4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New To Maximas (disregard my username)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New To Maximas (disregard my username)

well, im new to Maximas and Nissan in general ,but i do have done a little research on the 4th gen and i like what ive found. The reason i made this thread was because i recently wrecked my Honda Prelude (hit from the rear, so im not at fault) and am considering getting a 98 Maxima GXE. I know the GXE is the base model but still carries the VQ30DE. its also a manual transmission and from what ive looked up about them it has a 0-60 of about 7-7.5 sec. Im just looking for any suggestions on what would be the basic mods that i should get first that are essential to a solid performing engine and just general comments.....thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

read ALLL the stickies and browse the forums berfore you post again. whatever question you have has been answered somewhere. take your time and look.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:04 PM
What was that?

Welcome. The first thing is a Y-pipe (15-18hp). Then go on from there. For looks the first thing is clear corners unless you want to go with the sleeper look. There's a lot you can do. http://maxmods.dyndns.org is a good site to go to.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:05 PM

Y-pipe and Intake (about $200 each) generally are the best bang for the dollar and should get you into the mid 14's quarter mile with manual. Great, fun, fast car that is also reliable and versatile and economical.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ive got the same idea for it that i had already implemented with my 92 prelude, i had nothing on the exterior that wasnt licensed Honda equipment. for example, i had JDM one piece headlights, the JDM foglights, the 97 type SH rims and thats as far as i went with the exterior, no body kit, strobes, euros, decals, clear corners etc...thats what i have in mind for the Maxima if i get it, its what i like to call the strictly business design scheme...and ill look into that Y pipe....i wont ask anymore questions and ill check the stickies like you said....thanks, so far you guys have been nice....reminds me of the Honda-Tech forum...
Old 11-18-2004, 04:22 PM

as long as you don't put a 3 foot wing on the back I'll be happy.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:04 PM
ChristheNite

intake is garbage - save your money. My suggestions are Y-pipe and 4inch muffler

Old 11-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

If you can drive, you can get 0 - 60 in 6 flat with a 5-speed. My auto does it in 6.7.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ImAHondaGuy
well, im new to Maximas and Nissan in general ,but i do have done a little research on the 4th gen and i like what ive found. The reason i made this thread was because i recently wrecked my Honda Prelude (hit from the rear, so im not at fault) and am considering getting a 98 Maxima GXE. I know the GXE is the base model but still carries the VQ30DE. its also a manual transmission and from what ive looked up about them it has a 0-60 of about 7-7.5 sec.
Actually, the 1995 model (GXE or SE, it doesn't matter) with the manual transmission was tested with a 0-60 of 6.6 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 15.2 at 92 mph by five different magazines (one even tested it at 14.9). I hit 15.0 like many others. Some stock 4th gens have even hit 14s bone stock. The record currently stands at 14.7 with one hell of a driver. I don't know where exactly that is in the Honda/Acura world but it's a bit faster than an early 1990's GS-R I believe.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
Welcome. The first thing is a Y-pipe (15-18hp). Then go on from there. For looks the first thing is clear corners unless you want to go with the sleeper look. There's a lot you can do. http://maxmods.dyndns.org is a good site to go to.
for suggesting clear corners.

A factory stock '96 Acura Integra GS-R is good for 15.7. Fast by Honda standards I hear. I hate Hondas so much. I don't know how so many kids got the idea wedged into their head that Hondas are hot-rods.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:16 PM

Must... not... start... the... sticker jokes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:43 PM

if you want a nice look and some decent speed to start you off with:

springs
wheels
cai
ypipe
exhaust (greddy sp, apexi ws, cattman, stillen, or do a custom job like some have done including me...2.5 inch or 2.25 inch catback with a magna flow muffler will make the car loud and deep, but make sure you resonate it cuz it will sound like ish at first.)

lowered, nice shoes, great deep sound and just cruise.

just my two cents.

Tony
Old 11-18-2004, 06:48 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by mzmtg
If you can drive, you can get 0 - 60 in 6 flat with a 5-speed. My auto does it in 6.7.
really?? awesome.. i thought it was 6.7
Old 11-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had an h22a1 swap in my 92 prelude (for those who dont know honda motors just know it was a VTEC) and stock it did 15 flat in a 1/4......but damn, i never knew maximas had such potential....and yes, i have my license so ill be driving it as soon as i get it. But please dont start bashing hondas, have an open mind and realize not everyone who likes Honda has a civic.....i swore to myself that i would get another Prelude if i ever had to get another car, but my mom insisted on something more practical and i wanted somethign performance oriented....i also looked into turbocharger kits and they are ****ing expensive but one site had it listed that a test maxima gained some substantial numbers.......and ****ing 6.6 for a 0-60 STOCK is unbelievable......ill definately look into that maxima now......and i was also wondering about the clutch feel of maximas, cause my prelude had a s really soft clutch and it had a lot of give so im used to a clutch that doesnt require alot of pressure.....
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 PM

i hear a few vtec badges here and there can be good for some extra hp
Old 11-18-2004, 07:08 PM

HondaGuy: Clutch isn't what I'd call super-soft but unless you have a really weak left leg, you'll get used to it. As for engine swaps... check out the All Motor forum, people have just started swapping VQ35DE's in 4th gens (95-99) since the engines are so recent (2002+). I'll leave it at that.

Also the thing to keep in mind with Vtec versus VQ max engine is that while the top end is pretty good, you'll get much more power down low, more torque than hp.

And don't put Type-R stickers on your car
Old 11-18-2004, 07:10 PM

Clutch doesn't take much pressure. The one thing that you may notice is that there is quite a bit a travel before it starts to grab. It is just something to get used to. In my Eclipse I just roll the foot back a bit and it hookes up-- on my Maxima you need to let your leg out a bit more. I think you will enjoy your Maxima, especially if it is a 5 speed--not too easy to come by.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

id be the last guy to put a VTEC sticker on a non-vtec car, let alone a car thats not even a Honda......i hate it when people spell it VTECH, like that ****ing electronics company......its just cause Honda was one of the first with variable valvle technology, its like a novelty now with toyotas VVTi, mitsu's MIVEC, and ford's Zetec.....but im not gonna get into Hondas cause this is for Nissans.....id kill for one of the new maximas with a 6speed....they just seem too bling-blingy kinda, like someone would buy it just to put 20s on it....thats just me though
Old 11-18-2004, 07:14 PM

hey, just so you know, once you get a maxima, you will love it because it is a bigger car, more room, and soo much more torque than a honda that it makes it soo much fun feeling all that power.
just get
intake
ypipe
catback exhaust
and you will be more than happy.

oh by the way, welcome to the org, and remember, many people here really hates ricers. those who only think about racing, racing and racing also alteza tail's and high wings, none of this here. if you decide to, dont post it, you will get bashed. haha. anyways....good luck and you will not regret getting a maxima, they are reliable, and may i add......it looks really really nice.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:15 PM

oh and one more thing, please change your user name.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:16 PM

id kill for one of the new maximas with a 6speed....they just seem too bling-blingy kinda, like someone would buy it just to put 20s on it....thats just me though
Yes, the 2002+ are stupid fast with a 6-speed (0-60 is around 6.0-5.9 and 1/4 mile times are low 14s... 14.3, 14.2), but like I said, swapping that engine is possible in a 1995-1999.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

alright, this is ImAhondaGuy, i took the hint and registered under a new name.....i guess this will eliminate the possibility of getting ragged on for liking hondas.....tomorrow the insurance investigator is coming by to tell me how much i get for the damage to my car so that then i will know for sure if i can get the Maxima, its 4900 and i hope ill get somewhere around that so maybe i could talk the dealer down some on the price......if i get it, ill be hooked on maximas for sure.....but its weird cause i was all into hondas for like a year and learned so much **** and now im gonna have to start from scratch on Nissans, but at least ill fit in with a more diverse group of tuners.....
Old 11-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Maximoneypit

id be the last guy to put a VTEC sticker on a non-vtec car, let alone a car thats not even a Honda......i hate it when people spell it VTECH, like that ****ing electronics company......its just cause Honda was one of the first with variable valvle technology, its like a novelty now with toyotas VVTi, mitsu's MIVEC, and ford's Zetec.....but im not gonna get into Hondas cause this is for Nissans.....id kill for one of the new maximas with a 6speed....they just seem too bling-blingy kinda, like someone would buy it just to put 20s on it....thats just me though

YES!! Another classy Honda owner! - and in NC too! I too own a honda (accord) and for the longest time was on a mission to disprove that honda owners are all annoying teenagers that riced the crap out of their civics. I had plans to go totally sleeper w/ my 5th gen accord (no body kit/wing - nothing) and swap the H22 in. I was determined to prove that there are smart and not annoying ricey honda owners out there. However the power of the Max finally won me over (ridin w/ Mad-Max_SE) and im now planning on selling the honda (unfortunately) bc it makes more sense starting out w/ the power of a stock max than swapping engines. plus - i lose the label as a ricey honda owner. anyway, good luck man keep us updated on your progress.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:32 PM

You lose the label of ricer but you now become an old fart since you own a maxima. Most maxima owners it seems are all old guys driving auto fully loaded GLE's (Guys in their 20's modding maximas are really rare, at least around here). My friends were comparing my car to a 4cyl Accord until we went for a little ride, that shut them up real good. Sleeper, that's how I love it.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
oh and one more thing, please change your user name.
Yeah, that username is making me twitch... every time I see it... What made you pick that at Maxima.Org

But anyway... Intake is great, Y-pipe Is the best bang for the buck. Strut tower brace is a great first suspension mod. After that every thing else falls into place. Check out the stickies like some said before and Maxmods.dyndns.org.

Good luck with the Honda Killa... Oh I mean Maxima

Great!!! You did it The change totally releaved some stigma of your back... You've got a clean slat... Good Luck Again
Old 11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hondas=rice is not always true.......but its not common to see someone rice out a Maxima so maybe ill earn a little more respect that way
Old 11-18-2004, 07:42 PM

Must... resist... temptation....

Okay I'll stop now.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:42 PM

ok now, how do you do that? do you floor it?

Originally Posted by mzmtg
My auto does it in 6.7.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:06 PM

Welcome aboard!
if you want to start right and want to squeeze ever bit of power from your car I recommend getting cattman headers.
Many people who don't have them will tell you they are not worth it, but the people that have them think different. Anyway keep us posted!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:19 PM

You'll need to work on the suspension first thing. My sister had a prelude back in the day so I know how much of a difference the ride is. Where the Max has insane amounts of front load power next to a prelude, the stock Prelude can and does out corner and out handle most Maximas you'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Maxima - but for driving alone, I had a lot more fun in that Prelude.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah, i did notice that when i had it...they are wide and low, the roofline is at 50.8 inches....it kept good traction for havine stock suspension
Old 11-18-2004, 08:59 PM

Welcome and have fun with the Maxima. Y-pipe and look into suspension because stock Maximas handle like the stock family cars that they are. Honda-tech has a lot of sick cars...nicer than a lot of the stuff you see on this site.

I was wondering...my friend has a prelude with an H23 5 speed and says he could take me, im not doubting it but do you know what they run?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:16 PM

Nice to see that someone from the honda crowd acknowledges our existence . I would talk that dealer down to about 4100... I got a 96 maxima se fully loaded with 116k miles for 4k. It did have check engine light on...but it was just coolant temp sensor and ks.

welcome to the maxima world

as far as upgrades... y-pipe as everyone has said, and the rest is kinda up to you. Definitely go for the y-pipe though, has been rumored to give you ~18 hp at the crank!
a lot of people get rear sway bars to stop some of the body roll too...

lude with a swap beat a maxima? Maybe. Funny thing is, they needed a swap to be as fast as you are stock...and chances are your car was cheaper in the first place, plus they proly paid ~2000 for a swap.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:17 PM
is craving Bojangles

good luck with the maxima. and if you get it be prepared for your friends to first be bashing you for getting it because they have no idea of what its capable of, but after their first ride they stop the trash talk grin and just say wow.

for your first mods id go with an intake to hear the power (and believe me you'll hear it roar) and a y pipe to feel the power. thats about $200 for around 20 hp to the wheels. after that youll understand why we have websites like VQ power and your gonna be hooked on your maxima.

as far as turbos or FI go frankly its scary. Hal got his turbo max to around 550 hp (correct me if im wrong) with stock internals. well just leave it at that...

also where is Tarboro, NC? im in the hickory area and hardly ever see a modded max. its nice to be one of the few.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:43 PM
VIP Maxima

the stick has been rated at 6.6 and the auto at 7.4 to 60

Old 11-19-2004, 12:03 AM

awesome, welcome to the .org, read the stickies, and enjoy your stay

p.s. vtec wasnt the first, actually the toyota vvti was supposedly the first.. ionno.. thats what i heard..
Old 11-19-2004, 01:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There is nothing wrong with likeing a honda, after all honda does have one of the fastest formula 1 car.... Civics w/ fart cannons and VTEC badges all over them are disgusting. A prelude is a really nice car but the MAX is better overall. Just dont turn the MAX into a civic wannabe.
Oh yea, welcome to the .org
Old 11-19-2004, 01:43 AM

Go back to your honda crap.... leave the nissan to the men

This is based on the few prelude owners I knew, bunch of cocky SOB's
Old 11-19-2004, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by thisisausername

lude with a swap beat a maxima? Maybe. Funny thing is, they needed a swap to be as fast as you are stock...and chances are your car was cheaper in the first place, plus they proly paid ~2000 for a swap.
??? H23s came stock...non vtec by the way
Old 11-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Maxima Owner

i think what i was gonna say has already been said a few times.....y-pipe, exhaust, intake...anyway i know alot of honda guys that are not ricers and alot that are but most of them would never drive anythign a Honda...SO Welcome to the Dark Side

Quick Reply: New To Maximas (disregard my username)