4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

exhaust/lowering springs-pulled over?-stupid parents!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 08:25 AM

exhaust/lowering springs-pulled over?-stupid parents!

Ok first off my fiance Heather and i live in my parents basement because we are still getting on our feet from the birth of our daughter. but anyway...i owe my mom like $800 still from a bill she paid for us. We agreed on me paying her $100 a check so $200 a month. So one would assume that any money after that and after my car payment diapers and all that good stuff i could use my money for what i want right? So i went ahead and bought some lowering springs, and shipped them to somone elses address down the street just incase the rents would have a problem. So i picked them up last week and put them under our christmas tree lol (in our room). Heather and i go to the shower with the baby monitor on, all of a sudden we get out and theres my dad holding the baby...WTF is that s*it, she was sleeping and he goes and takes her, but thats the least of my concerns. He starts saying go buy this go buy that, o wait you cant cause you spend all your money on car parts. So now both parents are sitting upstairs saying how my exhaust is way too loud for the neighborhood and im gonna get pulled over. Also how if i put the springs on that it will be like waving a red flag waiting for a cop to pull me over, they keep going on and on about how i should be giving them my extra hundred or so dollars after i pay all my expenses and i shouldnt have any money to have fun with and do what i want with. They agree i should have money but it "cant" be used on car parts and if i "want to buy car parts the money needs to go to them." does anyone else have people on there back for nothing and constantly saying your gonna get pulled over for putting somthing so stupid as springs or too loud of exhaust when it clearly doesnt break the 98db sound limit here. besides that my neighbor has a new dodge ram with straight pipes and also goes to work at like 6 in the morning, how is that quieter than mine?????!? its also raised like 10 inches i swear that thing is a monster truck. But yet i cant lower or have a quieter exhaust because i wake people up? i dont think so, weve never gotten a call or complaint yet . just needed to vent this and want to know if anyone else has the same or close to the same situation happen to them? or comments on the getting pulled over thing? Thanks -Ryan
Old 11-28-2004, 08:39 AM

Typical parental behavior. But you're 19 with a kid, maybe a suspension isn't top priority right now.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:45 AM

well of course its not top priority but the fact that i DO get all my payments in on time for car and insurance and also buy the things we need for the baby and pay my parents what they asked for from each check. Yet still the money i actually am supposed to be able use on what i want cant be used on car parts or whatever they say because its supposedly is up to them what i use it for. If its anything for the car they say they want the money insted cause thats not the kinda fun i should be having? the only things ive ever spent my fun money on is Heather the baby or my car why should it change now? it will obviously change once we get moved out but as long as i have the money now why not get what i want so i have it before i cant buy anything at all.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:46 AM

I agree with Chenzarino, if you have child especially a baby still modding your car isnt the best thing to do right now, you'll have day care to pay for ($~200 a WEEK!!) among other things.

Your car should come way down on the list compared to your child, plus getting out of your parents house to get on your own feet. I know its hard cause you come on here and see all these sick max's with drops, leds, guages etc. but maybe when the child is older.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You're 19 with a kid, living at your parents' house, you owe your mom money ("payment plan" or not) and you're complaining because your parents don't want you buying an exhaust system? Wow. How about paying rent? Tuition? Work some extra hours to pay back your mom and move out of their house? But damn, you're spending money on your car. You're right - parents just don't understand.

well another thing, not to say that your wrong but Heather doesnt work so shes home to take care of the baby all day. Also the car is the last thing i spend my money on, i dont buy anything for it until everything is paid up to date. The only debt i have is that money i owe my mom which we have a written agreement that i only have to give her $100 out of every check. -Ryan *edit* weasel, i already have all the parts its just that i bought them and i "shouldnt" have. that will smith pic is the gayest thing ive ever seen . Yes its time to move out quickly!

sounds to me like you should get them paid back as soon as possible, even ahead of schedule if your finances allow, since they did help you out with the bill when you couldn't do it. and maybe your extra money should go into savings so you can get your own place sooner or something. i don't mean to be a d!ck but sometimes your money has to have priorities and the car might not be it.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:57 AM

i dont really have plans on buying anything else for the car anymore so i suppose ill just pay her off faster so i can save a little and we can move out sooner. Its just that all this stuff came on so fast and i didnt have a job for a while, but i now have a really good paying job so i have this money and the plans i still had from before the baby was here. Im happy with my car now if i can get the springs installed, which is another thing, i dont really have tools for it...i can borrow some socket sets and whatnot from some buddys and go get some spring compressors from autozone. Its either that of pay like $170 for a shop to do it, which is way too much in my opinion. Anyone know exacly what id need to do an install alone? i know whats all involved and im asuming just basic tools and im gonna get a deep well socket set, would i need anything special like a breaker bar or anything to crack those strut bolts loose? i also have some cinder blocks a hydrolic jack and jackstands. anything else so i dont need to spend more money? thanks -Ryan
Old 11-28-2004, 09:07 AM

Man it looks like you have your hands full. I cant even think about getting married and being a father. Anyways The only way to get your parents off your back is to save the money that you would spend on the car, to move out. Until you do that, your in there house and under there rule. If you pay rent then thats a diffrent story. You should be able to do what you want if you pay rent. But still you have to move out
Old 11-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Maxima.Org Bishes

yeah i go though the same thing my mom says i'm too obsessed with my car but hey it's an hobby for me plus i don't have any else to do. Here is some advice Ryan this what you should do save your money or part of it and move out. My Uncle is a Doctor and he rents out apartments in Wisconsin if you are lookin for something let me know ok, but hey cont.. to put you daughter first, Hey we are all some crackheads when it comes to our cars, it took me a long time to do what i have done to my car.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:16 AM
UCF Lexus

Wow......
Old 11-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Originally Posted by 90stanza
Man it looks like you have your hands full. I cant even think about getting married and being a father. Anyways The only way to get your parents off your back is to save the money that you would spend on the car, to move out. Until you do that, your in there house and under there rule. If you pay rent then thats a diffrent story. You should be able to do what you want if you pay rent. But still you have to move out
But even though he pays rent his parents seem to see him as (HE still is under my roof i can still control Him) they can just come into his place without notice. Yeah the best thing to do is move out then you wouldn't have to hear your parents mouth, they like to keep us on our toes.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Always sunny in philly

No more money should be spent on the car PERIOD. Your parents are just upset that you still owe them money and see you have more car parts. I'm not trying to be an as*, but you know you have a far larger responsibility than your car now, so there should be no reason to further hook up your car. Save that "extra" money up for emergencies...if your car breaks down, medical emergencies, whatever. Its good to have you on the org, but you have to stop modding your car.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:59 AM

what springs did you end up getting?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:22 AM

i got a set of used B&G's from dashingmax here on the org so i didnt have to pay big $ for new ones. I totally understand what everyone is saying here, thanks for the advise everybody. About the springs...
i can borrow some socket sets and whatnot from some buddys and go get some spring compressors from autozone. Its either that of pay like $170 for a shop to do it, which is way too much in my opinion. Anyone know exacly what id need to do an install alone? i know whats all involved and im asuming just basic tools and im gonna get a deep well socket set, would i need anything special like a breaker bar or anything to crack those strut bolts loose? i also have some cinder blocks a hydrolic jack and jackstands. anything else so i dont need to spend more money?
anyone know if i need anything else according to what i said what i have above? i would really appriceate it sense its cold as heck out and is gonna be hard enough being outside for a few hours doing this and if i all of a sudden i find out i dont have somthing i need im gonna be stuck pretty much. so if anyone could help me out. Also i may be stupid or somthing but my springs have a coil thats wrapped with a black rubber coating, would that go on top of the spring or bottom when installing i dont know which way it goes? thanks a ton for all the help guys -Ryan
Old 11-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Have child ONLY when u can afford them to....

I don't want to offend u but don't u think u should step up more as a parent..

Modding car isn't bad but c'mon modding car when u have debts ???
Old 11-28-2004, 12:23 PM

They are upset because you bought the springs b4 paying off you debt.
If you had an extra hundred or 2 you should have given it to your parents that way the debt would be paid off faster. Then when you have on obligation to your paresnts (money wise) then you can do whatever you want with your $.
(I say this from experience, I still live with my parents and did the same thing not to long ago.)
Old 11-28-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by dan83lee
Have children only when you can afford to have them.

I don't want to offend you but don't you think you should step up as a parent?

Modding car your isn't bad, but come on, modding your car when you have debts?
Sorry I had to make that easier to read. Not because I am a grammar ****, but because you are right.

If you are 19, have a kid, live in your parent's house and your parents are always on your back, then you have much greater issues to deal with than your car.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:40 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

hey ryan, why dont you ask dave or hector to help you with the install. THey did maxdaddy98's and i'm sure they wouldn't charge you the 170 that a shop would.

I would be able to help out.

Youre only an hour away.

I completely undersatnd how you feel about the whole parent thing, mine said the same thing about my exhaust, wide rims, supercharger, cefiro lights, you name it.

you have to learn to do the whole uh huh, yeah dad and ignore. i seem to have mastered it a long time ago.

hit me on aim
Old 11-28-2004, 12:54 PM

Dude, the responsible thing is to pay your parents back before you waste it on the car. Trust me when I say that you're going to need all the money you can get when that kid comes.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If this was supposed to be the pitty me thread, you better think twice, maybe three times about how you spend your money given the situation your in right now.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:34 PM

well I'm sure you've gotten the point from us on here.

you have the springs now and I'm sure dont plan on selling them for extra money.

there is a write up in the stickies, I think the link is working again. You shouldnt need anything special besides what you listed. Air tools would help the process go much much faster. if you cant find a link let me know, I saved it in a word file in my Maxima folder on my computer
Old 11-28-2004, 01:52 PM

god bless the pill
Old 11-28-2004, 01:54 PM

just to clear some things up here, deezo, my daughter is already 3+ months old so i know how much there was to pay and why im just starting to get extra cash again. njmax, no its not a pity me thread i just wanted to see what yall thought of what i should be doing because i dont really talk to anyone about this kinda stuff so i thought it would be smart to talk to some other maxima/car guys to see maybe previous experiances or thoughts and whatnot. I of course got alot of very good responses and now see what needs to be done. Dan83lee, i think i did a very good job stepping up, i didnt run off when the baby came i stayed with them throughout the whole thing. I was there to pay whatever expenses were needed at the time. We have plenty of clothes for the baby. I also think that working to support 3 people and still having a little money left over after that, car payments, insurance, cell phone, and paying off my mom little by little is a pretty hard thing to do. When it comes time to move out its gonna be a tight sqweez but im sure we can do it, plus im looking to get bumped up to a new position at work soon making a $1.50 more an hour. Theres also comission to be made, as much as $600 per month on top of base pay over $11 an hour. So pretty soon here we should be ready to get moving, but for now its time to save. Want to thank those who gave examples and good pointers i owe yall one. -Ryan
Old 11-28-2004, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pimpmobile
god bless the pill
haha thats a good one pimp, my lady was on the pill when she got preggo so watch out for that.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:57 PM

life's a bunch of ups and downs, at least those springs will let you handle everything........comfortably
Old 11-28-2004, 02:05 PM

Don't waste your money on your car. You have more important things that should be taken care of.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
haha thats a good one pimp, my lady was on the pill when she got preggo so watch out for that.
Thats what she told you

Grow up and learn to take responsiblity... your parents have more than the right to tell you what to do, you live in their house and I"m more than sure they help you out more than your saying.

From the day that baby was born your life will never be the same again... Your first priority in life isnt your car, its that baby and your girl. Your car means nothing now. I'm not trying to sound mean but even if your making payments to your parents or bills, if you have any extra money just put it away for your baby, you never know when soemthing god forbid happens.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Sold

Hey, what does his "wife" think of him spending $'s on his car when he could be starting a collage fund for his baby?
My wife almost kicked my *** when I bought a sway bar when my daughter was born. Like the rest of the people said here, take responsibility, there's more to life than your car. You have a wonderful kid (i'm sure) and a great fiancee. Put them first. Stuff will come along for the car. 12.50/hr isn't a lot of money. If you want a different way of looking at things you spend money on, think of it like this...
Installing springs you said were 170$. How many hours does it take you to work to make that 170 bux? Don't forget to take off taxes and benefits off of your total. Where I come from, 25% of my pretax income goes to deductions and crap. So...
take $170 times 25% = 212.50. That's how much you have to earn BEFORE you can pay for those springs to get installed.
$212.50 divided by 12.50/hr = 17 hours of work. 2 full days and then some of 10 in a pay period.
Now, ask yourself if it's worth it?
I used that example because they were easy numbers to work with. 2 full days of income that could go towards something else. Take the girl to dinner and have a babysitter. Get some educational toys for the baby. Buy books for the baby. Your babys mind never has the ability to learn more than in his/her first year of life. Think about that.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:42 PM

well to tell ya the truth JS, as everyone around the chitown/WI area would tell ya, The wife to be loves cars as much as i do and also has a maxima which we were in the process of painting (primered as of now until further notice) but were not putting money into that anymore. She eventually wants the stillen kit, y pipe with catback, and a "white" interior...shes a bit of a ricey type i know. Also shes the one who pointed out that dashingmax was selling all his stuff on here lol. I was looking for springs and then went with his so it all worked out. I just hope the install goes pretty easy im gonna cross my fingers, but as in any install theres always complications. wish me luck and im gonna install and have pics within a week so by next Sat or Sun ill post pics up . -Ryan
Old 11-28-2004, 05:53 PM

So Joos,

since your daughter is 3 months old, you should really put the car on hold. Your daughter WILL get sick a lot and you'll be in and out of the doctors office kicking out copays everytime you go. When my baby was that young, I didn't do shyte to my car but change the oil. I bought most of my mods way before she was born so that I could have my toys. I had my springs, struts and VI sitting in a closet for a loooooooooooooong time until my daughter became less dependant. Now she's almost 2, I spend more time back on the Max. Oh, and I have a 7 year old also.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:00 PM

I think you need to move out of your parent's house. It's awesome that your fiancee' loves cars too, so you will be in the future able to do whatever to your car, but for now, pay off the rents and move out. Once you move out your parents will be all over you **** that they miss you and blah blah. Mine want me to move back in, and I say Hella no! There's a reason why you move out. You can still mod your car if you save up for it. I am a school teacher and would love to sc, stillen, y pipe and all that to my car, but I have to spend money in other places first and modding comes way last... Good luck with finding a new home... Also, your wife won't be as eager to mod her car once she sees the cute curtains at the store that she has to have, and not to mention all the f-ing pots and pans you will need to have. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:53 PM

this is heather, for one thing yes i was using birth control to whoever said that i only told ryan that i was...or whatever...second off im not one of those types of girls that are into curtains lol or pots and pans. ive been lookin on this site for awhile now and i dont have my own name so i dont post, i see pics of all your cars and vids(ryan shows me) and they are tight. About the pots, pans and curtains..id rather be looking at cars then that kinda stuff lol. although we know that we need em, but thats a great thing for christmas and what my mom is buyin us as a gift. yes ryan and i are young parents, im 17 and hes 19 and our daughter is 3months old...but we are very very very good parents and love her very much. so whoever said that ryan should step up as a parent, trust me he has..he isnt like all the other guys that find out that their girls are preg and leave..he stayed by my side the whole time. Just wanted to clear that up also. i have to go mackenzie is cryin
Old 11-28-2004, 08:05 PM

I'm not giving advice, but...

When I was your age, I had just bought my first new car...1973 Capri. That was a riot. Fast forward 31 years...this is reality.
Take care of your family. Believe it or not, this woman and child ARE a part of your life now and forever. No matter how "hot" you two seem to be for mods on a car, make sure the rent is paid (not at the parents), the groceries are bought (not at the parents) and everything else is up to date. When you have a little extra don't spend it all on the car. When you have a lot of extra, NEVER spend it ALL on the car.
Cars come and go...I have owned over 100 in the last 35 years. Take care of what is important...your mate and your child. The rest will come with ease.

I am an OLD motorhead from way back.
When I was 3 years old I could ID a Pontiac by the Indian on the hood
I could ID a Chevy by its bow tie.
I could ID a Caddy by the wreath and crest.
I could ID a Mercury by the flying head.
I could ID an Olds by the Rocket on its hood,
and a Chrysler by its wings.
The most "exotic" car my family ever owned was a 1959 Chrysler New Yorker with a 413 wedge.
Plymouths were "Mayflowers" and Dodge cars just had no place in the garage.
My grandmother owned a pink 1959 Rambler AMerican with a Continental kit.

My dad (age 79) just bought his first "new" car: 2005 Chrysler 300C.

Smell the coffee a brewin'. Keep your priorities in order. Everything will be ok.
1999 Infiniti I30
1998 Nissan Sentra (kids)
1997 Ford Contour (kids)
1992 Ford Ranger
1991 Honda Civic Wagon
1990 Nissan Maxima (118k orginal)
1989 Ford Thinderbird (52k original)

1983 Honda CB1000C (x2)
2002 Honda 919 "Hornet"
Old 11-28-2004, 08:11 PM

heather again- i have a ford contour that ryans parents got for me for when i was preg and when i drove back and forth to my home and ryan. we still have that car and then we got the 95 maxima and we are startin our new project on painting it. its primored(sp?) and thats bout it for now. not doin anything else til later on, like in the summer..and ryan isnt buyin anymore car parts. i wont let him. he already has everything else and the springs was last on his list. o and a body kit but hes not gettin that for awhile he said.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Sold

hey, if she's 17 now and has a 3 month old... pregnant for 40 weeks which means 10 months that all adds up to her being 16 maybe 15.
Am I the only one who has a problem with this?
I don't mean to trash on your choices as "consenting adults" but at 15/16 years old are you really consenting adults?
Old 11-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by JSMax
hey, if she's 17 now and has a 3 month old... pregnant for 40 weeks which means 10 months that all adds up to her being 16 maybe 15.
Am I the only one who has a problem with this?
I don't mean to trash on your choices as "consenting adults" but at 15/16 years old are you really consenting adults?

Werd.

I fear for the newer generations
Old 11-28-2004, 10:26 PM

Hey kblast, how do you like the 919? do they handle like the CBRs or are they heavier?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:06 AM

sounds like a jerry springer family to me... well, actually, sounds like a typical FL family...
Old 11-29-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
my daughter is already 3+ months old so i know how much there was to pay and why im just starting to get extra cash again.

plus im looking to get bumped up to a new position at work soon making a $1.50 more an hour. Theres also comission to be made, as much as $600 per month on top of base pay over $11 an hour. So pretty soon here we should be ready to get moving, but for now its time to save. Want to thank those who gave examples and good pointers i owe yall one. -Ryan
Ryan .... you have absolutely no clue how expensive it's going to get. Even though my wife and I make a LOT of money, it still gets tight with a $1800 mortgage, day care for our son, a car payment for my wife's Benz, car insurance, medical insurance, typical bills, food, etc.

No offense, but you need to do a bit of soul searching if you're living at home with a baby and still spending money on your car to modify it. What you should consider is selling your mods, paying off your parents and getting your priorities straight.

Sorry to be an **** to you, but you're a father now, your car should be the last thing you sink money into. You need to think about planning for your daughter's future.

Quick Reply: exhaust/lowering springs-pulled over?-stupid parents!