeit with a softer clutch feel. I have been using the Exedy OEM replacement clutch since the spring and it has not slipped on me yet. Longevity is unknown, however, so certainly you cannot go wrong with Nissan's OEM kit. Some have reported the Key Value part as being Daiken but I wouldn't be surprised if they just sub'd in any down and dirty cheap part they could get their hands on. Unless you are installing the clutch yourself, I certainly wouldn't be gambling on a cheaper part hoping that it'll work out for you.

BTW, if you've purchased and installed the Exedy and are now concerned... don't be. I think it's a fine part. Exedy is a very well respected name and I would doubt that they would attach a sub-OEM-performing part to their reputation. In my kit, an NTN throwout bearing was included (same one that came stock).
Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Maxima Owner

i liked my centerforce dual friction in my 3rd gen i cant see y there would be much of a difference between 3rd and 4th gen
Old 10-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mishmosh
The Exedy OEM replacement kit is not the Key Value kit nor is it the OEM clutch either. Daiken is a subsidiary of Exedy but that doesn't mean Exedy rebadges a Daiken kit. The Exedy OEM replacement is actually supposed to have slightly more clamping force than the Nissan OEM clutch. It definitely has a beefier pressure plate, albeit with a softer clutch feel. I have been using the Exedy OEM replacement clutch since the spring and it has not slipped on me yet. Longevity is unknown, however, so certainly you cannot go wrong with Nissan's OEM kit. Some have reported the Key Value part as being Daiken but I wouldn't be surprised if they just sub'd in any down and dirty cheap part they could get their hands on. Unless you are installing the clutch yourself, I certainly wouldn't be gambling on a cheaper part hoping that it'll work out for you.

BTW, if you've purchased and installed the Exedy and are now concerned... don't be. I think it's a fine part. Exedy is a very well respected name and I would doubt that they would attach a sub-OEM-performing part to their reputation. In my kit, an NTN throwout bearing was included (same one that came stock).
Which ebay seller did you buy from?
Old 10-07-2004, 07:57 PM

I got mine from eClutchmaster.com (via eBay) and it came with an SKF throw-out bearing.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:25 AM

I have an A.C.T. stage-1 clutch. It has a nice and firm pedal feel with predictable engagement. Very good friction materials.

Pedal feel is noticeably firmer than stock.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by zack342
NO way me too... get the OEm. i have driven a Car with the Exedy stage one and it sucked. there is no pedal feel very inconsistant which for me is difficult to drive because you can't tell where is picks up(grabs). it also sliped when you hammer it 1st --->2nd and it was broken in correctly. The Oem with hold all the NA mods and since most of us are NA that is all that is needed. and llike what was said in the previous post don't get the key value kit.

omg, i thought i was getting that cause i was boosted.

I just got the SPEC stage II put in and i'm getting a lot more chatter than with the exedy, but the spec pedal is a lot lighter, just as light as stock IMO.

i would go with exedy or stock
Old 10-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Some of the Exedy kits come with Luk bearings, for some reason. This is the part that has shown to be the most prone to a premature failure in the exedy kits.

Also, the core componentry on the exedy kit is badged as daiken, and the key value clutch is also made by them. This was confirmed by pulling a key value clutch off of the shelf and looking at it. The difference here is that if you buy a key value kit from the dealer, you get the OEM throwout bearing, which I believe is NTN, though I am not certain. I can look at lunchtime.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by MaxNismo1
I got mine from eClutchmaster.com (via eBay) and it came with an SKF throw-out bearing.
Is it plastic or all-metal?

That is interesting because some of their clutches ship with Luk bearings.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Also, the core componentry on the exedy kit is badged as daiken, and the key value clutch is also made by them. This was confirmed by pulling a key value clutch off of the shelf and looking at it. The difference here is that if you buy a key value kit from the dealer, you get the OEM throwout bearing, which I believe is NTN, though I am not certain. I can look at lunchtime.
Neither the pressure plate nor the clutch disc in my Exedy kit said "Daiken" on it. Are you saying you've seen the Exedy OEM replacement and Key Value kit side by side and they are identical? I would be very surprised at this since it is widely reported from users that the Key Value is not up to OEM performance and Exedy claims their OEM replacement is slightly better. In particular, I would look at the pressure plate. Performance aftermarket clutches sometimes use beefier pressure plates and use a "standard" OE-quality organic clutch disc (unmodified).
Old 10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Neither the pressure plate nor the clutch disc in my Exedy kit said "Daiken" on it. Are you saying you've seen the Exedy OEM replacement and Key Value kit side by side and they are identical? I would be very surprised at this since it is widely reported from users that the Key Value is not up to OEM performance and Exedy claims their OEM replacement is slightly better. In particular, I would look at the pressure plate. Performance aftermarket clutches sometimes use beefier pressure plates and use a "standard" OE-quality organic clutch disc (unmodified).
I am saying that the Key value part is made by daiken. Anything more is simple deduction. Just because the Exedy and Daiken parts are from the same manufacturing conglamorate does not necessitate them being identical.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:37 PM

Here's the other kicker: Exedy/Daiken says that there are a ton of fakes out there (sourced from asia), going so far as to copy stampings, boxes, etc. They do NOT recommend Ebay as a source for their clutches. The Daiken website has pics of a genuine Daiken-Exedy box, one of a genuine Exedy Racing box, as well as a few fakes. I have to say that my box looks like neither of the genuine boxes. Not really sure but does Exedy even sell a OEM-level replacement clutch kit--most retail vendors only sell the Exedy Racing kits? Maybe vendors can freely order Exedy parts and package kits together on their own because looking at the Ebay vendors, they all seem to include in different throwout bearings and often show different boxes, some with their own name on them.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:18 PM

Is it plastic or all-metal?

That is interesting because some of their clutches ship with Luk bearings.
It's all metal. I've never heard of SKF, and the packaging says "supplied by Chicago Rawhide, Elgin IL, USA. An SKF company." The listed website is www.chicago-rawhide.com.

Looking at my kit, I'm suspicious - the pressure plate has "Made In USA" etched in it! Considering Daiken/Exedy is a Japanese company, this doesn't make much sense. There aren't many foreign companies outsourcing jobs to the states.... but on the other hand, there is also the Daiken logo etched on the plate (wings enclosing the letters DK).

The clutch disc has a serial number on it (SDNS185) and the name SECO etched into it. Also, there is a logo similar to Bill & Ted's hangout: Circle K. Picture this ---> (K) <--- but with the parentheses on the top and bottom instead. Anyone know that logo?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:53 PM

Per Daiken:

Genuine disc marking:::Fake Disc marking

Genuine Daikin disc with black hardened rivets:::Fake with silver rivets
Old 10-09-2004, 07:39 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

According to a Nissan parts guy who actually knows what he is talking about (as opposed to most of them), the Daiken kits for Nissan are made in the US.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:17 AM
spk

phenryiv1:

Have you put in the 5th Gen. pressure plate yet? How'd it work out?
Old 10-09-2004, 10:32 AM

so how much should I expect to pay for clutch kit? ebay ones any good? are the ones from courtesyparts oem?
Old 10-09-2004, 01:39 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by maximaseefu
so how much should I expect to pay for clutch kit? ebay ones any good? are the ones from courtesyparts oem?
Did you take time to read any part of this thread before posting?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by spk
phenryiv1:

Have you put in the 5th Gen. pressure plate yet? How'd it work out?
Tomorrow, young grasshopper.

Don't worry, all- I will post results.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
Did you take time to read any part of this thread before posting?

yeah, i read it when it was first posted and then again before I posted. I didn't see any real information except that ebay sells fake daiken. I just wanted some more opinions since I am swapping my engine and figure I may as well change the clutch while it's out. I will just order the oem from jr nissan.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by maximaseefu
yeah, i read it when it was first posted and then again before I posted. I didn't see any real information except that ebay sells fake daiken. I just wanted some more opinions since I am swapping my engine and figure I may as well change the clutch while it's out. I will just order the oem from jr nissan.

Don't **** off Big_Ham, he's got issues with Key Value, he might go ape-isht on you.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by kenji
Don't **** off Big_Ham, he's got issues with Key Value, he might go ape-isht on you.
how would I **** him off?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

4th gen OEM clutch installed. I am mad b/c it was supposed to be a 5th gen pressure plate, but there was a mix-up.

I had the 4th and 5th gen pressure plates shipped ot me, in case the 5th gen did not work, and we installd the 4th by accident.

After pulling the invoice to list all of the part numbers for what was in the install, I realized that we installed the 4th gen OEM clutch. I had a HUGE write-up on it, and when I went to copy the part numbers for people to reference, it turns out that we installed the standard 4th gen PP with the kit. No wonder it went in with no snags.

There is a good reason for the mix-up, though. Nobodys fault on this end, but they were supposed to be marked by the dealer. We got the box, and David Burnette (who was very helpful throughout) had told me that he had lined up the 5th gen PP on the 4th gen clutch disk, so we looked in the box and only one pressure plate had been opened. We installed that one. It turns out that David either did not ship the particular 5th gen PP that he had opened, or HE got the parts mixed up and fit-tested the wong one prior to shipment. Either way, I had the chance to refer to the invoice to double check, but I chose not to. I knew that they 5th gen PP was the cheaper one, and I could have referenced the numbers, but I did not. I still am happy with the install and the new clutch, but I wish that I had something monumental to report. A minor dissappointment.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:13 PM
MaximaFreak

Dood ... no dissappointment there ... at least you don't have a Key Value Clutch like me ... be thankful
Old 10-11-2004, 06:15 PM
MaximaFreak

OMG, Kenji, I just caught that ...

Old 10-11-2004, 06:31 PM

4th gen OEM clutch installed. I am mad b/c it was supposed to be a 5th gen pressure plate, but there was a mix-up.

I had the 4th and 5th gen pressure plates shipped ot me, in case the 5th gen did not work, and we installd the 4th by accident.

After pulling the invoice to list all of the part numbers for what was in the install, I realized that we installed the 4th gen OEM clutch. I had a HUGE write-up on it, and when I went to copy the part numbers for people to reference, it turns out that we installed the standard 4th gen PP with the kit. No wonder it went in with no snags.

There is a good reason for the mix-up, though. Nobodys fault on this end, but they were supposed to be marked by the dealer. We got the box, and David Burnette (who was very helpful throughout) had told me that he had lined up the 5th gen PP on the 4th gen clutch disk, so we looked in the box and only one pressure plate had been opened. We installed that one. It turns out that David either did not ship the particular 5th gen PP that he had opened, or HE got the parts mixed up and fit-tested the wong one prior to shipment. Either way, I had the chance to refer to the invoice to double check, but I chose not to. I knew that they 5th gen PP was the cheaper one, and I could have referenced the numbers, but I did not. I still am happy with the install and the new clutch, but I wish that I had something monumental to report. A minor dissappointment.
Yikes! Darn! Are you sure? I opened & measured both pressure plates, the 4th gen part # is 30210-40U06 & the 5th gen is 30210-89F00. Those were the only examples of each that I had in stock, so I'm pretty sure you got the same ones. I was careful to put each one back in the correct box, but each pressure plate has the suffix of the part # stamped into it, ("40F06", "89F00") so you could double check. I'm certainly sorry if I contributed to the mix-up, I should have provided you a positive ID for both part #'s! It sure woulda been cool to finally nail this one down!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

So are these the parts you used: Clutch Cover 30210-40U06, Clutch Disc 30100-40U14, Release Bearing 30502-41U20? all non key value?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:08 PM
spk

<snip>
Bummer. I may be willing to try the install when I replace my clutch. Too bad your's didn't happen.

DaveB, you posted two different part numbers for the 4th gen pressure plate. Which is correct?
Do the dimensions of the 4th and 5th gen PP's look similar (i.e. do you think it'll work without too many hang-ups)?

Soren
Old 10-12-2004, 07:02 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by DAVEB
Yikes! Darn! Are you sure? I opened & measured both pressure plates, the 4th gen part # is 30210-40U06 & the 5th gen is 30210-89F00. Those were the only examples of each that I had in stock, so I'm pretty sure you got the same ones. I was careful to put each one back in the correct box, but each pressure plate has the suffix of the part # stamped into it, ("40F06", "89F00") so you could double check. I'm certainly sorry if I contributed to the mix-up, I should have provided you a positive ID for both part #'s! It sure woulda been cool to finally nail this one down!
Well, one was OBVIOUSLY opened, and on the other one, it looked to be still sealed. Unfortunately, we definitely installed the 4th gen one. Again, not your fault or ours- just a mix0up. You certainly played no role in the mistake. You did your best to get all of the parts to me ASAP, and I am sure that it just slipped your mind to mark them- and again, I had the opportunity to double-check the #s on the invioce and I got in too much of a hurry.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
So are these the parts you used: Clutch Cover 30210-40U06, Clutch Disc 30100-40U14, Release Bearing 30502-41U20? all non key value?
Those are the 3 Japan-Spec parts that I used. None are Key Value. If anyone wants to try the 5th Gen PP, it is a "clutch cover" with the # 30210-89F00.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by spk
Bummer. I may be willing to try the install when I replace my clutch. Too bad your's didn't happen.

DaveB, you posted two different part numbers for the 4th gen pressure plate. Which is correct?
Do the dimensions of the 4th and 5th gen PP's look similar (i.e. do you think it'll work without too many hang-ups)?

Soren
I was on the phone when he was comparing the two, and he said that they lined up perfectly. Hopefully he will chime in again and confirm.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:46 AM
MaximaFreak

Well, one was OBVIOUSLY opened, and on the other one, it looked to be still sealed. Unfortunately, we definitely installed the 4th gen one. Again, not your fault or ours- just a mix0up. You certainly played no role in the mistake. You did your best to get all of the parts to me ASAP, and I am sure that it just slipped your mind to mark them- and again, I had the opportunity to double-check the #s on the invioce and I got in too much of a hurry.
Holy crap ... two people claiming ownership of their respective actions??? Someone call Guinness Book ... this doesn't even happen at work nevermind on the .org.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Holy crap ... two people claiming ownership of their respective actions??? Someone call Guinness Book ... this doesn't even happen at work nevermind on the .org.

LOL...funny, REAL funny.

Seriously, mistakes happen. Regardless, I have a clutch that works (well). The only regret is that it was not the innovation that we hoped that it would be.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:15 PM
MaximaFreak

Just to clarify ... not sure you all took it this way ...

I'm proud of both of you for owning your own actions as to what you could have done to improve the situation. It is rare to see two people in a business transaction actually own up to things they could have done to improve the situation instead of "passing the buck", pointing fingers and blaming the other guy.

Very admirable indeed. Many .org members and businesses alike could benefit from this.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

phenryiv1 Thank you!
Old 10-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Just to clarify ... not sure you all took it this way ...

I'm proud of both of you for owning your own actions as to what you could have done to improve the situation. It is rare to see two people in a business transaction actually own up to things they could have done to improve the situation instead of "passing the buck", pointing fingers and blaming the other guy.

Very admirable indeed. Many .org members and businesses alike could benefit from this.
I personally took your first post as a compliment. I assume that David did as well. You are indeed correct- it is rare to see ownership of much around here. Like I said above- what matters it that my car works properly. THe fact that we failed to try something new is immaterial at this point.

But I appreciate you taking notice tipping your hat!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:37 PM

I was on the phone when he was comparing the two, and he said that they lined up perfectly. Hopefully he will chime in again and confirm.
The two pressure plates appear virtually identical- The 5th gen has a marginally taller spring height, I'm sure the additional clamping force is the reason. I really think it will work fine and be a good inexpensive upgrade for the 4th gens.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i think im going to get the 5th gen PP.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

went to the dealer and ordered the clutch parts, with the 5th gen pressure plate. i wont have it installed right off, unless i do it myself, cuz im broke for a few. ill update you guys on the install.