4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 05:03 PM

Bose Problem

The lighting display on the Bose fades in and out. One minute its bright, the next dim and often no display at all.....Anyone have this problem or know solution to fixing it?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2004, 05:04 PM

BTW it works perfectly and sounds great besides the issue listed above
Old 11-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Donating i30 Owner

ahhh does it happen when u press the brakes.. i know ti souds stupid.. but these cars are sorta wired senstive.. i disconnected my hazard/clock/defrost button from the dash... shure everything is fine.. then im on the highway.. cop pull sme over.. son u didnt signal.. im like .. huh? and then i hit the signla.. ahh im sorry officer .. i dont think its working.. i took out the vent that houses the hazard and defrost and clock.. on my i30.. so i told him someone stole it.. so he let me off.. anyway.. then i realized that when i hti the brake.. the Bose display would dim.. im like wtf..

anyway.. appartantly there isnt enough resistance if things are unplugged and left alone.. so yea.. once plugged in.. everything is dandy...
Old 11-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^ i dont think it has anything to do with that.

thers a fix for that in the how-to, its a 520 ohm resistor thats solder isn't making propery contact. depending on temperature and humidity i think, the solder shrinks and expands causing the connection to engage and disengage. make sure you check the faq's and the how tos for the common bose fix. its in a howto by madchef
Old 11-28-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
thers a fix for that in the how-to, its a 520 ohm resistor thats solder isn't making propery contact. depending on temperature and humidity i think, the solder shrinks and expands causing the connection to engage and disengage.

geez, i guess its the night of bad responses. first of all, its a 470 ohm resistor. second of all, it has nothing to do with humidity. in fact, over time, the solder uses just plainly, looses conductivity.

this has happened to me with 2 different BOSE headunits.

The fix for it IS in a sticky, but you dont need to replace the resistor. just simply solder it back on. since the solder goes bad, it just need a new application. believe me, i have done this twice so far, both successfully fixing the non-working BOSE display both times.

just locate the resistr following the sticky's directions. take the smallest flat head you can find, and with your hand cupped over the resistor, pop it off, catching it in your hand. be careful, it is very small. then, resolder the restor back into place (it doesnt matter upside down, crooked, whatever. jsut make sure that the solder is in contact with both of teh metal contacts on the circuit board, along with contact on the resistor itself.

Let me know if you try this and how it turns out. GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:35 PM

actually, if you wanted, you could send it to me and i could do it for you. up to you, let me know.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jackiss2888
geez, i guess its the night of bad responses. first of all, its a 470 ohm resistor. second of all, it has nothing to do with humidity. in fact, over time, the solder uses just plainly, looses conductivity.

this has happened to me with 2 different BOSE headunits.

The fix for it IS in a sticky, but you dont need to replace the resistor. just simply solder it back on. since the solder goes bad, it just need a new application. believe me, i have done this twice so far, both successfully fixing the non-working BOSE display both times.

just locate the resistr following the sticky's directions. take the smallest flat head you can find, and with your hand cupped over the resistor, pop it off, catching it in your hand. be careful, it is very small. then, resolder the restor back into place (it doesnt matter upside down, crooked, whatever. jsut make sure that the solder is in contact with both of teh metal contacts on the circuit board, along with contact on the resistor itself.

Let me know if you try this and how it turns out. GOOD LUCK!
sorry i typed fast, and im sure it has to do with ambient temp and humidity. it does affect the coefficient of expansion of the solder. and yes your right re-heating solder will fix it. and yeah 470 ohm, i think the other one that givee "CD err" was 520 ohms, i stand corrected. sorry for the obscure response. i gues si typed too quickly, i apologize.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
sorry i typed fast, and im sure it has to do with ambient temp and humidity. it does affect the coefficient of expansion of the solder. and yes your right re-heating solder will fix it. and yeah 470 ohm, i think the other one that givee "CD err" was 520 ohms, i stand corrected. sorry for the obscure response. i gues si typed too quickly, i apologize.

its ok, i guess i can let it slide...