4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best plugs? (Lets the flaming begin...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 07:27 PM

Best plugs? (Lets the flaming begin...)

Ok, my next project is to get some new plugs. Well, not really a project but I need them and I've always bought Bosch PLatiums. I was wondering if anybody had a better idea? What, in your opinion, is the best plug? I've heard good things about Iridium plugs. Are they worth the new-bumhole you get ripped buying them?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:36 PM

NGK coppers. or plats. Plats last twice as long, but cost more than twice as much.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSparkPlugs
Old 10-27-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by my99maxisnice
NGK coppers. or plats. Plats last twice as long, but cost more than twice as much.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSparkPlugs
That guy is a moron.....I outran the cops twice last week :P
Old 10-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think that the absolute best idea would be to read the stickies.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I think that the absolute best idea would be to read the stickies.
I've read the stickies many times over. I was just asking for opinions.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:49 PM

Many people here have had problems when running plugs other than NGK (can go platinums, or copper). Just something to be aware of.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:51 PM

It is a matter of opinion. Iridium plugs are only good if you are running nitrous or boost. I had them in for about 5000 miles and they fouled out real bad. N/A cars dont run hot enough for them. Platinum came standard but I think that my car runs best on the copper NGK Vpower.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by helaesus2
That guy is a moron.....I outran the cops twice last week :P
My favorite is when he says that the cop wrote him a letter of apology for pulling him over just because his IROC was so sweet.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4GenMaxMan
It is a matter of opinion. Iridium plugs are only good if you are running nitrous or boost. I had them in for about 5000 miles and they fouled out real bad. N/A cars dont run hot enough for them. Platinum came standard but I think that my car runs best on the copper NGK Vpower.
damn, i should have done my research. I just bought NGK iridium plugs two days ago for my car.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ngk Iridium no contest
expensive but worth it dont know how they work in our cars though
Old 10-27-2004, 09:32 PM

Ask the question thats been asked a million times before this month if you would just look back about 5 pages or donate and get search priviledges you wouldnt annoy everyone this way.

See your the worst, you wont read the stickies and you know your going to start trouble by not doing the respectable thing.

I guess thats why they dont ask me to be moderator because I would delete your thread and remove your posting priviledges for a week until you learned how to read.

Also if you think 60 bucks is alot for great quality plugs you should invest in a dodge and get you a cheap car with those 99cent plugs.

Im a mean Son of a ..... I know but hey.

Proph
Old 10-27-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy1
Ask the question thats been asked a million times before this month if you would just look back about 5 pages or donate and get search priviledges you wouldnt annoy everyone this way.

See your the worst, you wont read the stickies and you know your going to start trouble by not doing the respectable thing.

I guess thats why they dont ask me to be moderator because I would delete your thread and remove your posting priviledges for a week until you learned how to read.

Also if you think 60 bucks is alot for great quality plugs you should invest in a dodge and get you a cheap car with those 99cent plugs.

Im a mean Son of a ..... I know but hey.

Proph
<rant>
Damn man, let me repeat. I"VE READ THE ******* STICKIES. I"M ASKING FOR PEOPLE"S FSCKING PERSONAL OPINIONS. Not to be mean, but READ THE THREAD DUMBASS</rant> Also, had I the cash to donate right now I would, the search function would be great but seeing as I don't...... Also, from reading the stickies I know what the max's *should* run best with but that doesn't always translate into real-world application. Thats why you ask what people have had the best luck with. And I have the distinct feeling I just got trolled. Crap.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:23 PM
My Maxima thinks your Maxima is HOT!

Here's my experience since I faced a similar decision two weeks ago. First, went to the local PartSource (like a PepBoys) for pricing. The manager and also my mechanic friend gave me the two options: Bosch Plats AAA-CCC? and the NGK OEM PFR5G-11 Plats. There was a sale on for the Bosch plugs 6 = $18CDN and at wholesale price the 6 NGKs were $90CDN.

So I bought the Bosch's right? Wrong. Went home and read posts on the .org. Have I read the stickies before? Yes. Is it a good idea for any member to re-read them every once in a while? Yes. I also read old posts (w/o using poor man's search), cross-referenced this with off-site material about 60K service and other forums.

Found out that you can't go wrong with NGK OEM. Those plugs designed with our car's needs in mind. Also found out that guys can get away using the Bosch's. Some report no performance differences, others a slight decrease and more than a handful disasters.

You might be one of those guys and have luck with the Bosch's. For that you might be a smarter and $72CDN richer than I. Take that money, buys some beers and laugh at people like me who spent too much on their plugs. Hey - why not donate that money to the .org???

However, I respect the .org and the membership. If more that a few members before me have the ***** to say they tried a product, admitted to a mistake which didn't work and now his engine is shot, cost him $X,XXX to fix it - would I be the one so arrogant enough to make a post at his expense just to get attention? Why take the chance with your engine? Armed with information I decided not to take the chance, but your's might be different. My point is that I was able to help myself with the readily available information and so can you.

Respect the time and compiled expertise on the .org and other sites. Our car is 8 years old so it's not like your discussion on Bosch spark plugs is a revolutionary find that will rock the foundations of the Maxima community.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 AM

<rant>
Damn man, let me repeat. I"VE READ THE ******* STICKIES. I"M ASKING FOR PEOPLE"S FSCKING PERSONAL OPINIONS. Not to be mean, but READ THE THREAD DUMBASS</rant> Also, had I the cash to donate right now I would, the search function would be great but seeing as I don't...... Also, from reading the stickies I know what the max's *should* run best with but that doesn't always translate into real-world application. Thats why you ask what people have had the best luck with. And I have the distinct feeling I just got trolled. Crap.

bottom-line, i guess you dont understand much n00b. people are sick of tehse questions. THEY ARE BASED ON REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS, because coppers DO NOT COME STOCK ON THE CAR. platinums do, yet they function exactly the same way. people have tested them plenty. so instead of blowing your money on iridiums or platinums, and coming up wiht more excuses why you dont donate, take the money you save by buying coppers instead of wahtever you planned to buy and put it in a jar and donate when you rack up the cash.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:28 AM

<rant>

Dude dont come on here with that smack.. You want information use the poor mans search. You still not sure? Get off your lazy *** and read back thru 5 pages of forum posts you will find it.

USE The CTRL+F feature in IE and you will find the terms like "Spark Plugs"

We are tired of noobs like you, Whats worse is the ones that get pissed about us not reading your post "Uhh Im too lazy to read the stickies or forums"

Buy a civic and go ask questions about altezzas would ya.

Proph
Old 10-28-2004, 06:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Prophecy1
We are tired of noobs like you, Whats worse is the ones that get pissed about us not reading your post "Uhh Im too lazy to read the stickies or forums"

Buy a civic and go ask questions about altezzas would ya.

Proph
Old 10-30-2004, 10:16 AM

i bought the iridium's there okay not worth the money they were great at first but the power fades away go with coppers, vpowers are great