4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OBDII plug on the max

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:41 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Mine turns. Before me the car was worked on by only Nissan techs and they fxcked it all up.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 95bluse
Anyone know if any of these tools will override the setting of the ECU screw? What I mean is if your screw doesn't work anymore and your car is left in diagnostic mode, can the tool set the cpu back to normal?

I dont know about that. I think these software apps are just for diy diagnostics and to check readings. Does anyone have the digimoto and successfully used the dyno mode?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:47 AM

What? you didn't get it yet shark? what r u waitin for? DO IT!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by chenzarino
What? you didn't get it yet shark? what r u waitin for? DO IT!

CHILD SUPPORT!!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:54 PM

This thing looks awesome.

Does anyone know how to connect it to a Dell Axim X5 ?

It's ironic the picture of the compatible Pocket PC is a Dell Axim. I'm waiting for responses from Dell and Digimoto to see if either knows, just thought maybe someone here might. I can't find any cables that would give the Axim a serial port anywhere.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 AM
2060lbs and falling...

No serial. Wow, dell really does suck. Yes serial transfer technology is antiquated but it is still a cheap way for things like this to be transfered.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Here's my Harrison R&D OBDII setup in my car:

I like using the laptop because the information can be easily read and more data can be displayed plus my old laptop finally got put to some use. This scanner has been the best $119 I've spent. I've used it on lots of 95-98 Maximas, my friend's various Hondas, wife's Legacy GT wagon, my friends 02 WRX, and my father's 04 Sienna. Cars built after 02 also can have their A/F ratio read. I watched this on the Sienna and WRX.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Dave, is that laptop mounted? I had one in my car for a while to test it out. I was playing music off it. I was contemplating switching the Harrison over Auterra. The screen broke from my harsh suspension. Now it won't work at all. I like the idea but I decided it would be a magnet for thieves and a PITA for passengers.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by quasidynamic
I just baught the digimoto and it's freakin sweet. you can monitor all computer data realtime while you drive (K/S resistance, O2 sensor voltages, air temp, etc..), in addition to simply checking the CEL codes and resetting them. You can also plot charts of all kinds of stuff which i havent tried out yet. It does dyno the car tho.
Hey Quasi - did you say the Digimoto dyno functions DOES work on your '98?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:03 PM

I think the dyno function does work. I know on their site it says it does (not that it would in the real world though), however I talked to a friend of mine in Florida and he says he dynos his max with it. But that fool is known to lie from time to time so I dont know.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Hooooooonda.....

We, 4th gens, have slow 16bit ECUs, so all that real time crap isn't gonna be good to you since the ECU can't work that fast. You might have a reading every few seconds and I doubt you can run all 7 or 9 of those things at once.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally, I wouldn't make my decision upon a given OBD-II scanners for its claimed ability to act as a pseudo dyno. Most of these scanners are worth their weight in gold as diagnostic and general data acquisition tools.
I purchased the Auterra because I already had a PDA. It is a wonderful little tool.

The "dyno" function on any of these scanners is just a marketing ploy to appeal to the "young speed freak" mentality.

All it is doing is taking the velocity vs time data, differentiating it to get acceleration vs time and then applying equations of basic physics to generate hp and torque vs rpm curves. The problem is that to get an accurate slope of the vel vs time curve, you need a lot of data otherwise the calculated acceleration value will be way off.

It does not matter which tool you buy, it will not change the data rate coming out of the OBD-II port.

I wouldn't call the 4th gen ecus slow. Think of all the other computations they are doing while you have the accelerator pegged. Outputting data to the OBD-II port at a high data rate is not a priority. The design intent was that this port was for diagnostics which it does more than adequately.

Just my .02
Old 12-03-2004, 10:04 PM
2060lbs and falling...

All Nissan ECU's are extremely slow. Check here for a display of what I mean. http://pocketlogger.com/index.php?pi...obdii_datarate Its understandable that turbo'ed cars have extremely fast ECU's but companies N/A cars like Acura and Toyota are extremely fast. It seems that all mitsu's, even N/A mitsu's have an extremly fast ECU. I agree with everything else you said.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:59 AM

Interesting numbers. I agree 100% that the OBD-II data rate is relatively slow. That was never being called into question.

How that relates to the actual data processing speed of the ecu is a completely different issue. Nissan engineers obviously felt that OBD-II port updates were not a priority when they designed them.

I am certainly not defending our ecus. They are as fast as they need to be for engine control.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
We, 4th gens, have slow 16bit ECUs, so all that real time crap isn't gonna be good to you since the ECU can't work that fast. You might have a reading every few seconds and I doubt you can run all 7 or 9 of those things at once.
Maybe my next mod would be to overclock mine. Watercooling and a massive heat sink could facilitate a good overclock percentage say 50%. Combine this with faster DDR Ram and I'm sure my Max could be pushing close to 358bhp at wheel
Old 12-04-2004, 08:48 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I agree that the ECU is capable of doing everything it needs to for the car to run well. I just don't understand why they didn't put an emphasis on the OBD-II ports speed. If the readings are slow it is much more difficult to diagnose a problem. I wonder what the speed of the Consult port it?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Broaner
I wonder what the speed of the Consult port it?
Is the Consult able to pull much more data that all our home brew dataloggers?
Old 12-05-2004, 07:30 AM

Scan Tool

Originally Posted by sharkulator
What kind of plug does a 99 max have to hook this software up (for diagnostic purposes)? Also, has anybody bought this stuff, just wondering. I have a palm pilot, might as well put it to use, thanks.

http://www.digimoto.com/order.htm
I bought a ScanTool from http://www.scantool.net There are several free software programs for this unit. For the Nissan's you need the Elm323 ISO type.
This unit works on our 1995 Maxima ( Which is OBDII compliant) and my 2000 Frontier. Use it with a notebook puter. I am presently a beta tester for http://www.palmerperformance.com/ The man writing the software is very knowledgeable on the OBDII stuff. His program reallly rocks. Works better than the digimoto or the scantool.net program.

The scantool cost 79 bucks and comes with the correct cable for the OBDII connector and the serial port on notebook puter.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:42 AM

I just wanted to say that I have digimoto software, and it rocks!! Quarter mile times, code checking, I bought all three scan interfaces and it is so convenient to have. I would recommend this to all Maxima owners. I run mine off of my laptop and not off of a palm pilot or Pocket PC, but it is awesome!!
Old 12-05-2004, 04:19 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Is the Consult able to pull much more data that all our home brew dataloggers?
I don't know. I was just thinking out loud. I'd guess it does work faster though. Its next to impossible to tune an engine with such a slow readout. I'd like to know what the rates are on the '96 and possibly '95 300Z TT's. A turbo car running that slow for tuning would be impossible.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM

Missing OBD connector?

Hi folks, I live in Indonesia and use 1997 Infiniti i30. Starring every inch of my under dashboard and center console, what i found is only grey consult connector...no sign of OBD connector...from other thread, i found that every USDM 1996 maxima and up should already have OBD connector...can it be the exception for Non US market? and any way to add that connector (how is the wiring) or at least any information about adapter for Consult to OBD connector?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bebekhijau
Hi folks, I live in Indonesia and use 1997 Infiniti i30. Starring every inch of my under dashboard and center console, what i found is only grey consult connector...no sign of OBD connector...from other thread, i found that every USDM 1996 maxima and up should already have OBD connector...can it be the exception for Non US market? and any way to add that connector (how is the wiring) or at least any information about adapter for Consult to OBD connector?
outside of the US OBDII is rare, ran into the same thing on my brother's 98/99 Mazda MPV in Israel, no OBDII port.
You can get several programs to read from the Consult port you will need to buy the adapter for it unless you want to cut up and fabricate your own adapter which I have no clue how to do.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM

can someone inform me the whether there is an adapter/converter from consult to obd2?