4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

People with AGXs

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 06:00 AM

People with AGXs

I'm thinking about getting a set of AGXs with H&Rs, what can I expect from ride quality? Harsh, smooth? I live in Ottawa, Canada and we have some of the ugliest roads you ever seen, even with the AGXs setup on "smoothest", is it still a pretty hard ride?

I was also thinking about Illumina/tokico setup, would this be a better compromise for a stiff/smooth ride?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Jedi Knight

I'm actually running AGXs with H&Rs and I love the ride. Its not too low but low enough to improve the performance of the car and for others to notice when you cruise by them. They are not harsh, as that is determined by the springs...(H&Rs)...nice stock feeling ride...just lower
Old 11-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've heard AGX's can be pretty harsh and this is even more noticeable in the cold (which I expect you have a bit of ). I'm going to go with illumina's...they're not that much more and everyone who has had both seems to say the illumina's are less harsh.

I'm running a GD for $408 shipped. It will be a couple of weeks before the vendor has them, but it is an excellent price. AGX's are like $380 or something on ebay right?
Old 11-12-2004, 07:07 AM

Well I found a few going for around 350$ + 50$ shipping to Canada. Illuminas for 408$ shipped huh? That sounds pretty good. I assume it would be more to ship to Canada, how much for shipping to J9H2S7 in Ottawa.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:19 AM

Here's a quote from another Canadian who was in on the last GD. I guess the taxes are pretty hefty. Will you still have to pay them if you order off ebay?

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Hey wcasskicker, I too live in Vancouver I jumped on the last 4th gen set thanks to Brad at performancepeddler and Krmaxima, the extra shipping cost was only $9 US over and above the $408, they ended up loosing my info as I had phoned it in because their web page order system isn't really set up for Postal codes versus zip codes etc. Anyway they contacted me through Krmaxima again and I called their 800 number so they shipped mine for the straight $408 for the hassel. Took about a week to ship to my door, had to pay COD for the taxes and duty $130 Can, but still approx $250 cheaper than we can get up here! Hope that helps. got a spring compressor? Plan on doing mine myself
Old 11-12-2004, 07:23 AM

I agree with nupe500 because I also have AGX's and H&R's and love it compared to stock.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:30 AM
I need a truck

I have the H&R/AGX combo. I've had the combo for almost 1 1/2 years. It's a nice ride, but the ride does get harsh in the winter when it gets cold.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
I have the H&R/AGX combo. I've had the combo for almost 1 1/2 years. It's a nice ride, but the ride does get harsh in the winter when it gets cold.

That's what I'm affraid of. We get some pretty nasty winters up here. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the Illumina/Tokico setup.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:38 AM

I'm on AGX's in the front and Illuminas on the rear. It's a mcuh better setup than AGX's all around. The rears were hard as a bastard no matter what setting they were on. I will be replacing the fronts with Illuminas next Spring.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
I'm on AGX's in the front and Illuminas on the rear. It's a mcuh better setup than AGX's all around. The rears were hard as a bastard no matter what setting they were on. I will be replacing the fronts with Illuminas next Spring.
What springs you runnin with?
Old 11-12-2004, 07:48 AM

The agxs are beginning to get rough in these cold maryland nights. But in the war weather they were fine and i had them set on 3/4. But then again im on Sprints.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:52 AM

As far as a smooth ride, you have made a very good spring choice...from everything I've heard they are very close to stock in comfort but with improved handling.

I've decided to go with H-techs (mostly because I got a good used set) which are supposed to be slightly less comfort and slightly more performance than H&R's but very close.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I use to run AGXs rears with my Koni fronts and H&R springs. I had that setup for over a year and like others said, the AGXs are harsh. The problem with the AGXs is that when you increase dampening, you also increase rebound, therefore it's impossible to tune the ride for a good street ride. In the winter even on setting 1 the ride is very stiff. I bit the bullet and invested in Koni rears and couldn't be happier. The ride difference is pretty drastic. The Koni's are only adjustable for rebound which is ideal for a street-based car. I can fine tune my ride for the conditions. Right now I'm running 70% rebound in the front and 60% in the rear and it's perfect even on my 17s, torn up and bumpy Kansas City roads, and in the 30-40 degree weather.

The other advantage of the Koni rears is that the rear perch has two settings. The first setting is the normal factory perch height and the next setting is approximately .5" higher so that you can compensate for weight in the rear or towing. Earlier this week I raised the perch to the highest setting in an effort to give my wife and new born the best ride possible in the back seat. I gained .5" in wheel gap with the rear gaps being 2 1/8" unloaded, 1.75" with me in the car, and 1.4" with my wife and son in the back. Having the additional wheel gap sucks, but my car gained .5" in wheel travel which dramatically improved the ride quality. I'm amazed at the ride difference. The .5" increase in rear gap is worth it to me.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:55 AM

If I had a chance to do it again, I would go with the Illuminas over the AGX's. The AGX's can get harsh.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:51 PM

Dave, you're saying you changed the perch to gain more suspension travel correct? Do you have mzmtg's motivational style mounts? They would give you that travel without the wheel gap if you don't already have them.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:56 PM

Dave, congratulations on your new baby .
Old 11-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Terran
Dave, you're saying you changed the perch to gain more suspension travel correct? Do you have mzmtg's motivational style mounts? They would give you that travel without the wheel gap if you don't already have them.
I've already have the ME strut mounts. The additional travel helps keep the struts to operate in their ideal range. That extra .5" really does wonders when soaking up small bumps and road inperfections, especially in cold weather.

Dave, congratulations on your new baby
Thanks. It's a blast.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kehops
What springs you runnin with?
H&R......................
Old 11-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Longboarderphil

ive got AGX's with Eibach prokit on my I30...its pretty damn harsh if u ask me. but its not that bad if u keep everything on soft

Old 11-13-2004, 09:38 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Longboarderphil
ive got AGX's with Eibach prokit on my I30...its pretty damn harsh if u ask me. but its not that bad if u keep everything on soft

I use 1/1 or 1/2 for daily use. Its stiff but c'mon ppl what do you expect? We are talking enthusiest parts! You have to give a little to gain a little. I also have bens rear mounts which help smooth out the rear.

I would buy the full tokico kit over the H&R/AGX combo any day. The tokico set up is very nice, perfect for street use.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:56 AM

Where can one find these ME strut mounts?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:39 AM

ME does not make them anymore. The good news is that Ben is selling some increased travel mounts here on the Org. Here is the link.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&page=1&pp=30
Old 11-15-2004, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by nupe500
I'm actually running AGXs with H&Rs and I love the ride. Its not too low but low enough to improve the performance of the car and for others to notice when you cruise by them. They are not harsh, as that is determined by the springs...(H&Rs)...nice stock feeling ride...just lower
Harshness absolutely does not depend on the springs. Only if you cut the factory springs, but when you do that... congratulations, you just made your car junk.

I know when my dad switched to KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on his '72 Mustang his ride got extremely harsh. They were nothing of the sort with the old shocks on the same springs.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:27 AM

Looks like the popular opinion is that all KYBs are harsh. I guess that's why they're cheapest.

This is your ride, guys. Don't go with something just because it's the cheapest.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:34 PM

Actually, both struts and springs have an effect on harshness. AGX evidently give a harsh ride, but try putting eibachs on illumina's and you have a harsh ride there too my freind.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:05 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

well i did not lower my car for it to be smooth......agx's work well for me
i am on h&r's and i love the setup. i have a stillen kit and it is just the right height for me not to hella scrape everywhere.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i think the problem is not the struts being harsh, its the fact that you are comparing them to used OEM struts, which are most likely blown. Yes Dave has a great point about the compresson and rebound, and the stiffer the compression the stiffer the ride. But if you were to take a brand new OEM strut and test/compare it to an AGX on 1, i think you'll be amaized. Its probably a closer stiffness than ppl realize. I could be wrong, but im sure someone will see at least a flake of logic here.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:37 PM

Except that people who have used both AGX and Illumina's (or a combination)overwhelmingly agree that the illumina's are better.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i never said they were or werent better.

Illuminas are stiff too
Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
...Illuminas are stiff too...
It's not the same feel at all, though. The Illuminas give a more compliant ride if you adjust them in the middle range, say 2-4. The feel they provide is that the suspension is buttoned-down and well-controlled, not the crashing or jarring sensation some of the other shocks give. The Illuminas are well worth the extra cost, IMHO.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by JSutter
test/compare it to an AGX on 1, i think you'll be amaized. Its probably a closer stiffness than ppl realize. I could be wrong, but im sure someone will see at least a flake of logic here.
The problem I had with running "1" on the AGXs was that the strut remained way too soft from the spring. This resulted in a harsh ride. Then I'd dial up to 4 and the dampening would be good, but the rebound still wasn't enough. Then at 6 or so the dampening was way too stiff, but the rebound was ideal. I just couldn't win. I got suspension harshness regardless of settings.

With the Konis the ride is well dampened (non adjustable) and the rebound control is perfect at around 60% or so. The difference really is night and day. Auto-X and road race guys are in full agreement that for a street-based car, Koni Yellows are the only way to go. They also agree that the AGXs are counterproductive because they can't be adjusted for rebound and dampening seperately.

well i did not lower my car for it to be smooth......agx's work well for me
Stiff doesn't mean great handling. Take notice of how BMWs ride.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

clearing up AGX behaviour

From everything I've read, the dampening on the KYB AGX struts don't change as you change the settings, it's only the rebound rate that's adjustable. That's why people tend to report that higher settings such as 3 front/ 6 rear is actually more comfortable than 1 front/ 2 rear. The 3/6 setting actually does a good job of balancing the amount of dampening and rebound. When I had the eibach/agx combo, I definitely found this to be true. Now the higher settings tend to work better if you've got stiffer springs. If you've got softer or stock springs, I'd stay away from AGX's, since they're actually more comfortable with stiffer springs. After having the eibach/agx combo for about a year, I temporarily switched to stock springs and the agx's, and the ride definitely felt harsher.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Taken from KYBs website:

KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks allow drivers to adjust the damping rate on both rebound and compression strokes with an eight-position external **** on the body of the shock or a screwdriver slot on top of the piston rod. In seconds, the vehicle and the driver are ready for whatever road conditions lay ahead.