4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

"Beating" on it in the cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:45 PM

"Beating" on it in the cold weather?

Hey I just thought of something today...
So I'm driving to school today and I get stuck behind this old man in an Oldsmobile (go figure haha) going about 30 MPH. I get pissed, floor it, and pass him. Now- I notice my thermostat needle isn't in the middle...Is it bad to rev your engine up to 5000 RPMs like I just did when your oil isn't heated up yet? Just curious. For what it's worth I use 10W oil.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by ChuckDaMaxRider
Hey I just thought of something today...
So I'm driving to school today and I get stuck behind this old man in an Oldsmobile (go figure haha) going about 30 MPH. I get pissed, floor it, and pass him. Now- I notice my thermostat needle isn't in the middle...Is it bad to rev your engine up to 5000 RPMs like I just did when your oil isn't heated up yet? Just curious. For what it's worth I use 10W oil.

If you don't adequately allow your car to warm up properly, it really sucks for the car when you put that amount of stress on it, especially in cold weather.

Best thing to do is to let your car warm up for 1-2 mins, then drive under 2k for a few mins until your temp rises.

Its the equivlent of you waking up at 6am and running 10 miles in your boxer shorts.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nismotic
If you don't adequately allow your car to warm up properly, it really sucks for the car when you put that amount of stress on it, especially in cold weather.

Best thing to do is to let your car warm up for 1-2 mins, then drive under 2k for a few mins until your temp rises.

Its the equivlent of you waking up at 6am and running 10 miles in your boxer shorts.

I really like the way put it

Andrei
Old 11-22-2004, 09:27 PM

Lets all run out in out boxers if we feel the need to race our cars cold. lol
Old 11-22-2004, 09:42 PM

sweet analogy. I do the same, if I dont get a chance to warm up the car, I keep the rpms low, until warmed.

what type of damage could be cause if improper warming up was done, plus high revving? warped block? tranny failure? piston death?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:44 PM
It's chrome alright...

Next time I hope you throw a rod.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is funny!! People do this and then start a thread about bad gas mileage!!?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I don't drive above 50 until I have hit 5 miles on the odometer then I let it rip.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:50 PM

Some people on these fourms don't see their own problems, when you floor it you use more gas than you would if you were to drive like a normal person.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:01 PM

in winter time i let my car warm up for 10 min... in summer time its 5 min... i dunno it feels better after that... thats ideling in the drive way... its all wamr and lubed up lol ... anyways its bad if u push hard the engine when it cold cause it causes bad wear on the engine parts... then if u do it too much ur engine will suck... and no theres not going to be engine rod trowing lol...
i saw this TOP GEAR video of a M5... when u start it up the RPM gauge has these lights that turn off one by one to show how safe it is to rev with out doin damage to the motor... when the engine is warmed up to its optimal operating tempeture all the lights go off and u can REDLINE that sucker...
Old 11-23-2004, 05:48 AM

your thermally shocking components if you go from being cold to getting hot real quick. that cant be good for your piston rings, they problaby dont expand adequately and then wear prematurely.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:12 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by NismoTunin
in winter time i let my car warm up for 10 min... in summer time its 5 min... i dunno it feels better after that... thats ideling in the drive way...
That is not good for the car either. All the parts and fluids take too long to get to operating temp using that method, plus it wastes fuel.

The best way to wram up the car is to just start driving. But drive easily at first. Oil temp takes about 5 minutes longer than coolant to get up to proper temp. So give it a few more minutes after your temp needle gets up before you romp on it.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:57 AM
xarfox

Originally Posted by mbenc
Some people on these fourms don't see their own problems, when you floor it you use more gas than you would if you were to drive like a normal person.

who's normal?? not me

ha ha haha

zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Old 11-23-2004, 08:00 AM

Get a remote start. My baby is nice and toasty when I get in in the morning.

BTW - I like to "Beat It" in my room, not my car....
Old 11-23-2004, 08:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

I believe E46 M3's have a rev limiter at 4k until the engine oil is up to operating temp, so in answer to your question, no, it's not good, and I agree with mzmtg as far as warming up goes.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
That is not good for the car either. All the parts and fluids take too long to get to operating temp using that method, plus it wastes fuel.

The best way to wram up the car is to just start driving. But drive easily at first. Oil temp takes about 5 minutes longer than coolant to get up to proper temp. So give it a few more minutes after your temp needle gets up before you romp on it.
ehh dunno.. been doin this for years car runs perfect... its ok i can waste some gas lol
Old 11-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

ehh dunno.. been doin this for years car runs perfect...
Doesn't mean it's the best thing to do....
Old 11-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Maxima Owner

S2000s wont go into VTEC until 3bars on the temp gauge
Old 11-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

How Cold are we talking? If it is below 0 yes it would be really bad. but if the out side temp is around +40 F that should not be that bad. as longest you drove the car about 5 min before you punch it.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:23 AM

It also depends on how "cold" it is, whether it is a Texas winter or a Canadian winter??? Last winter I had to face 2 to 3 weeks of near -40'C (which is the same as -40 F), I HAD to rev it at start up or it just stalled right away, even though I had it plugged in and a battery blanket.
Cheers.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

It doesn't matter on the temp outside, it matters more on the oil/coolant temperature, which mzmtg states it takes longer for the oil to reach operating temperature vs. coolant, which is what is read on the gauge.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Sitting Duck
It also depends on how "cold" it is, whether it is a Texas winter or a Canadian winter??? Last winter I had to face 2 to 3 weeks of near -40'C (which is the same as -40 F), I HAD to rev it at start up or it just stalled right away, even though I had it plugged in and a battery blanket.
Cheers.
Well in this extreme case, yes, the outside temp does have a little to do with it.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:43 AM

i dunno wat ive heard from my realtive who works on engines and goes to automotive skool, yes dirvin it is the fastes way but... not recommended.. cause if its warmed up the oil will protect the engine more during load so i dont see anything bad if i let it stand for 5+ min... yes i know i waste gas lol like ive said i own many 3 cars before the max and warmed up all of them the same... i think its good for the car if u let it sit and warm up and get properly lubed up and then put drivin load on it... but hey its just me sorry i dont have any hard facts to back this up i did google search but found notin special...
Old 11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
I need a truck

That's why remote start is great. Wake up at 6:40am hit remote start. Car runs for 12 minutes. In the car at 6:50am car is nice and warm. At work at 6:55am with a hot/cool car the whole time.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:18 AM

i dunno wat ive heard from my realtive who works on engines and goes to automotive skool, yes dirvin it is the fastes way but... not recommended.. cause if its warmed up the oil will protect the engine more during load so i dont see anything bad if i let it stand for 5+ min... yes i know i waste gas lol like ive said i own many 3 cars before the max and warmed up all of them the same... i think its good for the car if u let it sit and warm up and get properly lubed up and then put drivin load on it... but hey its just me sorry i dont have any hard facts to back this up i did google search but found notin special...
In other words you'd rather have your engine sit at idle while the oil gets to operating temperature longer, thus increasing the chances of more wear-tear in internal parts
Old 11-23-2004, 10:49 AM

why is it bad if its only for +5 minutes...? theres no load on it... some tree huger site said its bad for ur spark plugs and its better if restart the car more then ideling it.... thats just wares out the starter... ehh too many peeps have different opinion on this... ehh watever... btw ive been doin on my max since like 5OK now it has 235+K and i see no probs... only prob i have is a common chain job... thats it..
Old 11-23-2004, 11:14 AM

Just more wear and tear on your engine. They worst thing you can do to your car is to start it up.The second worst thing to do to your car is to NOT start it up.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It doesn't matter on the temp outside, it matters more on the oil/coolant temperature, which mzmtg states it takes longer for the oil to reach operating temperature vs. coolant, which is what is read on the gauge.

UMMMM, so it does not matter how worm or cold the outside temp is??? Well I am sure it does have a effect. The colder the outside temp, the colder the engine oil is going to be. It is common sense.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yes, but if it's 10 degrees F outside, and your car has fully warmed up, the outside temp is negligible, since the operating temp in the car is normal, relative to the outside, temp, common sense.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:33 AM

Yes, but if it's 10 degrees F outside, and your car has fully warmed up, the outside temp is negligible, since the operating temp in the car is normal, relative to the outside, temp, common sense.

I am talking about when your car is cold. Read what you have wrote in the last thread.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

IMO

To clear things up CystumMAx

It doesn't matter on the temp outside whether to warm it up or not, I never warm mine up just drive it lightly for the first few minutes, no matter if it's 0 F or 85 F.

Now if it's -40, I might consider letting idle a bit so it doesn't die on me.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:47 AM

IMO

To clear things up CystumMAx

It doesn't matter on the temp outside whether to warm it up or not, I never warm mine up just drive it lightly for the first few minutes, no matter if it's 0 F or 85 F.

Now if it's -40, I might consider letting idle a bit so it doesn't die on me.
Ok elaborate on why should drive the car instead of letting worm up for 2-5 min?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by CystumMax
Ok elaborate on why should drive the car instead of letting worm up for 2-5 min?
No, I don't feel like it because it's a and we all have our different ways.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:03 PM

No, I don't feel like it because it's a and we all have our different ways.
I guess you have your point. I usally worm my car up about 5 min that is it. no more then that. then I drive it slow until the temp gauge is on normal operation, then I'll speed if I have too.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:53 PM

WTFFFFFFF!!! dont let your car idle more than 5mins in the cold! just start your car wait about ONE MINUTE THE MOST, then start driving, you dont want all the oil in the motor to get too hot and spool around the engine and bla bla bla. just start the car up, count to 30 and drive, some cars your not suppose to warm them up, like bmw's once you start it you drive it. and i think Dave S or Dave B has a writeup about this awile back
Old 11-23-2004, 01:12 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
WTFFFFFFF!!! dont let your car idle more than 5mins in the cold! just start your car wait about ONE MINUTE THE MOST, then start driving, you dont want all the oil in the motor to get too hot and spool around the engine and bla bla bla
Right idea, wrong reason...nothing to do with oil getting "too hot" and "spooling around the engine"

.......but there are 3 other threads on this so
Old 11-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sitting Duck
Cheers.
Damn i bet your car feels really fast with that cold, and dense of air. Talk about a cold air intake lol.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:46 PM

when my car is cold i just hold it in first gear and cruise at redline for a couple miles.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:20 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
when my car is cold i just hold it in first gear and cruise at redline for a couple miles.
Pull the e-brake a couple clicks, too
Old 11-23-2004, 03:05 PM

Turbos and SC's should be warmed up before operation

Quick Reply: "Beating" on it in the cold weather?