4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stupid question about short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 04:38 PM

Stupid question about short throw shifter

I am looking at getting the B&M short throw shifter from the group deal. I am looking to get faster in the 1/4 mile, I know this doesn't add hp or anything. But would the quicker shifts make any difference on my 1/4 mile time? Supid question I know but I am looking at getting this or a b pipe. I already have y pipe, mevi, intake, and muffler, looking at a high flow cat also. So any help on the STS would be great. Thanks in advance.

Mooney
Old 10-17-2004, 04:42 PM

i know my B&M reduced my traffic light to traffic light time
Old 10-17-2004, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by tomservo291
i know my B&M reduced my traffic light to traffic light time

I got owned? If you could explain how that would be great. I don't know about you but I don't time my traffic light to traffic light. To my suprise I get no help. This is one of the reasons I stopped coming to this site for awhile. I guess people just don't care about helping other guys but care more about trying to make fun of people.

Mooney
Old 10-17-2004, 08:06 PM

no i didnt say you got owned, i was just being a dumbass to myself ... sorry, I don't race at a track so I couldnt give you the information you really need.

however, I would assume that with a 40% throw reduction that you could shift faster, while you're at it if you get some good mobil/redline/amsoil synthetic gear lube and get it done up right you will have a very nice rock solid shifter.

if you go with the courtesy option it is adjustable, but if you're going to be racing it and slamming it around (this is just my opinion, I havent read of anyone breaking the courtesy/pacesetter yet) that there are more things to break.

this is the internet, not life, don't take it so seriously. not everything every person types is a direct threat at your life. laugh sometime alright?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The courtesy is no longer adjustable (I'll take your word for it that it was), it is now essentially a B&M for a bit less money.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:22 PM

Look up Dave B's posts on this. I believe he drag races his Max, and he has had both the Pacesetter and the B&M, and discarded both in favor of a modestly cut down stock shifter.

Since the search doesn't work unless you have paid money, I will see if I can find the appropriate threads and post the links here.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:27 PM

yes, it will improve your 1/4 mile times with faster shifting.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:44 PM

short throw shifter

B&M Short Shifter Installed

B&M shifter, install question, and shop question

Installed B&M shifter, not happy
Old 10-18-2004, 12:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My maxima had a short throw shifter on it when I bought the car. I kept it for about a month before I put on the stock shifter.

The throws are longer, but a lot less stiff and less notchy on the stock shifter. Since the throws are longer, it is also harder to miss a shift by accidentally going to the wrong gear.

I find it much easier to drive aggressively on the STOCK shifter.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:05 AM

*****es
Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM

Thanks haysdb for the threads.
tomservo291: I didn't get pissed off, I just hate it when poeple fill up threads with comments like the one you gave. But I didn't take it seriously, if you know me then you know I'm real calm and don't really get mad at anything.

After all the reading I am still unsure about getting it. I have read more good comments than bad but for $130 what do I got to lose? I'll think about it some more and hopefully come to a conclusion before it ends. Thanks for all the comments.

Mooney
Old 10-18-2004, 03:38 PM

I only read a few posts in "Installed B&M shifter, not happy," but it looks like dave really didn't give the shifter time break in. Mine has loosend up significantly since I put it in. It is definitely stiffer than stock, but still very manageable.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:21 PM

I am installing a B&M shifter tonight and have already posted some comments about it's design in the group buy thread/forum.

I do not see how it COULD "loosen up", but I could certainly "change my tune" once it's installed. No matter what, I am determined to give it a fair trial period, even if I do not like it initially.

I am impressed with the design. It's a high quality piece without a doubt. If any corners were cut, I don't see them. My only beef is PROBABLY going to be with the lack of bend, causing the shift pattern to be moved forward, but I should not prejudice myself before I even try it.

David
Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM

I am not certain how it loosens up either, but it definitely does. I wonder if maybe the plastic spacers/washers get crushed to depending on how they are positioned...that is they form themselves around the metal.

The stiff feeling that goes away is a sort of binding. It feels like the shifter is the problem. Once it goes away you feel the transmission more and have to push (or pull) harder than stock, but it feels good IMO.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Don't expect any faster of a car with a STS. Either you shift fast or you don't.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:52 PM
brotherhood of tq

yea im with mike on this one..
Old 10-18-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Don't expect any faster of a car with a STS. Either you shift fast or you don't.

It seems like I get slower and slower at shifting everday. Is there any way to faster shifting other than practicing? What are your techniques on shifting, if you have any? I didn't expect any faster of a car, but the guy who owned my car before, he cut off the stock shifter real low and I'm starting to not like it.

Originally Posted by terran
I only read a few posts in "Installed B&M shifter, not happy," but it looks like dave really didn't give the shifter time break in. Mine has loosend up significantly since I put it in. It is definitely stiffer than stock, but still very manageable.
How long did it to loosen up?

Mooney
Old 10-18-2004, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by haysdb
I am installing a B&M shifter tonight and have already posted some comments about it's design in the group buy thread/forum.

I do not see how it COULD "loosen up", but I could certainly "change my tune" once it's installed. No matter what, I am determined to give it a fair trial period, even if I do not like it initially.

I am impressed with the design. It's a high quality piece without a doubt. If any corners were cut, I don't see them. My only beef is PROBABLY going to be with the lack of bend, causing the shift pattern to be moved forward, but I should not prejudice myself before I even try it.

David
It definitely loosens up. It is going to be very stiff initially, and depending on how much you drive it's gonna take 1-2 weeks to be smooth. I drive between 20-40mi/day average I would say, and took me about a week to have mine loosened up.

Everyone worries right away when they install it and it's really hard to move. They all seem to run here and post "What's wrong with my B&M, what did I messup?!" Including me, little did I know I just had to be patient
Old 10-18-2004, 10:38 PM

The B&M is installed. As promised, I will give it at least a week before passing final judgement, but here are some preliminary opinions:

The shifter is a good 2" too far forward for me (6'4") but seems to be fine for my son, who is 6'0".

The shift **** seems low.

I think I'm in 3rd gear (because of how far forward the **** is), so I try to pull back to 4th, only to discover I am in 2nd. Momentary confusion is the result.

The B&M is a very high quality piece, with a precise feel to it. "Bolt action" is a good description.

I am picking up 5 qts of Amsoil TGR gear oil tomorrow, in order to give the shifter every chance, before deciding to change back to the stock shifter.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:45 PM

It took me a day of driving to get used to shifting with it. I'm 6'3 and it feels comfortable to me. I drive in the "gangsta" slouch position, I don't know about you. Seems to be the only comfortable way I can ever sit in a car.

I wouldn't part ways with it for the life of me now.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:42 AM

All STSs suck donkey dick...Stillen rules all.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:05 AM

You said "All", which would include the Stillen, so I am unclear as to what you mean.

It may be that I would like the Stillen STS, but it's just too expensive. I am unwilling to spend that much (over $200) on a shifter.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:18 AM

yeah i need to edit my last post...

Stillen is one of the only STS to reduce the throw when compared to the stock shifter to 60%. You can really feel the difference when you install this for the first time. It's an amazing shifter. All I can say is it's worth the extra money for this shifter.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:53 AM

You're still not convincing me.

ANYONE could feel the difference with ANY of the short shifters, vs. the stock shifter.

If the Stillen decreases the throw by even more than the B&M, then it's definitely off my list, as the throw on the B&M is already VERY short. Arguably TOO short.

So, please elaborate on WHY the Stillen is "worth" the extra money.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i was skeptical for a long time of the sts having heard some negative posts on the org. a while back i found myself in a situation where i had to replace the shifter and some other parts on the max.

im now running an exedy stage 1 clutch, courtesy nissan sts, and Redline MT-90 Manual Transmission fluid. the combo is AWESOME ! the whole feel of the car is just what i was looking for.

The shifter is great ! Finding the gears is just as easy as stock. I just about broke my right hand and had to drive around shifting with my left hand and still never missed a gear. the shifts are fast and tight and the clutch just grabs and the car fantastic !

now to the big question about 1/4 ? with the right setup the driving experience will be lots better but i dont see it making you any faster in the 1/4 mile.

my thoughts on the sts (courtesy nissan STS) is do it ! its a great mod !

c