4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Team Ramrod

troubleshooting

what does anybody know about the cold idle circuit? ive tried to look it up in my haynes manual but so far i have no luck, maybe i havent looked hard enough. but my car has trouble starting in the morning with this cold weather. it sounds and feels really weak and i have to floor it to get the car to start. and when it starts it idles at 1400 rpms... which is about 600 rpm's above normal for my car. i checked the charing system, it was fine. my check engine light has been on for a while now. i checked that, it gave me three codes. one was the knock sensor, which is irrelivant to this situation, the other two were the crankshaft position sensor and the engine coolant temperature sensor. i checked the engine coolant temperature sensor and it seemed fine. it gave me the right amount of power at a specific temperature. i checked it at different temperatures. i did some research on the org and someone in a different thread said it may be the cold idle circuit, the person who they said that to had a '99 maxima. mine is a '95 gle... and i really need help to figure this out so if anybody could please help me or give me some advice i would appreciate it. sorry for the story lol
thanks
Old 11-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Does the ECTS code repost if you clear the ECU? If it does, replace it (its only 25 bucks and takes 10 mins).

Which crankshaft position sensor is it posting (REF or POS)? if it is POS - this also can affect starting - if this reposts after clearing the ECU, clean and/or replace this sensor.

Don't ignore what the car's ECU is telling you - why are you assuming addressing these error codes won't fix your problem?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Team Ramrod

im not assuming anything, i just wanna fix this thing
Old 11-16-2004, 06:20 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Then replace the ECTS and try cleaning the crankshaft sensor, reset the ECU and see which codes reappear... if the crankshaft sensor code reappears, replace it too... both the ECTS and Crankshaft position sensor (POS) affect starting.