4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

crank position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:58 AM

crank position sensor

will a faulty crank position sensor cause a no start condition. my red 95 5sp will not turn period. the battery is fine. all electrics work as if i just shut the car off. the alternator charges properly (after you push start the car) i did a voltage drop test on the starter and it "passed". the only thing left to do is remove the starter and bring it to autozone and have them check it out. i checked the all the obvious starter system fuses and relays. (and ignition ones too)

when you turn the key you get nothing. for those of you that have a 95 or 96 its as if the factory alarm is active so when you turn the key the car does nothing, or for you automatic guys try starting the car in Drive or Reverse.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:03 AM

I'm not sure that the faulty Crank position sensor would cause a no start, I know its to determine Top Dead Center of the cylinders so maybe it wont start if it cant determine the positions of the heads.

Did you do a check on the crank position sensors? use a volt meter to determine wheater is in proper operating range or not? I dont know the number ooff the top of my head but I can post them up later tonight.

So you still get the car to start? when you pop the clutch?
Have you pulled codes? A faulty CPS should trip the light and throw a code.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DAREN
will a faulty crank position sensor cause a no start condition. my red 95 5sp will not turn period. the battery is fine. all electrics work as if i just shut the car off. the alternator charges properly (after you push start the car) i did a voltage drop test on the starter and it "passed". the only thing left to do is remove the starter and bring it to autozone and have them check it out. i checked the all the obvious starter system fuses and relays. (and ignition ones too)

when you turn the key you get nothing. for those of you that have a 95 or 96 its as if the factory alarm is active so when you turn the key the car does nothing, or for you automatic guys try starting the car in Drive or Reverse.

No, a faulty CPS will not give you the symptoms you have. A bad ground connection from your battery will, though, as will any corrosion buildup at the battery terminals. Or your starter or starter solenoid is dead.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
No, a faulty CPS will not give you the symptoms you have. A bad ground connection from your battery will, though, as will any corrosion buildup at the battery terminals. Or your starter or starter solenoid is dead.
the terminals are clean thats one of the first things i checked. as for the bad ground connection (oem: from battery terminal to vehicle chassis) i hadnt thought of that. however i wont be able to do any work on the car until rain stops. (supposed to be tropical depression remnants)

MDeezy: yes the car starts if i push it and pop the clutch.

that is why i want to pull the starter and bring it to autozone and have them test it. i wanted to eliminate as many possibilities befor i went diggin into the car.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i agree with the dirty connection theory. I recently had this same problem. I did a diagnostic and it turned out to be my camshaft position sensor. As soon as a changed the sensor, my car cranked up everytime i changed it. I dont think the crankshaft would cause your symptoms.If your trying to emliminate the possibilites, you can always just try a new CPS. There not that much. Do a bench test on your starter. Faulty solenoid is a good bet.