4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WOW I never really knew just how POWERFULL and QUICK our cars are. WOW :amazement:

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:25 AM
VIP Maxima

WOW I never really knew just how POWERFULL and QUICK our cars are. WOW :amazement:

just yesterday I found out that one of my classmates/new friend happens to own a 4th gen too. Him and I and a couple of my friends who happen to be in the same class as me decided to go out for lunch and eat something. we head to the parking lot and we decide to go with his car since its the closest one. Its a white 97 GXE bone stock 5 speed ! the car is in good condition with about 100k miles on it. as soon as he put the car in 1st gear, i started to . the throttle responce is AMAZING (specially in 1st gear), the car jumps like crazy! once we got on the main street, i asked him to make a coupla visits to redline and WOW ! the car pulls like no other, even with 4 people inside. 5spd feels SOOOO much more powerfull and quicker compared to my automagic :headbang: its like a rocket ! i swear !. its just amazing and there is no other way i can explain it. I never knew the real power of the VQ30DE up untill now. the difference between 5spd and auto is like heaven and hell ! and did i mention how powerfull the car felt after each shift? when he shifted, the car instantly jumped after in higher gear, even with 4 people ! amazing, simply sweet ! In my wildest dreams i couldnt believe that the difference would be THIS much. im such a dumba$$ for buying an auto

sorry, just had to share the excitement and new experience with 5spd max's !
now all i gotta do is get him addicted to .org
5spd owners

*starts to manually shift his auto to get the most out of it* manumatic

Old 11-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
5spd owners
Hey thanks! haha

Yeah, I'm SO glad I bought a 5spd... When I needed a new car, automatic maximas were everywhere around here, but I had to travel 5 hours to Ohio to find the closest 5spd that I wanted; it was a long trip both ways, but it's so frickin worth it!
dot dot dot ...

Instead of getting him addicted, get some more mods, beat him and don't tell him about the org. .

tastey wheat

lol...

10 char
Old 11-17-2004, 10:36 AM

loll thats whay i do to my friend, he thinks his is better, but he doesnt know about ypipes nd ****. lol
Old 11-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Or you can just take that auto tranny and toss it in the trash and get yourself a 5-speed. Seems that you will like it a million times more.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Now take a ride in a boosted 5spd and youll see what fast is

-matt
Old 11-17-2004, 10:56 AM

I, like any other Maxima owner, well appreciates the speed of our cars. My Maxima too is incredibly fast! I almost have 100K miles on it and to this day my car has amazing "getup and go"! Even when I travel with my whole family in the car (wife and 3 daughters). The additional weight of the family and while running the AC doesn't faze this car at all. I just love driving my Max everyday...it is definitely an experience!

However, did I fail to mention that my Maxima is an AUTOMATIC? It is, and I will pretty much take on anyone on the highway if the situation presents itself. I have that much confidence in the power of my Max (even though it's an Automatic)! As long as you take good care of your ride, change the fluids regularly, the Maxima will give you 100% throttle response. I have mine tricked out with a Dynomax Turbo muffler, a K&N panel air filter and ported air box. Talk about going fast...it also sounds awesome...like a fine-tuned racing machine. I just love my Max!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:07 AM

If my Maxima was a girl..........lets just leave it at that.......
Old 11-17-2004, 07:30 PM

haha my buddy who drives a TA (ex Maxima driver and .org member) and my other friend who just got a 4.6l v8 stang we talking about their "v8 club" so I just kind of laugh. My buddy who has the TA now had an automagic, even with a valve body, y pipe, exhaust, intake, upd ect decides hes going to ride in the Stang out to the shop to do some work on it. So we hop on the interstate and he takes off down the on ramp....I do the same and realize....hes not pulling away. So I catch up to him on the highway and the ex Max driver calls me, says, on 3 honks, lets go. After 3 I drop it down to 3 and take off. Mustang does the same. It's neck and neck. I shift he gets a little up on him but I make it up pretty quickly. He shifts and I immediately take off and get my car's nose out in front. About this time we have to shut down because of traffic. So yeah, its now the v8/ white 4dr club.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:35 PM

who would know a maxima would be that powerful, i guess our cars have magic
Old 11-17-2004, 07:45 PM

Had to drive 2 1/2 hours to get a 5-speed. EVERY SINGLE one was a freakin' automatic. My friend has a stock 1996 Auto (he has those huge subs in the trunk and couldn't get faster than 16.34 in the 1/4. We emptied the trunk and he got it down to 16.19, I tried it and ran 15.96. With my 5-speed I get 15.00. 0-60 alone is like a second quicker. I hate how in the auto the tach just goes up put there is this huge lag in response... glad I spent the extra time looking for a 5-speed.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:50 PM

i found my 5 speed max with only 89K miles and that guy lived about 2 miles away from me, now his replacement car is a 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan with a 6 Speed, that'll be my next car!! gotta love the 5 speed.....better yet 6
Old 11-17-2004, 07:50 PM

waaaaaaaat are u serious? 16.3? shiit i have subs in my trunk and my car is auto aswell, i hope my car aint that slow
Old 11-17-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

all street driving my dads auto feels faster than my 5 spd. Only on the track do I see that my car is quicker. I would love to race them, but i know which one will win so that's no surprise.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:52 PM

took me 8 months to find a 5 speed (97-99)
Old 11-17-2004, 08:07 PM

i drove 2hours as well to get my max love it every ****in day i cant stand auto its a prefrance thang
Old 11-17-2004, 08:32 PM

yeah auto holds nothing against the 5speed, i drove an auto GLE for a year and a half, switched to a 5speed, the difference is too big to ignore, if the maxima dindt have such poor resale, i problaby wouldve gotten antoher car, but its the best bang for the buck. the 5speed on the other hand, MUCH QUICKER
Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by 99se5spd
took me 8 months to find a 5 speed (97-99)
Took me almost the exact same time, but was definitely worth the wait wouldn't you say? The 5 speed makes this car a 4 door sports sedan. If you have the auto you have a 4 door family sedan.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 PM

I must have gotten lucky, found a fully loaded 96 se manual like 25 miles away....

I love the throttle response...im looking to get boosted as soon as I can afford it.
I can put the car in first and throw stuff off my passengers seat by pumping the throttle. A couple times I've been afriad I was gonna break the motor off it's mounts. I've been too afriad to do it more than like 3 times cuz it just keep throwing harder and harder.

My favorite thing about our max's is that the general populace thinks its a slow little 4 door sedan. All the guys at school think I drive a "little 4 door family sedan peice of ****"(qoute by a kid with a bmw 328i auto).

only thing im worried about is messing up my tranny from flooring it too much....
Old 11-17-2004, 09:49 PM
I never narc'd on nobody.

i wasnt even looking for a max, just found a black car like 1/2 mile from my house. just happened to be a 5-speed, which is nice for me
Old 11-17-2004, 09:51 PM

Wow I guess I am the luckiest maxima owner on the org. I spotted my 5-speed max around the corner from my house at a small business dealership. I test drove it, got it inspected, and dropped the cash. black exterior, black interior leather, heated seats, moonroof, cd, and oh did i mention its a 5-speed??
Old 11-17-2004, 10:09 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally Posted by matty
Now take a ride in a boosted 5spd and youll see what fast is

-matt

or a turbo'd one and press his internal organs against his back
Old 11-17-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fekz
black exterior, black interior leather
ahhh, my only weakness!! my leather is tan and my car is dark green.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I sure enjoy my 5-speed. Never compared it to an auto Max though. Seen quite a few of them around though and I just feel sorry for them.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:16 PM

I'm one of the few lucky maxima members. I just stumbled on my 5spd maxima in a "lemon lot" in one of the military bases here in san antonio. This is one of the best cars that I have owned eva. Fully Loaded leather, 97 SE, 5spd, sunroof, and dozen of other shiit.

It was like i stumbled on the gold at the end of the rainbow.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:22 PM
vsamoylov

hey what about the 6 speed guys too?

Old 11-17-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
just yesterday I found out that one of my classmates/new friend happens to own a 4th gen too. Him and I and a couple of my friends who happen to be in the same class as me decided to go out for lunch and eat something. we head to the parking lot and we decide to go with his car since its the closest one. Its a white 97 GXE bone stock 5 speed ! the car is in good condition with about 100k miles on it. as soon as he put the car in 1st gear, i started to . the throttle responce is AMAZING (specially in 1st gear), the car jumps like crazy! once we got on the main street, i asked him to make a coupla visits to redline and WOW ! the car pulls like no other, even with 4 people inside. 5spd feels SOOOO much more powerfull and quicker compared to my automagic :headbang: its like a rocket ! i swear !. its just amazing and there is no other way i can explain it. I never knew the real power of the VQ30DE up untill now. the difference between 5spd and auto is like heaven and hell ! and did i mention how powerfull the car felt after each shift? when he shifted, the car instantly jumped after in higher gear, even with 4 people ! amazing, simply sweet ! In my wildest dreams i couldnt believe that the difference would be THIS much. im such a dumba$$ for buying an auto

sorry, just had to share the excitement and new experience with 5spd max's !
now all i gotta do is get him addicted to .org
5spd owners

*starts to manually shift his auto to get the most out of it* manumatic

Yeah man, I just let my best friend drive my car 3 days ago. This being the first time ever for me riding in the passenger seat, its unbelievable at how it kinda just puts you back into your seat. Its pretty cool. As a driver, you dont feel all of that pressure, but when your chillin in the passenger seat, you feel everything. Wierd but cool. Oh, by the way mines a 5-speed with 75,000 miles on it, and I love it.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:23 PM

HAHA.. I was at school and planned to buy a car when I went home for a 4 day vacation. When I got home I checked the classifieds section of the newspaper and right there I found my car.

It was for a 1996 dark (maybe forest? I dont know what color its called) green maxima 5 speed with 123,000 miles. It was in awesome shape and already had some nice 35% tints, new clutch, brembo brake rotors and the only thing it needed was new shocks which I took care of.

It seems pretty fast yeah. I just wonder if my knock sensor is bad and not letting me get everything out of it. Gotta check that out. Anyway it definitely has a lot more torque down low and acceleration my last car when it was stock which had a 2.5 6 cylinder and was 5 speed, rear wheel drive. I like the strait line performance for sure.

What do you think my car would do in a 1/4 mile if it had basic intake and full exhaust (not including headers), and its lowered if that matters?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:53 AM

96 with 73k 5spd in great condition with dealer service stamps up to date..
Was less then 3 miles from my house and was the first and only car I looked at, I bought it without ever driving a stickshift in my life.

Found it on the internet when my powersteering pump went out on the G20.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:11 AM
brotherhood of tq

if u think a max is fast take a ride in a m5 or a vette... but yea our 5pds are suprisingly quick and we r able to suprise alot of people
Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 AM

Funny 5 spd's up here in Canada are not so popular, so I watched mine sit at a Chrysler dealer for 7 months, (they said they could have sold it 10 times over if it was an automatic) so I waited and watched as they dropped the price by 30% and then went in and hammered them for another 20% ! Luv the 5 spd this is my second, all those looking they're worth the wait!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:17 AM

i seriously found my car in about 10 min. went to cars.com, looked up Used NIssan Maxima, and the firist one that showed up , got the guys number, called him, met him about 15 min later and baught the car for 6500 bux cash.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:52 AM

damn u guys must have more auto max's in your area than mine. i had to settle for a 5speed and miss comfort of an auto. still not sure if i like it even with the responsiveness. well one day for laffs i pull up to an older vette and auto cause his hands were on the steering wheel the whole time. i pulled on vette up till 3rd and slowed down cause of the traffic. yeah this car has some nice power, but im going from a 01 crap *** civic to a 95 max. glad i did though.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:27 AM

How about 1,100 Miles....................

Originally Posted by sterlingmaxima
i drove 2hours as well to get my max love it every ****in day i cant stand auto its a prefrance thang

I Flew from Chicago, IL to Jacksonville, FL to pick up my VQ 5sp.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:33 AM
Go Hokies!!

Took me about a month to find my 99 5-speed only like 4-5 miles away. Yes, high mileage (bought @ 128k), but in turn I get a good price, and everything on the car was perfect.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:51 AM

I drove a 5-speed, RWD Toyota and it was just not practical for me. I think it's a sin to have a sports car with an automatic, but we do not have sports cars, we have "sporty" cars. When I have a nice weekend sports car, I'll keep the 6-speed. For daily driving, I'll keep my automatic. I don't need to stroke my e-***** off to a 5-speed like most people here

Most young people I know think they are soooo cool because they are driving a 5-speed. It's a transmission with pros and cons, just like an automatic. For daily driving, 90 out of 100 people will take the automatic. They say that by 2010, only 5 or 6% of vehicles produced will have 5 or 6 speeds. Right now it's around 10%. Once again, the cons typically outweigh the pros when it comes to a manual transmission.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Colossus
For daily driving, I'll keep my automatic. I don't need to stroke my e-***** off to a 5-speed like most people here
lol @ "e-*****"
Old 11-18-2004, 06:58 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Colossus
I drove a 5-speed, RWD Toyota and it was just not practical for me. I think it's a sin to have a sports car with an automatic, but we do not have sports cars, we have "sporty" cars. When I have a nice weekend sports car, I'll keep the 6-speed. For daily driving, I'll keep my automatic. I don't need to stroke my e-***** off to a 5-speed like most people here

Most young people I know think they are soooo cool because they are driving a 5-speed. It's a transmission with pros and cons, just like an automatic. For daily driving, 90 out of 100 people will take the automatic. They say that by 2010, only 5 or 6% of vehicles produced will have 5 or 6 speeds. Right now it's around 10%. Once again, the cons typically outweigh the pros when it comes to a manual transmission.
The simple fact is that most north americans are lazy and would rather be able to eat, sleep, read, put on their makeup, shave, yell at their kids, talk on their phone, etc rather than drive their car. An automatic suits these types nicely. It's one less thing to do in their multitasking commute to wherever they go each day. What cons, besides the inability to steer with one's left leg while reading the wall street journal with both hands, would there be to having a manual? A 5 speed is both cheaper to fix if something goes wrong, simpler, gets better gas mileage, results in superior performance, and is in general more fun to drive than an auto as evidenced by your agreement that any sports car with an automatic is a sin. The only possible pro of an automatic vehicle to me is the ability to drive in stop and go traffic without having to shift, and that goes directly back to my first point about laziness...
Old 11-18-2004, 08:21 AM
我爱台湾

I must be lucky too cause my 5-speed was sitting about 5 minutes from my house at a little car dealership. She's a 95 and had 88K on her when I bought her home. I had a 90 Maxima Se that was hella quick (5-speed also), so after driving the 90 for about 2 years and getting used to a 5-speed, I could go back to anything automatic. An automatic Maxima is like the turtle against the rabbit, (supercharged turtle that is). She used to be emerald green but now metallic black w/tan leather soon to be white leather.

Quick Reply: WOW I never really knew just how POWERFULL and QUICK our cars are. WOW :amazement: