4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 spd doesn't go into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

5 spd doesn't go into gear.

My maxima won't go into gear(any) at all when the car is on. Also the clutch pedal is fully depressed(stuck to the floor). I tried popping the clutch pedal up by hand, but when I apply pressure to it it simply falls to the floor. Did it go out(clutch)? I hope not since i replaced it like 10k miles ago and only babied it. It wasn't showing any signs of slippage. I don't know if parking on an incline might have caused it. I put the parking brake plus leave it in 1st when i leave it parked. Any suggestions to whatis wrong?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 PM

what you did on an incline shouldnt have cause it, I'm not sure what the rules are when your breaking in a clutch if it includes not leaving it in gear on a hill, but I'm sure its fine.

seems like the slave cylinder is more the culprit, there was another thread where someon ehad the same problem, and it turn out to be the slave cylinder. Check to see if you have any clutch fluid, could help determine if there is a leak or not.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:20 PM

ok i'll check the fluid....but the weird thing is that it happened overnight...finished washing my car and then I parked her in place...Then today it just appeared.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 PM

very strange. . .
Old 11-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Banned

Your slave cylinder could be leaking slightly. If that is so, your fluid level gets down low enough so air then seeps into the line and the clutch pedal will go to the floor. Since you recently did your clutch, it's most likely just low fluid or a slave cylinder. I would bet money you have no fluid in your reservoir. If not, put brake fluid in there and bleed the line at the slave cylinder bleed valve as someone pumps the clutch, holding it down as you crack the bleeder valve open. Close it, let the pedal back up and do it again until the pedal feels right.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by daveyg68
Your slave cylinder could be leaking slightly. If that is so, your fluid level gets down low enough so air then seeps into the line and the clutch pedal will go to the floor. Since you recently did your clutch, it's most likely just low fluid or a slave cylinder. I would bet money you have no fluid in your reservoir. If not, put brake fluid in there and bleed the line at the slave cylinder bleed valve as someone pumps the clutch, holding it down as you crack the bleeder valve open. Close it, let the pedal back up and do it again until the pedal feels right.
Alright...I will try this tommorow. But its weird this just happened out of nowhere....Its been almost a year since i did my clutch though. Thanks for the help
Old 11-05-2004, 08:08 AM

I am the one that posted the problem about the slave cylinder.

However, it ended up only being some air in my lines.
You need to bleed your clutch.
Look on motervate.com for instructions.

You really need two people to do this. It is much easier that way.

Let us know what happens.

**after you bleed the lines.....keep an eye on the little resevoir to see if it is leaking down.**
Old 11-05-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by redrum85
Alright...I will try this tommorow. But its weird this just happened out of nowhere....Its been almost a year since i did my clutch though. Thanks for the help

It happened out of nowhere for me as well. There was no fluid in the reservoir, so I bled the clutch and the fluid hasnt dropped for a few weeks now...
Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 AM

This happened in my acura legend, turned out to be clutch master cylinder.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:02 AM

probaly the clutch master cylinder...also called a SLAVE CYLINDER.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by larryseibel
probaly the clutch master cylinder...also called a SLAVE CYLINDER.
No they're different . Clutch Master Cylinder is mounted on the firewall (this is the one with the resevoir on top). The Slave Cylinder is down on the transmission itself. Find the line that exits out the bottom of your CMC and follow it do the tranny. It ends on the Slave Cylinder.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bled my clutch when I had a very slight problem w/ the same issue, fixed it easily, and the motorvate instructions are great.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:19 PM

How many of you that have had problems with fluid leaking have had your transmission replaced by the dealership/garage? I'm thinking there is a correlation between these two, possibly from letting the slave cylinder hang from the car when the transmission is out.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:28 PM

Mine went without any warning either, and unfortunately it did it during a long trip, but thank goodness it was on the way home and I could drive it in 5th gear on the hwy until I got into the city. It was a long drive through the city thats for sure Mine just turned out that the fluid was well below minumum, almost not even there in the resevoir tank. I just filled it up per my mechanic and pumped the clutch pedal until I got pressure back. I found that after a couple days of pumping the clutch and driving the car, the pedal returned back to normal pressure and not go limp. But to be on the safe side, I bled the lines and check my tank every 2 weeks. It does down a smidge below the maximum, so I have an extremely small leak somewhere.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:52 PM

yup theres no fluid in the master cylinder....hopefully i just have to bleed it. I will do this tommorow morning....might as well clean my starter as long s the airbox is off. will tellyou the results tommorow.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:51 PM

Welcome to the exciting world of auto mechanics. Things fail when they fail. Sometimes there is a warning, sometimes no warning.

Anyway, fluid leaks...I'd check to see if yer slave cylinder's piston is leakin (is it wet?). Plus, you have to ask, why would there be air in the clutch system?? leaks.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Go Hokies!!

Had same problem - bleeding the clutch fixed it for a little while, then it was just about to happen again, and it turns out my slave cylinder was leaking.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by izzydig
Welcome to the exciting world of auto mechanics. Things fail when they fail. Sometimes there is a warning, sometimes no warning.

Anyway, fluid leaks...I'd check to see if yer slave cylinder's piston is leakin (is it wet?). Plus, you have to ask, why would there be air in the clutch system?? leaks.
sorry for being a super noob but where is the slave cylinder??? how much would a replacement cost?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:40 PM

sorry for being a super noob but where is the slave cylinder??? how much would a replacement cost?
Follow the line that runs out from the Master Cylinder (On the drivers side firewall, where you checked the fluid resevoir), it will lead you to the slave cylinder, which is located near the transmission. Its ok to ask questions, so long as they haven't been answered in the same thread