4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

STARTER...OEM or AFTERmkt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:34 AM

STARTER...OEM or AFTERmkt?

Starter will not crank every 10th time or so. Only a 500 mile owner ('98 SE 90,000 miles) so very new to MAX repairs and venders.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:36 AM
I still miss the max

had to deal with that like last week, i went with oem, i don't see the point in aftermarket, that starter was chosen for your car for a reason
Old 09-29-2004, 12:02 PM

I Replaced mine a few months ago with a autozone starter.. lifetime warranty.. No probs so far.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:33 PM

Starters are easy to change out.

My OEM went dead on me, and I replaced with an AutoZone with Lifetime warranty, that one went out on me in about 4 months, replaced it, and now it feels like its going dry again, going to take it in and get it tested, I'm just glad I have a lifetime warranty on it.

I would lean toward an aftermarket, but if mine is going to keep going out every 4 or so months, then I might just go OEM, the price difference in about ~$100.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:31 PM

The starters from autozone and advance auto come with a life time warranty, which is good cause you will need it. The expensive ones from other sources are usually alos rebuilt and will only come with a one year warranty. It ususually fails just after that. The best thing to do if you are going to keep the car is try to get an new one from a Nissan dealer. It will cost though.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When the factory starter went bad in my GLE, I had it replaced with an aftermarket one (not Autozone, but I don't remember the brand). That starter was about half the price of a Nissan starter and lasted longer. I never had a single problem with the aftermarket starter.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:57 PM

Aftermarket starters are usually if not always just rebuilt Nissan OEM ones. If you look on it you will still see the Nissan Logo... maybe painted over but it is there. They are cheaper and have lifetime warranties... they take about 20 minutes to change so why not use a cheapo Autozone one?

Adam
Old 09-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had my Autozone one for a few months. No problems so far .
Old 09-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got the autozone one. Died in 6 months. Good thing for lifetime warranty
http://thurznite.maximaclubca.com/pi...012%20Starter/
Oh yeah, funny thing... Autozone guy cross-referenced the starter and said it's also used in Fords. So who knows, maybe the starter you get will be a ford.
Jae
Old 09-29-2004, 08:59 PM

OEM? I'm not to impressed with the life span of my original starter in the first place. Did Nissan redesign the starter's for the '97 max? If not, there's no advantage to going OEM. The original one on my max is an Hitatachi. If there is a better brand out there, please let us know. I'm told to try a BOSCH. Whatever the case the notorious starter issue should be billed to Nissan. Besides the '95's any TSB's for the 10 tooth trash in my '97?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:00 AM

As stated above, both autozone and pep boys (in NJ) have Life time warranties. I just bought the pep boys starter for ~$159 with core. Autozone's is only $139 (wish I knew that before). If you plan on keeping the car a long time, get the aftermarket. You very well may need to change it. Also note that replacing a starter is NOT a hard job. Its a good place to start if you want to work on your own car...
Old 09-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

there was an 8 and a 10 tooth starter. I thought the 10 was supposed to the better..? Anyway, my rebuilt was an 8 tooth, and they will both mount up just fine. Bought a lifetime unit from Autozone for the same prices listed above...a year and a half in Wisconsin with no problems.

Anytime you have to turn in your old parts you are getting a rebuilt unit....water pumps, drum brake shoes, calipers etc.

There are some shops that specialize in rebuilding starters and alternators and they generally beef up the weaknesses of the OEM stuff....look in the yellow pages. But they usually takea day or two to turn them around unless they have one sitting on the shelf, which is rare.

Good luck,
JB
Old 09-30-2004, 02:03 PM

YOu guys are clueless with what they sell you at an auto parts store.

What you get at an auto parts store is a rebuilt OEM starter. You know how you bring your old starter back as a core? Thats because they go and rebuild that same old one and sell it to someone else.

Just get a regular Autozone one with a lifetime warranty and you'll be fine. Atleast our starters are VERY easy to change. I did mine in about half an hour.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jbreit
there was an 8 and a 10 tooth starter. I thought the 10 was supposed to the better..? Anyway, my rebuilt was an 8 tooth, and they will both mount up just fine. Bought a lifetime unit from Autozone for the same prices listed above...a year and a half in Wisconsin with no problems.

Anytime you have to turn in your old parts you are getting a rebuilt unit....water pumps, drum brake shoes, calipers etc.

There are some shops that specialize in rebuilding starters and alternators and they generally beef up the weaknesses of the OEM stuff....look in the yellow pages. But they usually takea day or two to turn them around unless they have one sitting on the shelf, which is rare.

Good luck,
JB
No!!!!!!! dont go around with how many teeth are better... the teeth line up with your flywheel so if the number of teeth dont add up, your either going to mess up your starter or grind the teeth off your flywheel.

When you take off your old starter, count the # of teeth on it and count the number of teeth on the new one, it should add up.