4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Confronting the mecanic....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 10:04 AM

OK, here is the question. I had a broken sunroof (but working sunshade) and had the sunroof assembly replaced. The day after I picked up a car (I picked it up after work) the aluminum things on the sunshade that slide on the sunroof railing broke- I only opened and closed it maybe 10-15 times, trying to test if it was really fixed. Anyway, I took it to a mechanic and he says that he'll replace the sunshade free, if I get a new one. (We never actually discussed who was to blame for the breakage as I did not want any confrontation over what I thought would be a relatively cheap part AND also because I thought that maybe my opening & closing broke it, even though it should not have).
Now that I am thinking about it- he had to take it out of the sunroof assembly, in order to put in the new assembly. And that's when I think he bent the clips, so that they broke the next day after a few openings (once aluminum is bent it breaks very easily).

Now, I am thinking of confronting him (I doubt that he'll give in too easily given that the cheapest sunshade I was able to find runs just short of $300).

Am I right in my intentions?

Thanks a lot
Roman
Old 04-18-2001, 11:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, I would go and confront because you have nothing to lose by trying. The best thing would have been to talk to him when you first noticed the damage. However, what's done is done. If the mechanic is honest, he will work with you.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
Yes, I would go and confront because you have nothing to lose by trying. The best thing would have been to talk to him when you first noticed the damage. However, what's done is done. If the mechanic is honest, he will work with you.
Thanks,
I did bring it up when I noticed it- but at the time I was not certain that it was his fault. I thought that maybe it "just broke", as a result of a casual wear and tear, kind of. He agreed to do the labor, and I never pressed him for the part. Now that I am thinking about it, I believe it was his fault as he actually had to take it out of the old assembly and put into the new one. That's when, I think he bent the clips (or whatever they are called). Given that they are made from aluminum, they broke briefly afterwards. Again, the sunshade itself was working perfectly until I brought the car in.

Thanks again