4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tiny ants entering car through gaps/rubber seals in doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 04:58 AM

Tiny ants entering car through gaps/rubber seals in doors

Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong forum...

Ever since the hurricane season started for some reason I have been finding the very tiny ants crawling around the rubber seals n the rear doors.. They are so tiny that i sometimes find them on my floormate and i have to try to grab them with a papertowel.. I know the 1st thing that would come to ya'lls minds is that there must be some kinda food or something in my car attracting them. This is not the case because I keep my car cleaned religiously and make sure no one ever has food or eats in my car. I'm just getting desperated and tired of having to deal with them and was wondering if anyone else on the org has ever had an issue like this.. I tried spraying ant spray around the area of the rubber seals at the bottom of both rear doors and they still keep coming back.... .. I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or has any input on this subject.. All help is appreciated.. Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Hey There Mr. Paperboy...

check to see where you are parking and when it happens...if its at your house in the mornin or whereever...check for ant beds...uve prob already done this though...
Old 10-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

ok, to be honest, i dont believe u checked enough, and its very hard to enforce ppl not eating in ure car, something as small as a piece of gum can give u ants...i had a problem similar to this around when i first bought my car....the ants helped me find tons of shyt underneath the carpet, not a lot, but there was lip gloss under the carpeting and a few other things.....i pulled my carpet up, removed the seats, and cleaned it thoroughly, something HAS to be in ure car, ants arent attracted to fiberglass and steel and what not....i hate to break it to u, but someone ate in ure car probably and u didnt know it...good luck...
Old 10-22-2004, 09:03 AM

Take one of those small disc shaped plastic ant baits/traps (for the home) and put one under each of the front seats on the floor. This will take care of your problem in a few days with no mess. I live very close to you and have had the same problem. People just dont understand how bad the bugs are around here.

Gears
Old 10-22-2004, 09:07 AM

mybe there thinking about buying a max and just want a test drive before the actual purchase?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

NEVERMIND...
Old 10-22-2004, 12:07 PM

Well thanks for the reply i guess thats its my other option.. I know for sure there is nothing in my car thats attracting them unless like the guy above you said that something is "under" the carpet.. My car was tolen an the interior was stripped to the bonde.. door paneld, seats, and carpet, so maybe he is right about something underneath the carpet... Everthing is new inside but maybe some ahole from the bodyshop left something but This problem just started... But like you said you live very close to me an people don't realize how big of a pain bugs/insects are in the South especially New Orleans... Well thanks for all the opinions and i guess my only option is to try one of those ant traps to catch them.. Thanks and I try to update if it helps...
Old 10-22-2004, 02:09 PM

Your welcome. Just put some traps under the seat and you won't even know that they're there. Problem solved.

P.S. If you think the bugs are bad wait till you have problems with squirrels. And I don't mean the ones Buddy D talks about...

Gears over and out.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:40 PM

raid & a lighter(the long fancy ones work the best), when you find their home in your yard i'd switch over to gasoline & lighter(a small funnel works well too).

as far as in your car, dont know. the little ant traps never did a damn thing for me in my apartment.

good luck
Old 10-22-2004, 10:05 PM

I don't see how the ant traps would work, wouldn't that just mean instead of a bunch of ants roaming around in ur car, u would just have a line of ants crawling into ur car and into the ant trap. because from what i've understood an ant trap just attracts ants and lures them to their doom
Old 10-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I came back from amsterdam and found my max infested with ants after a 3 week sit. I didnt want to do it, but it was so bad that I covered my seats and dash, and fogged it. You can(or could) buy fog cans for a single room. If you cover dash and seats, there wont be a film everywhere. Leaves you with a little clean up but it only took a day to air it out.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:19 AM

i had ants im 99 maxima near shifter maybe 50+ the answer is to kill every one and you wont see them anymore, took about 2 weeks, keep a slipper hany
Old 10-24-2004, 02:12 AM

yeah thats what ive been doing them as i see them.. ive been squashing them with a paper towerl as i see them, an i have noticed a slight decrease in the amount of the ant.. I wouldnt call it an ifeststation, but they come here and there... I think another think that helped is that I sprayed the bottom of all the door where the rubber seals are with and spray and it has seemed to wrok quite a bit.. And today I killed a bigger and that was crawling on my tunk which seemed to look like the queen so hopefully it helps. Im glad that others have had similar experiences. Thanks to all org members who helped out.. peace
Old 10-24-2004, 09:52 AM

be glad that u guys only have ants. When I used to park on the street overnight, my car was a total spider magnet. Every damn day I'd find webs across my dash and across my window, like some sorta spider had a leaky **** and dragged it along everywhere it went. The worst part was that more than once, those nasty fuggers dropped down from the driver's sunshade area and right into my face while I was driving. Almost killed myself trying to get rid of em
Old 10-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Viscous
The worst part was that more than once, those nasty fuggers dropped down from the driver's sunshade area and right into my face while I was driving. Almost killed myself trying to get rid of em

so true - I was driving along the interstate two nights ago at the "speed limit" heh heh and out of nowhere this damn insect pops our and starts buzzing around in front of me... startled the living daylights out of me and my max.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:34 AM

dude i had a fat black spyder crawl out of the rear driver side seatbelts....
Old 10-24-2004, 06:28 PM

what really scared the crap out of me was at a stop light with my windows down and a bee flew in. luckly for me i opened the door and it flew out before the light turned green.

about the ant problems.. have you tried checking near the wheel well is in the trunk? perhaps they are living there and got lost getting there. if there was a line of ants.. you can take some time and follow them and see where they are going.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Viscous
be glad that u guys only have ants. When I used to park on the street overnight, my car was a total spider magnet. Every damn day I'd find webs across my dash and across my window, like some sorta spider had a leaky **** and dragged it along everywhere it went. The worst part was that more than once, those nasty fuggers dropped down from the driver's sunshade area and right into my face while I was driving. Almost killed myself trying to get rid of em

my gf would never drive or ride in the car ever again if that happened
Old 10-25-2004, 07:53 PM

I had ant problems 2 summers ago - it was pretty bad. I finally noticed that they were going after the dead bugs on the front of my car/radiator. I sprayed all the bugs off that I could and left some ant traps under the hood for a couple of days near their trails and they all went away. Good luck, I know how annoying it is to be driving down the road and have ants coming out of the dash!