4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally back in a max, but with some problems....(long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Finally back in a max, but with some problems....(long)

Ok guys i dont' know if anyone remembers but about 8 months ago my max blew up (literally) at least the engine did when i threw a rod... So i parted that car out sold the shell, drove a mini van for 8 months (hey it was free) but now i'm back... Today i bought a 95 GXE 5-speed for a great price but i figured out why....

Well looks as if this bad boys been in an accident (owner didn't say anything about it of course) I noticed (late i might add) that the front passenger fender had a turning light on it where-as the drivers side didn't.... (what year max had a fenders with lights on their sides? I never noticed that on any max's i've seen?

Second and more importantly, the odometer is not working at all, the trip meter and the milage aren't moving (tried fiddling with the button)... Do you guys think that the odo stopping is a result of the crash it was quite obviously in? Do our max's do that? .... I'm asking cause i'm wondering if replacing the whole gauge cluster will fix the problem (i had planned on replacing it with an SE one anyway cause i like the white gauges)....

Aside from the aforementioned the car runs great, although i do notice some clutch smell when i get out (not terrible but noticeable)....

The guy said he replaced the engine recently when it blew (dunno if it really did or not) but i'm almost certain its not the original engine, he said the new one had about 60k miles on it (no way of knowing).... And that he had the clutch replaced with the engine...

I really don't mind the issues because for the price i think i got a pretty good deal ($3600) and worst case senario i know how to fix anything and everything that could be wrong with the car (cept the tranny i'm new to 5 speeds) When i heard the price i expected problems, and when i saw that it ran well it was good enough for me so i went ahead and bought it (i was anxious) oh well so ..... I think thats about the sum of the situation... so anyone have any input on the issue's i mentioned?

Most important though, its GREAT to be back!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Hooooooonda.....

The 95-96 have the corner light get brighter during turns. The trans on the 95-96 is crap and it will **** out on you sooner or later. I just noticed my car was also in an accident not sure if it was serious or not, as far as I can tell just the front got damaged and it was a LOOOONG time ago.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:07 PM

I'm not talkin about the cornering lights all the maxes have those (up till 2000) i mean an actually light on the fender itself closer to the passenger door, its a little rectangular light (which doesn't work i might add)....
Old 11-05-2004, 01:13 PM

Bumpidy bump bump
Old 11-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by TonyGotSkilz
I'm not talkin about the cornering lights all the maxes have those (up till 2000) i mean an actually light on the fender itself closer to the passenger door, its a little rectangular light (which doesn't work i might add)....
If its like a front side marker on the fender panel - it was added aftermarket - not included from the factory in any 4th Gen.