4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How long does it take for the ECU to get it's readings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How long does it take for the ECU to get it's readings?

Emissions test time. Like a dumba$$, I reset the ECU right before I went to get it tested to get rid of my vehicle speed sensor code (they won't test if the cel is on.)
I failed because half the readings were "not ready."

Anyone know how long it takes? The GA State guide they gave me says 2 weeks but if I wait that long I have to pay some kind of late fee for the tag. I guessing it has more to do with miles driven than time, but not sure.

Thanks
Gavin
Old 11-29-2004, 02:53 PM

Depends on whats the problem but drive it around for about an hour. Should come up within that time. Otherwise keep driving.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by maxima_kid
Depends on whats the problem but drive it around for about an hour. Should come up within that time. Otherwise keep driving.
Do you know of a way to tell when the ECU is "ready?"
When you fail an emissions test here in GA you get one more test for free. If you fail again you have to start paying again.
The only reason I failed is that about half of the readings came up "not ready."
Old 11-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The ECU is always ready. Resetting it only clears stored error codes, it does not reset or change any operating parameters. Your car should be fully warmed up, well into operating temperature before you go for an inspection. That assures your emissions systems are working correctly and helps you pass a smog test. State inspections will plug into your cars ECU and look for any stored error coeds. If they find one, you will fail the inspection.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Your car should be fully warmed up, well into operating temperature before you go for an inspection.
Perhaps that's the problem. It was only about 2 miles to the inspector; temp needle was where is usually is by then but maybe I should driven a little longer.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:24 AM

resetting the ecu does reset the OBDII emissions moniters. There is a certain drive sequence you have to do that the dealer has, but it is an extreme pain to do. From my experience as an emission tester, you have to drive around for at least 1-2 weeks before your moniters are back to normal. We've had people drive around for a month and their moniters still weren't ready for testing which would cause them to fail.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by A32Matt
resetting the ecu does reset the OBDII emissions moniters. There is a certain drive sequence you have to do that the dealer has, but it is an extreme pain to do. From my experience as an emission tester, you have to drive around for at least 1-2 weeks before your moniters are back to normal. We've had people drive around for a month and their moniters still weren't ready for testing which would cause them to fail.
cool. Thanks for the info! I may give the dealer a shout and find out what the drive sequence is.