4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Carbonfiber Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 10:56 PM

Carbonfiber Hood

I just got a carbonfiber hood for my car. I noticed you can't use the stock shocks to keep it up. What do I use to keep it up and also how strong is this hood and will it fit right? Vis Makes it.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 PM

vis makes it??? what the hell??? i couldn't find one with them. well anyways.....you dont need to use the stock shocks. it wont work, that is why everyone usually uses a regular piece of wood, rod, whatever works. but i also heard about people getting aftermarket shocks for it, but as for me, i dont need them, i think its a waste of money.
fitment will never be as good as oem. but it will fit. good luck.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:31 AM

I know this may be a little off topic. Was going to get this hood on ebay but wanted to know if anyone has dealt with the seller or his product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Thanx
Old 09-30-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by usmcbigguns
I know this may be a little off topic. Was going to get this hood on ebay but wanted to know if anyone has dealt with the seller or his product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Thanx
it looks legit man... you cant know for sure until someone installs it and checks the gaps...
Old 09-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you would have to use a pole, the factory struts are too stron and would crack the hood. where did you get the VIS hood
Old 09-30-2004, 09:05 AM

VIS does not make a hood for the 4th gen Maxima. I bet they would if we called and bugged them enough about it.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
VIS does not make a hood for the 4th gen Maxima. I bet they would if we called and bugged them enough about it.
VIS is Gay! i cant believe they dont make hoods for our cars.
last time i checked, they had hoods for camry's! not talking about the new one's either. WTH? VIS.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
VIS is Gay! i cant believe they dont make hoods for our cars.
last time i checked, they had hoods for camry's! not talking about the new one's either. WTH? VIS.
Trust me I bug them about it daily. I have a feeling they'll bring the hood back, but I have no idea when..
Old 09-30-2004, 09:50 AM

hey

They do make a vis hood for the 4th maxima. Here is where I got mine http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

When it came in the box said vis all over it.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:05 AM

Call VIS and ask if they offer a hood for a 95-99 maxima. 626-839-9833
Old 09-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Umass021
They do make a vis hood for the 4th maxima. Here is where I got mine http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

When it came in the box said vis all over it.

Hate to tell you this, but that doesnt even look like a 4th gen Hood!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:10 AM

I just got a carbonfiber hood for my car. I noticed you can't use the stock shocks to keep it up. What do I use to keep it up and also how strong is this hood and will it fit right? Vis Makes it.
The hood is not really too strong when it comes to durability. Since most cf hoods are fiberglass with a sheet of cf over it, these things can break faster than a hungry fat man trying to resist a twinky. You will just have to take care of it better than any other part of the car.

One of the problems that I had with my hood was that I couldn't get it to fit properly. I only used three of the four screws that were provided with the hood because the fittment wasn't perfect.

Plus, when getting a cf hood you have to purchase hood pins unless you want that hood coming at your face at 70mph.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 AM

Won't the factory hood latch hold it down?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM

Can I wax a carbonfiber hood?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Boosted Panda

Hood latch will hold it down to a degree. But at high speeds, the latch assembly under the hood can and will break away from the underside of the hood. Its FIBERGLASS underneath that the hood latch is mounted to.

Yes, you can wax a CF hood. Id highly recommend to, if you wish to keep that high shine look.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 AM

What speed would it break at?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:15 AM

What speed would it break at?
Dude your outta control!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by zack342
Dude your outta control!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:44 PM

it shouldnt break at all, maybe if you dont have any hood pins it might ( the latch) come apart from the hood, i heard it happened to this guy i know with a civic, so.... just dont fly over 100mph and if thats the case, just get some nice hood pins.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by 95bkackmax18s
it shouldnt break at all, maybe if you dont have any hood pins it might ( the latch) come apart from the hood, i heard it happened to this guy i know with a civic, so.... just dont fly over 100mph and if thats the case, just get some nice hood pins.

Mmmm no, it can be an issue at speeds below 100.
When I first installed mine I did not have hoodpins. At speeds of 70-80 I noticed the hood moving up and down quite a bit, enougth to slow me down to 50-55. Little to no movement at that speed.
When I installed my hoodpins at speeds of 80+ It doesnt seem to be an issue anymore.
I highly suggest hoodpins.
Sadler is one member here on the Org who had their hood fly up on them.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Banned

get hood pins.

it's like doing an oil change and not changing the filter.

phuckin stupid.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Hood latch will hold it down to a degree. But at high speeds, the latch assembly under the hood can and will break away from the underside of the hood. Its FIBERGLASS underneath that the hood latch is mounted to.

Yes, you can wax a CF hood. Id highly recommend to, if you wish to keep that high shine look.

Had this happen to me but it wasn't the latch assembly on the hood it was the latch on the car it's self. All I herd was a noise then the hood was in the windshield..
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM

7 year bump. Nice!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by olivas
Had this happen to me but it wasn't the latch assembly on the hood it was the latch on the car it's self. All I herd was a noise then the hood was in the windshield..
Was it really worth bumping a 7 year old thread for that info?? LOL

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
7 year bump. Nice!!!
YUP! FAIL!!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

in for the 7year old bump.... that sucks i need hood pins
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
in for the 7year old bump.... that sucks i need hood pins
So your keeping the ride after the NOS experience....
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Really? Did you really bump a 7 year old thread just to up your post count?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM

In for post count before thread lock? lol
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM

I think its decided Now that vis makes hoods 4 our carz
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Really? Did you really bump a 7 year old thread just to up your post count?
I'm not about post counts, just did a search to see it anyone else had this problem..
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Got Retrofit?

Man who says the stock hood struts don't work on CF hoods? When I was test fitting mine, I had the struts on and it was fine you just can't let the hood fly open like usual. You gotta ease it up but once it's up theres no problems.

And damn Olivas, didn't I tell you to get hood pins on Facebook? Could've swore I did but I could be wrong. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Man who says the stock hood struts don't work on CF hoods? When I was test fitting mine, I had the struts on and it was fine you just can't let the hood fly open like usual. You gotta ease it up but once it's up theres no problems.
Myself as well as others.
You must have had some pretty weak struts, because with fairly new ones it makes it really hard to close the hood with them. The hood is so light that it doesnt give it enough weight to push in on the struts causing a lot of pressure right in the center.
I have seen it work with weak, and leaking hood struts though. Struts that would not hold up an OEM hood held up CF hoods no problem.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 AM

Won't the factory hood latch hold it down?
owning only 240s with cf hoods my whole life, lemme tell you the pros/cons about these hoods.

PROS:
1) saves weight. = better gas mileage
2) repairable to a degree if something chips.

CONS:
1) No weather strips. EVERY single piece of dirt, dust, and water will get into your car engine bay when your driving. adding rust issues. especially when your car is parked and it rains. these hoods were invented for race cars who live their lives in garages and come out to play in perfect weather conditions. and are not expected to live long anyway. the only reason this material ever hit the public market was demand, not sensibility.

2) weakness. If you mod your car, the CF hood is just welcoming for thieves who can easily punch-in with the sharp end of a hammer and tear the hood in half, having full access to your engine bay.

3) fitment. NONE of them, and i mean NONE of them will have that oem fit ever again unless you go back to a stock metal hood. from far it will look good (if u like carbon fiber), but anything closer than 5 feet will show uneven gaps ie: too close on one end, too far on the other.

4) remember the lack of weather strip? driving above 50mph will cause that little half inch gap in your hood to become a very long engine scoop. adding drag and letting **** fly into your engine, all while stressing the hood's structural integrity.

5) build quality. VIS, Seibon, Origin... 3 brands of hoods i had on my cars. Origin being well up to $800 bucks. let me tell you that the quality between hoods was almost nil in comparison to eachother. which isn't a good thing. the layer of clearcoat on carbon hoods from the factory is paper-thin and i have yet to see a single carbon fiber body part installed on anyone's car that didn't look like utter trash after a couple years. they all peel/yellow/fade, and crack over time. which forces you to buff and paint/reclear them if you want them to look good.

well thats all i have to say. the only thing i'd use carbon fiber for is seats. since they can be covered and don't effect external cosmetics.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Cielo
owning only 240s with cf hoods my whole life, lemme tell you the pros/cons about these hoods.

PROS:
1) saves weight. = better gas mileage
2) repairable to a degree if something chips.

CONS:
1) No weather strips. EVERY single piece of dirt, dust, and water will get into your car engine bay when your driving. adding rust issues. especially when your car is parked and it rains. these hoods were invented for race cars who live their lives in garages and come out to play in perfect weather conditions. and are not expected to live long anyway. the only reason this material ever hit the public market was demand, not sensibility.

Not completely true. Ive owned two hoods that either had the holes or the indentions you could drill out for the plastic rivets so that you could transfer over your weather stripping.

2) weakness. If you mod your car, the CF hood is just welcoming for thieves who can easily punch-in with the sharp end of a hammer and tear the hood in half, having full access to your engine bay.

Same is true for you windows. Once they are broken theives have acces to the inside, as well as the tunk and under your hood. Bottom loine, if theives want it bad enough, they are going to get it.

3) fitment. NONE of them, and i mean NONE of them will have that oem fit ever again unless you go back to a stock metal hood. from far it will look good (if u like carbon fiber), but anything closer than 5 feet will show uneven gaps ie: too close on one end, too far on the other.

This is true for most aftermarket parts, however with the hoods there is some adjustability. Ive been able to even out my gaps. Although the gaps are a bit larger then the OEM hood had, but they are even.

4) remember the lack of weather strip? driving above 50mph will cause that little half inch gap in your hood to become a very long engine scoop. adding drag and letting **** fly into your engine, all while stressing the hood's structural integrity.

Having a good set of hoodpins helps eliminate this. With my pins, cruising at 80+ I get no movement.

5) build quality. VIS, Seibon, Origin... 3 brands of hoods i had on my cars. Origin being well up to $800 bucks. let me tell you that the quality between hoods was almost nil in comparison to eachother. which isn't a good thing. the layer of clearcoat on carbon hoods from the factory is paper-thin and i have yet to see a single carbon fiber body part installed on anyone's car that didn't look like utter trash after a couple years. they all peel/yellow/fade, and crack over time. which forces you to buff and paint/reclear them if you want them to look good.

I have noticed a difference in quality in some of my hoods from different vendors.
But you are right about the gel coating. The two previous hoods Ive had all turned yellow form the UV rays, and the gel coat is very thin at that. On my current hood before I even installed it I had it shot with two layers of automotive clear.
Its all about the items used when making the CF products. I can tell you for a fact, items obtained form Ionicdynamics will not turn yellow or wear thin. Ive owned my trunk as well as other items from them for many, many years and none of them have yellowed or begun to expose the CF weave.

well thats all i have to say. the only thing i'd use carbon fiber for is seats. since they can be covered and don't effect external cosmetics.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

And damn Olivas, didn't I tell you to get hood pins on Facebook? Could've swore I did but I could be wrong. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Yea I think you did tell me but I never thought that the hood release would fail on me. Getting a VIS hood and looking at the AeroCatch pins. How does the VIS compare to other CF hoods out there for our cars?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Boosted Panda

Yea I think you did tell me but I never thought that the hood release would fail on me. Getting a VIS hood and looking at the AeroCatch pins. How does the VIS compare to other CF hoods out there for our cars?
Its the nicest hood Ive had. Sealed edges, and sealed underside.
My previous hoods all had exposed underside frame and the backside of the actual hood skin was also exposed, very thin.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks man hows the Fiber image CF hood??
Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Boosted Panda

Thanks man hows the Fiber image CF hood??
Ive never owned one so I cannot comment on how well they hold up and etc, but from what Ive been told they were pretty nice hoods, and really light. But as far as i know they areant available anymore so if one wanted one it would have to be obtained used.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Ive never owned one so I cannot comment on how well they hold up and etc, but from what Ive been told they were pretty nice hoods, and really light. But as far as i know they areant available anymore so if one wanted one it would have to be obtained used.
Ahh thanks for all the help guys my shop just called and ordered me a VIS with the AeroCatch pins..

Thanks again
Old 06-15-2011, 02:25 PM

lol at the guy who doesnt know how to align a hood.

Quick Reply: Carbonfiber Hood