4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Walker / Universal Oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 04:07 PM

Walker / Universal Oxygen sensors

Anybody got'em? They work/fit ok? Are there 2 oxygen sensors on the car? or 3? Will the plug for these universals fit in all of the locations (dont care of the wire is too short)?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The universals don't have a plug. You have to splice the wires. Check out oxygensensors.com if you haven't already. You can also check out my thread a little further down on the page asking about the sensors on that site. There are 3 o2's on the car. 1 on each of the 2 arms or whatever of the y-pipe, and one either in or after the cat depending on year. I would (and plan to) get OEM replacements.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by idlingmike
Anybody got'em? They work/fit ok? Are there 2 oxygen sensors on the car? or 3? Will the plug for these universals fit in all of the locations (dont care of the wire is too short)?

Thanks,
Mike
Yeah definitly just spend the extra money and get the BOSCH ones. You really don't want to be splicing the wires for your O2 sensors. I just got one and it was like $67 at NAPA but I know on oxygensensors.com they have them for a good price too.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:47 PM

just cut the harness off the old O2 sensor and splice that into the walker. then the walker plugs in like the oem ones.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by machinehead
just cut the harness off the old O2 sensor and splice that into the walker. then the walker plugs in like the oem ones.
yeah guys save yourself $30 on each sensor and just buy the universal. They give you instructions on how to splice them, butt connectors, and heatshrink. All you need to supply is wire cutters to cut off the stock connector, wire strippers, and a lighter for the heatshrink. Also supplied is antiseize compound. Very easy install and they work great. My max felt brand new afterwards.

Good luck

drew
Old 10-06-2004, 09:42 PM

What exactly is the big deal in splicing a total of 9 wires for the whole car? Lets please stick to the subject, which is are the sensors themselves any good?

-Mike

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
Yeah definitly just spend the extra money and get the BOSCH ones. You really don't want to be splicing the wires for your O2 sensors. I just got one and it was like $67 at NAPA but I know on oxygensensors.com they have them for a good price too.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I think many around here have used the sensors successfully - to answer your original question. Here is a link showing the o2 sensor config. for the 4th Gen:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/A32_O2-sensors.html
Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 AM

i put 2 walker sensors (needed no splicing) in my 99 max and i has run like ish for mad long now i brought it to the dealer and they said that u should not use other than oem or bosch. and on my max there are 4 o2 sensors.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:50 AM

just spend the extra money so you don't have to deal with the bs plugg and play
Old 10-07-2004, 12:20 PM

jay kid if your knock sensor is out then that explains why it is running bad..
Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Personally i dont like universal o2s at all. I install them often and i get alot of comebacks with them. I dont know if walkers are better than any other universals but i would suggest getting oem o2s. No matter how good of a job you do splicing the wires the resistance value of the circuit will always be higher than its supposed to be and when your dealing with a sensor that reads in Mv it can make a difference.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:34 PM

I got the Walkers from the group deal. I wasn't throwing any codes, and the ecu was getting proper signals (20 adjustments/minute, I think it was). There was no change in drivability or fuel efficiency. I had 140k on stock O2 sensors.
Jae
Old 10-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
Why is that? I'd rather save myself the $20 and solder/splice them in a couple of minutes.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Why is that? I'd rather save myself the $20 and solder/splice them in a couple of minutes.
Well I dont think $20 is that great of savings that you would be doing that. I would rather just buy the plug and play ones. Before I got mine they mechanics that I know said whatever I do don't buy the universal ones so thats why I got the BOSCH one, but I found this on some website... "Bosch oxygen sensors are an exact replacement for the original (OEM/OES). The construction, number of wires and connectors are the same as the OE, which eliminates the risks associated with splicing and crimping wires (required for many "universal" replacement oxygen sensors).

Some three- or four-wire universal oxygen sensors also do not have the same heater circuit watt ratings as the OE sensor, which may cause driveability and emissions problems. There is also a potential for damaging the computer and/or oxygen sensor if a multiwire universal sensor is connected incorrectly. The lack of standardization of wire colors increases the risk of an incorrect installation.

So, when it comes time to replace your import car's oxygen sensor, there's no question that you'll get the best fit and performance from the OE oxygen sensors built by Bosch."]

That may not mean much to everyone else but I mean if any of that did happen you would be happy you spent that extra twenty bucks on the good O2 sensors.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Project Ruby......

My front 2 O2 sensors are shot. I read somewhere on here that oxygensensors.com has a ORG discount code, is this true?
Old 10-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I still don't agree with you, simply cause you have no proof. I bought universal walkers, of them and saved me over $60 over the bosch plug and play. They work great, no problems with them at all. I know bosch is OEM but the thing is I just don't care. If you're the kind of person who doesn't know how to cut a wire and use butt connectors I understand. But don't come here with your BS and say all that when you have nothing to back it up. Walker seems to have much better quality than the BOSCH and the instructions it came with were great. Had diagrams for 2, 3, or 4 wire sensors and diagrams for many import companies and what color codes they used. They fit perfectly as well. Oh and since when do people care what some mechanic says? I swear that most of them know stuff in general but not many specifics and they allways want you to spend as much as possible. I only go to a mechanic to get an allignment or get stuff done under warranty/recall.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
I still don't agree with you, simply cause you have no proof. I bought universal walkers, of them and saved me over $60 over the bosch plug and play. They work great, no problems with them at all. I know bosch is OEM but the thing is I just don't care. If you're the kind of person who doesn't know how to cut a wire and use butt connectors I understand. But don't come here with your BS and say all that when you have nothing to back it up. Walker seems to have much better quality than the BOSCH and the instructions it came with were great. Had diagrams for 2, 3, or 4 wire sensors and diagrams for many import companies and what color codes they used. They fit perfectly as well. Oh and since when do people care what some mechanic says? I swear that most of them know stuff in general but not many specifics and they allways want you to spend as much as possible. I only go to a mechanic to get an allignment or get stuff done under warranty/recall.
I agree fully with you. If all you peeps who are spending the extra $60 for the Bosch, throw some money my way Fact is, they are all probably made in the same factory.

They work perfectly fine, I have the Walkers on my '97 and not a single problem. Been about 2 months I've had them on. Like I said in the previous post, the package came with antiseize, butt connectors, and heatshrink. Everything you need.

drew
Old 10-10-2004, 03:24 PM

Well first if your spending an extra $60 for a BOSCh sensor you shouldn't be buying parts for your car on your own car. And I never said that I had proof but I for one like my car and when I see problems that people could POTENTIALLY have then I am not going to get a universal. And as for am I the type of person who cant cut a wire come on now your obviously trying to make yourself feel good by saying how great you are to have cut and spliced some wires together all on your own. The mechanic happens to be my neighbor and they do specialize in Nissan so why not listen to his input I mean you come on here and ask for input and not all of the people here are mechanics just DIY type of people that know from experience.... Oh wait thats kinda like a mechanic so I dont know what your problem with that is. But oh well if people wanna buy universals buy them but obviously the $10-20 bucks is well spent on the OEM sensors
Old 10-12-2004, 12:47 AM

It seems to me that there is a belief that the "Universal" oxygen sensors are somehow different from the "OE" sensors. I propose that the difference is in the fact that the OE sensors include the appropriate plug for your make and model of car, but that the sensor itself is the same. If true, then the issue is in how reliable the butt splice connectors (or soldered connections) are.

For some people, the $12 to $18 difference (per sensor) in price is a lot, and for others the difference will not be worth the hassle and risk of a potential future problem.

Unfortunately, the information we have on the reliability of Bosch vs. Walker vs. Denso, and OE vs Universal, is nowhere near conclusive.