4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

shift knob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 11:04 AM
mackking

I've been pondering replacing the shift **** on my Max but for the life of me can figure how to get it off. I've seen in one or two places (describing how to put in the short shift kit) that it just unscrews. Well, either I'm a wimp, or they put it on with crazyglue cause mine won't budge.

Do I just need to put a little more elbow grease into it or are some models attached differently??

While I'm on the subject, how about replacing the "leather" pouch too?? I've been trying to figure out where the screws/whatever are around the center consol for getting it off but can't see any. Are they just really well hidden or is there some secret way to get the thing off.

TIA,

Mack

Old 09-27-2000, 11:42 AM
Banned

Answers

The glue for the **** is strong but you need to twist counter-clockwise as hard as you can until you hear a *SNAP*...That will be the glue letting go. If you don't need to **** then a BIG set of plyers will work to.

<A HREF=http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/shifter.html>Shifter</A>

The trim plate around the shift rod is easily removed. Put your fingers on the inside of each radius and pull up. There are clips that will snap out when you pull correctly.
Old 09-28-2000, 04:48 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

A strap wrench works well for the ****,

easy and doesn't destroy the **** (get @ home depot for $20)
the boot is attached to the plastic console surrounding the boot... pull up from the end (facing the back seat) and lift gently until the clips release...

in the bottom of the boot there is a wire square that is sewn inside the boot... this clips into the plastic piece surrounding the boot (on the bottom).

IF you go with a momo ****... momo makes a universal boot the screws into the **** and won't sag down like the stock boot...

Sorry, no pics of the boot, changed jobs and I don't have access to the digi cam anymore.

Good luck.