4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EGR system

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 12:45 PM

EGR system

A couple of months ago my MIL came on and I pulled code 0302...insufficient flow to the EGR valve. Actually the MIL came and went several times and finally went out and hasn't been back. But I know things can't be right and my car accelerates terribly. Not sure if it is associated but I'll start there knowing there is a possible problem.

When I was checking the EGR I felt the stem on the valve would not move. I also noticed warm air shooting out of a small pipe that seems to be disconnected and I have no idea where it connects to. It is located near the EGR valve and it pushes (versus vacuum) out warm air.

Actually I thought I had an exhaust leak because that's what is sounds like. I guess I found the source but it connects to something and I'm not sure what.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2004, 01:11 PM

I had that code amonth long. Its basically caused by a blockage in your egr system. Meaning mostly its dirty. When you said you felt the stem on your egr, what do you mean by that? Where you reving the engine at the time. Its only going to move when the engine is under load/ doing work. A good way to check if its bad is to remove it. You'll push the flap up and before letting go place a finger over the top part of it covering the hole. If the flap doesn't move then your egr is good. Egr's go out but not that very often. You really need to check your BPT valve its right next to the EGR valve. It look like a 2" UFO. Those things get clogged way before the EGR ever does. Also check the hoses connected to it and make sure you clean them out before putting everything back together. PCV is also part of the EGR so check that to.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Anyone got a part number for the BPT valve? Mine is shot.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 PM

How to troubleshoot EGR problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit to Dave SZ.

http://img52.photobucket.com/albums/v158/evilBIGD/EGR/
Old 11-08-2004, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by knight71
How to troubleshoot EGR problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit to Dave SZ.

http://img52.photobucket.com/albums/v158/evilBIGD/EGR/

Great link thanks!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by PRPmax
I had that code amonth long. Its basically caused by a blockage in your egr system. Meaning mostly its dirty. When you said you felt the stem on your egr, what do you mean by that? Where you reving the engine at the time. Its only going to move when the engine is under load/ doing work. A good way to check if its bad is to remove it. You'll push the flap up and before letting go place a finger over the top part of it covering the hole. If the flap doesn't move then your egr is good. Egr's go out but not that very often. You really need to check your BPT valve its right next to the EGR valve. It look like a 2" UFO. Those things get clogged way before the EGR ever does. Also check the hoses connected to it and make sure you clean them out before putting everything back together. PCV is also part of the EGR so check that to.
When I say "stem", I am referring to the flap you can push up and down. When I was testing it I was reving the engine and it would not budge. After looking at the diagram PRPMax provided a link to I can see the metal pipe should connect to the EGR valve via a small hose. I think that is the source of the EGR not working- there's no vacuum! Regardless with 150k on the odo it is likely the EGR valve or BPT valve is clogged or non-functional. Thank you for the great info!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:45 PM

I had the same issue as you a while ago..I replaced EGR solenoid valve and my prob went away...Btw, EGR valves hardly fail, so I bet u that's not the culprit...99% this code is related to a bad EGR solenoid valve.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Yay, I've been credited. Just remove the EGR valve, 2 or 3 bolts I believe, and Clear all the crap out.
Ben it's 14741-24F10.