4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Let brother have the Max or Fight for it & keep it
Give him the satisfaction
22.00%
Fight for the Max
78.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Give older, negligent brother the Max back or Keep the Max

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 09:40 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Give older, negligent brother the Max back or Keep the Max

Just recently my brother left me a message saying that he wants the Max back and plans to sell it b/c his job isn't doing too well. Since then, I have been furious w/ him and will refuse to give the Max back to him, esp. since I've spent nearly $1,000 in repairs & maintenace alone this summer. Not to mention the time cleaining the Max inside & out, as well as the engine bay (when I finally recieved the Max in March, it was completly trashed inside & out, it was almost unrecognizable). Currently we're 1 car down in my family. My oldest sister has borrowed my Mom's '95 Chevy Blazer until she gets a car, another BMW 330Ci. My mom is currently driving the Max, while I still have my '04 Grand Cherokee and am driving that. I have 2 cars, yes, but the Jeep I'm paying for out of my own pocket, the Max is mine but is a handdown. In addition to spending $1,000 on the Max, there is more work repair-wise to be done to it. I got quoted $580 to replace both foglights (you can thank my brother for that, lucky I have NOT replaced them yet), all 4 tires need to be replaced, and now the following has occured/is occuring since my brother's "threat"

- timing chain tensioner likely needs to be replaced (knocks like hell when idling and when you press the gas, 93 has always been used by me, but my brother is cheap and negligent so he uses 89)
- there's some weird noise when you make a turn (doesn't matter what direction you turn)
- the brakes make noise when you stop (my brother claims he had the front pads & rotors changed)
- the trunk latch prob. needs to be replaced (trunk still pops open on its own occasionally)
- the left driver's mirror needs to be replaced (there's a sizable hole that looks like either a huge rock hit the housing or the housing was shot at)
- both front & rear bumpers need to be repainted (driver's side, mid-lower front bumper, looks like someone keyed the hell out of it or it was hit badly somewhere)
- knock sensor needs replacement (age/mileage factors, along w/ use of 89 by my brother, so I'm not surprised)

Other than that, I don't know whether to keep the Max & continue to fix it (if he actually has somewhat of a brain to let me keep it for good) or let him have it as is .. I really had plans to bring this car back in top form and even mod it, but at this point, only time will tell what happens
Old 10-22-2004, 09:44 PM

man, fight him on this one like it was your only child. he doesn't deserve to even be near a Maxima. tell him the bus is cheaper.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:14 PM
VIP Maxima

a max needs a good home , looks like its in good hands, try to keep it

Old 10-22-2004, 10:28 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Tell him to bugger off; you took care of it, it's yours.

~THT
Old 10-23-2004, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I remember when you got the maxima from him, it was all torn up! You shouldn't even let him see the car again.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:20 AM

Just think of it like this. He wants your car to get money off of. That makes no since at all. Tell him if he really wants the car he can buy it from you at a price you choose. It WAS his car before but it isnt anymore. He's trying to get free money in my opinion. And its easier to try to get at his younger brother than to work for a different car. Oh, and 89 octane gas isnt a bad thing to use. Now if you wouldve said 87 then there would've been problems.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:24 AM

Buy him a pair of running shoes and slap a Nissan sticker on 'em! Make sure you get him the ones that light up when you step and tell him you put Silvania bulbs in there just for him since he's your brother.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:32 AM
will fly for food

after what he did to the maxima last time? hell no. keep it.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:39 AM

woop his ****!!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Banned

Tell him if he gives you the grand in repairs and another 2500 for your time taking car of the car, he can have it. Sounds like it will need at least another G in repairs and tires, so he'll go away after you propose that. If he doesn't have the money to cough up, which sounds like the case, he'll leave you alone.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:36 PM

I smell Small Clains Court on TV episode
Old 10-23-2004, 02:24 PM

If someone gives you something it is then yours, they cannot take it back, if he were to ask if you could give it back is a different story but to demand it back isnt right, its as if he gave you the car to use until he needed it back.

I dont know, you could tell him he wont get much since there is a lot of repairs to be made and it wouldnt bring in the amount of money it should due to lack of matinance.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:31 PM

here's what needs to be done on the outside

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...62_45_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...62_43_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...62_41_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...62_42_full.jpg

Pic #1 shows the hole in the driver's mirror

Pics #2 & #3 show the front bumper badly scuffed, #3 is near the driver's foglight, which itself shows a small crack

Pic #4 shows paint peeling by the passenger foglight, foglight appears to have been tampered w/ c/o my brother
Old 10-23-2004, 05:14 PM

whose name is the title under? if its your name then show him no love. if its his then he might have you stuck.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:41 PM

the title is in his name
Old 10-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Blackwind
whose name is the title under? if its your name then show him no love. if its his then he might have you stuck.
That's my question. Whoever has the title, can do whatever they want (pending no clear cut written contracts). However, if the max is in your name, and you feel obligated to help...the only answer is keep it.

The only way to teach someone something, is by actually showing the consequence. A friend of mine, had a brother, who due to breaking his own car, kept breaking other peoples car when he borrowed them. Sad sad sad. This dummy had no means to pay for his car repair, let alone others borrowed cars, but still insisted on being an idiot..and racing the cars he borrowed...and breaking them. Then guess who got stuck with the bill?

Edit: Since the title is in his name, either get a lawyer (and probably lose), or learn a lesson (don't spend money on something that isn't yours). Eh em, yes a cash offer would be an option.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:50 PM

Then legally you're f-ed. Try to reason with him, or even offer him some money for it. Do you need both cars?

On a side note you should be able to get both fogs for much less than $580. I thought Jrnissan had a whole kit (like to add foglights to a car without them) for less than that. I also regularly see used ones for less than $200 in the classifieds section. You could also check out car-part.com.

Good luck. Hopefully it all works out.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:59 PM

Yeah you defenitly are going to have to reason with him, cause technically he could accuse you of stealing the car. Also what model Grand Cherokee you driving, Lareado, Limited? 4.0L 4.7L or 4.7L H.O.?
Old 10-23-2004, 09:05 PM

dude, ur bro needs money, you should be considerate too.
I say give it back to him just make him Reimburse you the 1k for the repairs you did
Old 10-23-2004, 10:49 PM

Yeah, just have him buy it back from you for $x,000 amount that you put into the car for repairs. It's not right that he will be making extra money off of the car because you put your money in it. Give it back to him but make him pay the $1K.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:02 AM

Its family dude. That doesnt mean that either person can take advantage of the other, but it does mean that you should be considerate......since you already have a car give him the max back, once he sells it have him pay you back for the money you put into it.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by notsofun
Yeah you defenitly are going to have to reason with him, cause technically he could accuse you of stealing the car. Also what model Grand Cherokee you driving, Lareado, Limited? 4.0L 4.7L or 4.7L H.O.?
In addition to the Max, I have the Special Edition. It looks like a Limited but its 1 step above the Laredo. I have the 4.0L
Old 10-24-2004, 09:16 AM

its like an abuser abusing a small child would the courts let the abuser have the child back hell no keep the max were its loved and taken care of he'll just run it in the ground
Old 10-24-2004, 09:35 AM

In addition to the Max, I have the Special Edition. It looks like a Limited but its 1 step above the Laredo. I have the 4.0L
Yeah good stuff, you familiar with all the Grand Cherokee forums?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:40 AM

If the car is yours, if he transferred it to you then its yours. One of few options.

1) Give him the car and have him reimburse you for the time and work in the car.

2) Pay him the difference and keep the max.

3) Tell him to have a coke and a smile and STFU. :P

Proph
Old 10-24-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by notsofun
Yeah good stuff, you familiar with all the Grand Cherokee forums?
not quite .. I leased my GC last Dec. before xmas, and having the Max as well is nice since it helps keep the miles down on the GC, another reason why I still want to keep the Max
Old 10-24-2004, 04:48 PM

www.jeepsunlimited.com, www.nagca.com, www.mallcrawlin.com Jeeps unlimited is more for street jeeps, NAGA is more for offroaders, and mallcrawlin is kind of a mix between the too, but since you leased you can't do too many mods and stuff.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:09 PM

If I were you just ask him for the money that you spent on it...if he doesn't want to reason with you then f*ck the maxima up (temporarily) before he tries to sell it.

e.g. unpug MAF sensor...
Old 10-24-2004, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Taken2DaMax
f*ck the maxima up (temporarily) before he tries to sell it.

e.g. unpug MAF sensor...
lol nice one
Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Terran
Then legally you're f-ed. Try to reason with him, or even offer him some money for it. Do you need both cars?

On a side note you should be able to get both fogs for much less than $580. I thought Jrnissan had a whole kit (like to add foglights to a car without them) for less than that. I also regularly see used ones for less than $200 in the classifieds section. You could also check out car-part.com.

Good luck. Hopefully it all works out.
Terran -

I do need both cars, esp. since the GC is leased and having the Max helps keep the miles down on it. Also its a nice balance b/w driving the Max and an SUV, so I have the best of both. I take care of both cars very well, esp. w/ how much was spent on the Max. About the foglights, I did look at Jerry Rome Nissan's site for those, and I'm considering on getting the kit. I just need to know where I stand w/ the Max before I can do anything else w/ it.

To everyone else, thanks for the suggestions. I will def. keep you posted on what happens.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:22 PM

I was actually going to suggest you sell the jeep and give your brother some money and keep the max, but since it's a lease I guess that won't work. I hope everything works out...sounds like you're the more deserving max owner.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Terran
sounds like you're the more deserving max owner.
thankx .. funny you mentioned that, the other day I took the Max for the 100pt. inspection, the service advisor and the mechanic who did the inspection said that I "brought the car back to life!" The items I mentioned earlier in this thread still need a 2nd opinion tho. and at first I thought I'd be over my head in more surprises, but thankfully after the summer everything is OK (except for the foglights), but if I still have the Max (which I think will likely happen after I tell my brother off if he makes more threats), looks like it can easily go at least to 175K under my care.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:26 PM

You gotta help family. Even if they don't always deserve it. Personally, I'd give it back minus the money spent on repairs.

You can get another Maxima if you want to mod (yeah, I know, it would cost you more than the $1000 you'll be getting from your bro.) Sounds like this one would be major money just to make it "clean" anyhow. Bodywork and paint can cost a lot, too.

Yeah, it sucks. But it's family.

Just my opinion, but I am known for having more of a conscience than I'd like sometimes...

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

Originally Posted by Taken2DaMax
If I were you just ask him for the money that you spent on it...if he doesn't want to reason with you then f*ck the maxima up (temporarily) before he tries to sell it.

e.g. unpug MAF sensor...
lmao
Old 10-30-2004, 09:45 AM

On disconnecting the MAF sensor, tempting. Here's the thing ... he hardly keeps in touch w/ me, and I call him, but doesn't return my calls. The only time he'll ever call is when he needs something from either me, my mom, or anyone else im my family. 2nd, he recently traded his '01.5 Passat 1.8T (also a victim of neglect, which fell apart pretty quickly) for an '04 BMW X3 SUV, and now he wants his '98 Max w/ over 112K on it back? Too bad for him b/c he is NOT getting the Max back and I'll fight him on it. I gave the Max new life, and as someone mentioned, he isn't even worthy of a Maxima. Tell me this isn't him being selfish.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:39 PM

Hi Will

Sounds like your brother is taking advantage of the family relationship.

The car is legally his, so have him pay you back for the repairs you did due to his negligence and poor upkeep. Then give him back the car which IMO is fair. Until you resolve it, don't put in another dime because it will probably only get uglier (both the car in his hands and dealing with the issue).

The Max is a great car, used 4th gen prices are dropping in price too due to age and mileage. If you end up giving this car back to your brother, you can always get another Max to call your own.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
nycmaximas member

Does he already have a X3 BMW??? So the Max he wants just for cash??? Screw it if thats the case... fight tooth and nail until he gives in but for now dont do anything else for the car (MOD wise) If he doesnt give in than the next best thing is split the money for selling the max...
Old 10-31-2004, 10:59 PM

just give him back the car, forget the repair $ u put iin there, he is not stranger after all... my bro gave me 3k$ without questions once and told me not to return it to him... also did 800$ worth of damage on his new acura... he never took a cent from me... a car is a car, if ur bro is in financial need give him the piece of metal.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wht98SE
not quite .. I leased my GC last Dec. before xmas, and having the Max as well is nice since it helps keep the miles down on the GC, another reason why I still want to keep the Max
If the car isn't in your name, give it back or he can throw you in the slammer. The question I have is why either of the sons aren't putting their mom in the nicest car in the family? Also, it sounds like you are putting alot of miles on the Grand Cherokee... Depending on what your balloon is going to be you may want to get rid of it before the lease expires. If you trade it in, say 6 months before the end of the lease, you can. It is considered a trade-in not a lease return. But if you have like a $20,000 balloon, ouch. You need to keep the miles off of it or trade it soon so you don't have to pay the overage on the miles in the future... Those can add up. A colleague of mine went to turn in her Accord (which holds its value) and had so many miles on it that she had like $3000 in penalties to pay...
Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 PM

BORQUA79: He leased his X3 late spring. As for the Max, I'm putting anything major on hold at this time (except for an oil change), until I know where I stand.

ThunderMaxi: I have almost 15K in miles on the GC since I leased it late Dec. '03. So far the Jeep is nice, but I'm starting to have problems brake and audio-wise. Brakes feel like they have 2-3 times as much on them and have a "weak" feel. I don't speed in the GC so this is something I will take up on w/ the dealer. The GC is as well-taken care of as the Max is. Audio-wise I have the Infinity Gold system and the sound gets distorted at times, esp. around buildings, so I'm guessing the amp. is acting up. My lease is a 39 mo./15K miles/year. As w/ the Max, I've had 1 recall on the GC and it was for reprogramming the ECU, and since my max was an early '98 it fell victim to the alternator recall. I like both the Max & GC, but w/ the GC, I've leased it for almost a year and I'm starting to have problems. I'm hoping the Lemon Law covers problems on leases (god forbid it comes to that on the GC). You also brought up over-mileage. I ran into this problem when I turned in my '98 Altima GLE late '01. I had near 69K in miles, but at that time I had no other spare car, so that was a big mess there, esp. at lease-end. If I knew better, I would've bought it out, but then again it was more of a 3-season car (spring, summer & fall) b/c it was terrible in the winter and it was a FWD car.

I will still keep everyone updated on the fate of the Max, and ThunderMaxi i'll keep you posted on what happens w/ the GC as well

Quick Reply: Give older, negligent brother the Max back or Keep the Max