4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can't find an answer in the stickies to this fog light question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 07:59 AM

Can't find an answer in the stickies to this fog light question.

Hi all,
I spent quite a bit of time looking, but I can't find an answer in the stickies to this fog light question. If I have missed it please feel free to give me a flying kick guys, otherwise thanks
I have a 97 GLE with no factory fog lights, so I am trying to wire some after market ones up. So all the fog light *rewire* threads don't cover this. From what I read from the threads, the factory fog light wiring is controlled by the headlamps. I will describe what I see in my car so far:
* I looked under the hood and I see factory fog light connectors behind the front bumper. One on each side.
* I opened up the relay box, I see the 'Fr Fog Lamp' slot is empty, i.e. no relay. Thats the upper right corner slot. However I obtained a spare one, blue colour as soon in those rewire threads, and I plugged it in.
* I then cut one of the factory fog light connectors off and striped a little bit off the two wires carefully.
* Having this newly plugged in relay, I turned on the head light. And then I tested the now stripped fog light wires with a multimeter. But I see no power.
Question: What other steps do I need to do to complete the wiring to get power to the fog light wires??? I do not want to wire the fog lights up directly to the battery, I prefer to make use of the factory relay and wiring. Not to be greedy but If you have pictures that would be great!
Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

It wont be in the fog light rewire because that's for people who already have fog lights and want them independently controlled.

You need a light switch with the foglight on/off option from an SE, the wire stalk is already pre-wired, you just need to add a ground to the switch.

The foglights are controlled by the headlights in that they are always turned on, but the foglight on/off switch provides a ground source so that when activated the circiut is complete and the fog lights turn on.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the help. I went to the dealer and they want an arm and a leg for the switch plus they want to push to sell the whole "kit", swithc and factory fog and relay for $450!!! Sound like all I need is the SE switch from this point so where would you suggest I get one from???? And how much should I expect to pay??? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Sitting Duck
I went to the dealer and they want an arm and a leg for the switch plus Sound like all I need is the SE switch from this point so where would you suggest I get one from???? And how much should I expect to pay??? Thanks.
$49.05

Pinnacle Nissan
Old 10-26-2004, 09:00 AM
blah

You can get a switch at radio shack for like a dollar or two and call it a day.

All you have to do is make a ground wire. The SE's fog relay is connected to the driver side headlight and switch is grounded when on and neutral when off (as said previously). Because I screwed up during my alarm install I unfortunately found all of this out

Some how I messed up the control/lever switch on the steering column and lost my driver side headlight thus loosing the fog lights as well. In the end I was forced to buy a relay head light and do the fog light rewire.