4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WOW I never really knew just how POWERFULL and QUICK our cars are. WOW :amazement:

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 06:45 AM

Just have to add in the woes of the automatic, haha. Still not a complete loss, atleast I'm still driving a Maxima

-Maybe one day, when the warranty is up I can look at the auto to 5 speed transmission.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

first time i drove in a 5spd max was in sonicdust187s car at the maxima meet, it made me soooo mad that the 5spd felt so much better than my auto....he even drifted on some leaves (accidentally i think) lol, but if u have auto and u get the VB mod, wouldnt it perform the same exact way? even better than 5spd? because its like haveing a 5spd that shifts perfectly each time.....isnt it?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:29 AM
THT
Throbbing member

VB mod won't decrease the drivetrain power loss so you won't be putting down as much as the 5spd.

~THT
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

it would help a lot though, right? bring me much closer to the 5spd feel...
Old 11-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by BlueC
Oh, and 1st gear on the auto is nice, 40mph in 1st gear has its advantages...
I can do around 45mph in 1st with my 5 speed thanks to my MEVI/JWT ECU. I wish my gearing wasn't so long though because the car would be a bit quicker.

1st ~45mph
2nd ~73mph
3rd ~104mph

Old 11-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by maxsthebest
I, like any other Maxima owner, well appreciates the speed of our cars. My Maxima too is incredibly fast! I almost have 100K miles on it and to this day my car has amazing "getup and go"! Even when I travel with my whole family in the car (wife and 3 daughters). The additional weight of the family and while running the AC doesn't faze this car at all. I just love driving my Max everyday...it is definitely an experience!

However, did I fail to mention that my Maxima is an AUTOMATIC? It is, and I will pretty much take on anyone on the highway if the situation presents itself. I have that much confidence in the power of my Max (even though it's an Automatic)! As long as you take good care of your ride, change the fluids regularly, the Maxima will give you 100% throttle response. I have mine tricked out with a Dynomax Turbo muffler, a K&N panel air filter and ported air box. Talk about going fast...it also sounds awesome...like a fine-tuned racing machine. I just love my Max!

That's the funniest thing I've read today. You obviously never rode in a 5spd as you're realize your auto is slow as hell, it's stock after all.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by chenzarino
Look at most newer exotics. They all have the indy style paddle shifters with no clutch or a semi-auto slap shifter. The semi-automatic trans is the next big thing.
Actually those types of trannys have one or more clutches. It operates just like a manual, the difference is the ECU and hydualic pumps acuate the clutches to make for lightining quick shifts and perfect downshifts.

The manualmatics that are found in the G35/350Z and most autos that claim to give you control of your shifts are just standard autos.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
The simple fact is that most north americans are lazy and would rather be able to eat, sleep, read, put on their makeup, shave, yell at their kids, talk on their phone, etc rather than drive their car. An automatic suits these types nicely. It's one less thing to do in their multitasking commute to wherever they go each day. What cons, besides the inability to steer with one's left leg while reading the wall street journal with both hands, would there be to having a manual? A 5 speed is both cheaper to fix if something goes wrong, simpler, gets better gas mileage, results in superior performance, and is in general more fun to drive than an auto as evidenced by your agreement that any sports car with an automatic is a sin. The only possible pro of an automatic vehicle to me is the ability to drive in stop and go traffic without having to shift, and that goes directly back to my first point about laziness...
I couldn't agree more, and well-put, Neal.

I think automatic transmissions should be banned from all new cars. (I'm about half joking, here.) Then we'd have less road congestion and wasted gas because it's much less fun to drive in heavy traffic with a stick than with an auto. More people would walk or bike to the store to get a stick of butter instead of firing up their autotragic cruiser and driving off in numb bliss like a f&cking automaton. Get out and enjoy the world.

People are such lazy p&ssies these days. I bike to work all winter long on my mountain bike and love it. The Max stays in the garage except for occasional errands and long country drives.

Great reading for anyone interested:
The Car is the Enemy of the City
Traffic Congestion: Friend or Foe?
The Terrible Dilemma

Back to the topic: I do not think the manual transmission is anywhere near dead. The only reason I can think of the percentage shrinking in coming years is that more and more cheap little cars will be sold with automatic trannies. The type of people who drive those cars are usually not into performance much. So as engine HP steadily increases, the benefits of having a stick on a small car (lighter, quicker) will decrease and automatics will be more prevalent. However, all 2- and 4-door sports cars will continue to have a MT option.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:24 AM

Both of mine are 5 spds. I wouldn't have it any other way My 00 is appreciably faster than my 97, but the 97, considering its cost, miles, age, is pretty darn sweet.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:07 AM
98blkonblk

Hello everyone

I am new to this site, Please rate my car and lemme know what you think

http://members.cardomain.com/ledmaxi

Old 11-24-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 98blkonblk
Hello everyone

I think you should stick to the topic.

If you want people to rate your car, post a new topic for that. Don't clutter up other topics just because you want to get more attention.

On topic, the manual tranmission transforms the car, I wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hello everyone

No need to post it more than once. It annoy alot of people. Create a new thread and people will give comments.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 AM

Took me 4 months to find my '98 SE 5-speed, and I ended up scoring an amazing deal on it.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:10 AM

Hello everyone

i rated you as low as i possible could for three reasons:

1) you jacked somebody elses thread to shamelessly plug your ride
2) your animated background on your cardomain page is annoying.
3) your ricetezzas are fugly
Old 11-24-2004, 11:49 AM

i guess im pretty lucky too. 5spd with the whole works. could not be happier
Old 11-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Project Ruby......

I love my car, cause it just surprises everybody.

Everybody down in the south basically drives a S10 or a compact car, Neons, Civics, you know the run abouts.

Me on the other hand have this "boat" that everybody calls it. I'm an auto with intake and ypipe, and with a recent new knock sensor put in this car moves!

I have taken down a turbo Neon (not SRT-4) that a guy at my school has. And he claims I'm not telling all my mods.

I've had Vortec 6 S10 owners think they're gonna stomp me, because I'm a 4 door grocery getter, but in the end I'm about 10 cars ahead.

I really wish I had a 5spd, but my auto has really quick throttle response as well. I just take off the O/D when sitting at a light, it immediately jumps up to about 1500 rpms if I get on it. I've taken a few friends for rides to prove that car is quicker than what everybody thinks and I throw them all back in the seats. My girlfriend loves the car and she's not into 4 doors.

This is what makes the Maxima great. It is one of the ultimate sleepers. Put the right mods on it and you can shut up a lot of people. And after I took down the guy at my school with the Turbo Neon my car has been the talk of the school for the past 2 weeks. Nobody around here knows or understands what a Ypipe can do for our cars.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:59 PM

Lucky me

My 3rd gen was hit by an uninsured motorist, called in the paper about a 97 GXE, it was sold but they had a 97 SE for sale as well. Saw it, drove it, bought it after 1 day of looking. 92K, Pearl white, shaved emblems, leather, moon, ABS, 5-spd, heated seats, pioneer CD, bra, and updated bulbs around.

Much more snap than my '90 automatic, may have mods but I do not know enough to be able to tell?

Very happy, need to swap some stock parts and I will be extremely happy.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:39 PM

I think I'm pretty lucky too. It took me a month to find a 5-speed Max. My dad has an '88 300ZX non turbo 5-speed, and the battery went dead. I took it out to recharge the battery and drove it kinda hard, it didn't feel that powerful. When I got back home, I took a ride in my car, and the difference is very big. Felt like my Max was supercharged compared to the 300ZX. I've taken down a few cars, I think I surprised them.

Mooney
Old 11-24-2004, 05:37 PM

It took me about 3 months to find mine. I had a 93 before, but I grew to like the 4thGen better. When I floor this thing in first gear I can't keep the wheels from spinning on dry ground! I pried open the air filter box about an inch to let some noise out of that beast, sounds good now. Some guy in an Explorer thought he could hang with me the other day, I wish I could have seen the look on his face when I was 15 car lengths away doing 120mph. There were no other cars around either.